Hiring steps sequence (COVID Edition)

Hi all, thanks for providing such a great place for learning and guidance.  I did lots of searching across the boards and still had a few questions on the ANG/Res hiring process coming from the civilian side.

Some context: 31, part 121 airline captain w/ 4 yr degree, needs LASIK or PRK.  Living local-ish to 3 heavy units.

1. I read that this time of year is normally quiet for UPT board announcements because it's just past the fiscal year end; should we expect to see a number of new FY21 UPT postings over the holiday season? (alt question: are heavy unit boards usually 1/year?)

2. I'd like to knock out the AFOQT+TBAS asap.  With COVID, is the quickest way still to call/email squadron POCs themselves and request an appointment?

3. Since I need LASIK or PRK, should I start working that independently, or first contact the units i'm interested in for guidance on their waiver process?  I've heard that some states' ANGs still require PRK over LASIK even though USAF allows both, and this is the step I'm most cautious about. How time critical is this part; is there still a 6-month gap between the surgery and FC1 eligibility? (I'm assuming the surgery must be done prior to any interviews?)

Thank you so much in advance.

Edited by tristate678

2. You don't need to contact the POC to schedule an AFOQT or TBAS. You can call the local MEPS/base education facilities to take the AFOQT, and look up a place to take the TBAS (probably an AFROTC unit) without any contact from a unit.

3. I'm kind of outside of my lane here, but the ANG will follow whatever the AF policy is. I'd read up on the FC1 standards (found online), make sure you line up with the pre-op standards, get the surgery done... and document the ever loving shit out of it. Every appointment you made before, during and after should be on paper, to make sure the AF docs will be able to answer any questions. Fairly sure there's a gap between surgery and flying. Can't verify if its 6 months, but it should be in the regs that I mentioned before.

For 1., It just depends on the manning situation of each unit. Some places hire once a year, some twice, some once every 2 years. They all do they're own thing based on when they expect to have manning shortages based on current retirement rates or guys leaving. You can just call each unit and see when they are expecting to have a board. But, you need those test scores before you worry about who has a board when. 

On 10/19/2020 at 9:56 PM, tristate678 said:

3. Since I need LASIK or PRK, should I start working that independently, or first contact the units i'm interested in for guidance on their waiver process?  I've heard that some states' ANGs still require PRK over LASIK even though USAF allows both, and this is the step I'm most cautious about. How time critical is this part; is there still a 6-month gap between the surgery and FC1 eligibility? (I'm assuming the surgery must be done prior to any interviews?)

• Since I need LASIK or PRK, should I start working that independently, or first contact the units i'm interested in for guidance on their waiver process?
    Yes. For me, whether military flying was gonna work out, it was well worth it for convenience of life. You don't really need to contact the units about this specifically. Your unit doesn't handle the waiver so they'll probably shrug their shoulders. 

• I've heard that some states' ANGs still require PRK over LASIK even though USAF allows both
    To pass FC1, either PRK or LASIK is approved, subject to the pre-op limits. Within the limits, no waiver is needed assuming good outcome/no complications. Outside the limits, but below a higher limit, a waiver is needed. I suppose a guard unit can specifically require one over the other, but I have never seen this myself and can't think of a reason they would be more restrictive than USAFSAM standards. 

• How time critical is this part; is there still a 6-month gap between the surgery and FC1 eligibility?
    Not really that time critical. There is a 6 month period (you will need pre-op cycloplegic refraction, laser report, 3 and 6 month post-op report. Although I also got a 1 day and then 1 month assessment). MEPS will require similar paperwork. But assuming you get PRK/LASIK AFTER you get hired, it'd probably still be 5-6 months until you get to go do your FC1. I've seen people go within 2 months of getting hired, but they're usually prior/current service so they don't need to go through the enlistment process first.

• I'm assuming the surgery must be done prior to any interviews?
    See above, some squadrons I've seen ask that you submit the waiver checklist if you've done the surgery with your application, so... it might be easier to hold off so you don't need extra s#!t to submit with your packet but ultimately up to you. I already had mine done by the time I started applying. It's not in my experience that they're gonna ask how your eyes are in an interview anyway.

Not related to your post really, but have baller AFOQT scores (I'm talking like 90+) and be able to talk confidently to the board about why you are trying to fly into the military now at a slightly older age and after already having a flying career and seniority at your 121 gig (assuming you're non prior service). Start calling up squadrons and networking now if you haven't yet. 

Thanks for the responses so far.

I'll call my local MEPS as soon as I get through a few more practice exams.  On that note- I ordered the Trivium AFOQT prep book.. are there any other highly-recommended resources I should explore?

Thanks for the documentation advice, I'll be extra anal about scanning in everything and start getting the ball rolling.  Where might I find that waiver checklist?  @1nfrequentF1yer

17 hours ago, 1nfrequentF1yer said:
  • Not related to your post really, but have baller AFOQT scores (I'm talking like 90+) and be able to talk confidently to the board about why you are trying to fly into the military now at a slightly older age and after already having a flying career and seniority at your 121 gig (assuming you're non prior service). Start calling up squadrons and networking now if you haven't yet.

Good insight, thanks.  Based on what I've learned from acquaintences in the Guard, my motivation (hopefully) matches the general atmosphere of the Heavy community- basically I miss working & building relationships with a core team of people, unlike the day job where I'm flying with new strangers every trip (or even every leg). Plus the flying seems much more meaningful, challenging, and interesting.

I'll start getting in touch with squadrons; being in the Northeast might especially limit the chances of visiting in-person, sadly 🙁

Edited by tristate678