Hired at two units.

Hello everyone,

In March I was hired with a unit and I'm in the middle of all the processing paperwork. I've gone to MEPS for them, swore in, and I'm in the middle of the background check. I've applied to a few units and my top choice was delayed a little but I just got notice that my top unit is offering me a job. It's the airframe and mission I want and it's where my family lives. The other unit is a bit far. I really want my top choice unit obviously as that is what would work best for me but I'm unsure how to proceed. My top unit knows I've already been hired at another unit but I'm unsure how to explain this to the unit that I was already hired at. Have other people had this experience? What's the best course of action? 

Thanks for the time.

If you already swore in, they own you. Explain the situation to them ASAP. They might decide to release you and hire an alternate. They might say no. Since you already swore in, the decision is their's. Best thing you can do is let them know immediately so that if they do decide to release you they don't waste anymore of their time and resources onboarding you.

• Like 1

I hear you man, but you have a slot, take it and run. You could have the alternative, which would be No slot, No flying, anywhere.  Unless you need to be around your hometown to take care of ailing family members long term, I don't see your hiring unit to be very sympathetic to your situation at this point.

It’s your longterm life - are you going to resent not saying anything in 5-10 years? Is this a “huge” deal or a “nice to have?” Would you still enjoy living in the current location, or is back home really that much better? Without knowing details of your situation, nobody can give you an informed answer. On one hand I’d say “sounds good” and send you to your preferred unit and get the alternate in who truly is “all in;” I don’t want a guy who’s going to regret being around the squadron. But I can see the other side of the coin as well in terms of resources already invested. But, sounds like they haven’t invested a ton yet (OTS, UPT, etc.), and this discussion does not get better with time. 

The answer to my initial questions probably should drive this decision. Keep in mind that when all you know is one place, it seems weird to move somewhere far away. I live 2k miles away from where I grew up...loved growing up where I did, and love living where I do now. I had the choice when I punched from AD, and still went this direction. Don’t be afraid of the unknown. 

Go to the unit which is your top pick and more convenient for yourself, your family and your dreams.  You've already sworn into one unit, so it's ultimately up to them to let you go, but if they've done their due diligence, they'll have an alternate ready to go.  Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be upfront and honest and let the cards fall where they may.  Personally, if we hired a guy that later was hired at his dream assignment, I would be happy for them and do what I could to them get there....and our alternate would be ecstatic.  It might be good to get the bosses at each unit in the loop or talking to each other.  We hired an enlisted kid from our base who already had a spot at another base (4 states away)...our SQ/CCs talked to each other and it was easy as that.  The other squadron released him with well wishes.

Unsolicited wisdom:  I'm nearing the end of my career in the Air Guard and here are a few things you should digest and never forget, especially if/when you get a family.  In the military, noone will ever take care of you, better than you will.  Also, when you leave, there will always be someone there to fill the spot and the machine will keep turning.  That's not saying you ALWAYS only do what is best for you or otherwise be a shitbag, just that sometimes you have to stick up for yourself and what you want.

Best of luck!

16 hours ago, CavGuy said:

I don't see your hiring unit to be very sympathetic to your situation at this point.

Based on your scree name, I assume you're former Army?  If so, that type of attitude may be a thing over there, but it shouldn't be on this side of things.  If that's the mentality within a unit, run (don't walk) away from them as soon as you can.  If that's how they treat people with something like this, it will only get worse down the road.  Why would you want someone in your unit that would rather be elsewhere?  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SocialD said:

Go to the unit which is your top pick and more convenient for yourself, your family and your dreams.  You've already sworn into one unit, so it's ultimately up to them to let you go, but if they've done their due diligence, they'll have an alternate ready to go.  Biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be upfront and honest and let the cards fall where they may.  Personally, if we hired a guy that later was hired at his dream assignment, I would be happy for them and do what I could to them get there....and our alternate would be ecstatic.  It might be good to get the bosses at each unit in the loop or talking to each other.  We hired an enlisted kid from our base who already had a spot at another base (4 states away)...our SQ/CCs talked to each other and it was easy as that.  The other squadron released him with well wishes.

Unsolicited wisdom:  I'm nearing the end of my career in the Air Guard and here are a few things you should digest and never forget, especially if/when you get a family.  In the military, noone will ever take care of you, better than you will.  Also, when you leave, there will always be someone there to fill the spot and the machine will keep turning.  That's not saying you ALWAYS only do what is best for you or otherwise be a shitbag, just that sometimes you have to stick up for yourself and what you want.

Best of luck!

Based on your scree name, I assume you're former Army?  If so, that type of attitude may be a thing over there, but it shouldn't be on this side of things.  If that's the mentality within a unit, run (don't walk) away from them as soon as you can.  If that's how they treat people with something like this, it will only get worse down the road.  Why would you want someone in your unit that would rather be elsewhere?  

I am former Army. Its not a mentality thing as much as its a professional courtesy. On the Army Guard side of things, we used to have new LT's that would hurt us after deciding they wanted a different assignment once done with OCS. I get it, preferences and perspectives change, but when you commit to a unit and get them slotted into a specific position, only to have them renege really throws off the balance of the manning and workload for 60+ Soldiers. I am extremely happy to hear you say its not as big as a problem in the Air Force. When you have a Company of 60 Soldiers and a 2LT acting as the Commander because there is a deficiency of Officers in the state, every person that decides to change their mind has a big impact. Thats a whole 'nother rabbit hole though, again, glad to hear its not that way in the AF.

Its my opinion that when you commit to a UPT slot and work with that unit for the better part of a year and enlist, thats where you stay. Barring any major family issues that would require you to be near your home, I can't sympathize with any decision to leave. Saying "no thanks" to a unit after a few weeks of getting a better offer and not doing any in-processing, I can totally get that. This is a job of a lifetime. Do you want it or do you want it with stipulations? 

Edited by CavGuy

On 10/7/2020 at 9:58 PM, CavGuy said:

I am former Army. Its not a mentality thing as much as its a professional courtesy. On the Army Guard side of things, we used to have new LT's that would hurt us after deciding they wanted a different assignment once done with OCS. I get it, preferences and perspectives change, but when you commit to a unit and get them slotted into a specific position, only to have them renege really throws off the balance of the manning and workload for 60+ Soldiers. I am extremely happy to hear you say its not as big as a problem in the Air Force. When you have a Company of 60 Soldiers and a 2LT acting as the Commander because there is a deficiency of Officers in the state, every person that decides to change their mind has a big impact. Thats a whole 'nother rabbit hole though, again, glad to hear its not that way in the AF.

Being done with OCS and "in the middle of processing paperwork" are two very different things.  The professional courtesy comes in being upfront and honest with them about it and asking the questions, rather than simply saying you're taking your next option.  Also remember, you're joining a unit of 35-40 officers (probably 70+ in heavy units), so losing one here and there is NOT that big of a deal to us.  

On 10/7/2020 at 9:58 PM, CavGuy said:

Its my opinion that when you commit to a UPT slot and work with that unit for the better part of a year and enlist, thats where you stay. Barring any major family issues that would require you to be near your home, I can't sympathize with any decision to leave. Saying "no thanks" to a unit after a few weeks of getting a better offer and not doing any in-processing, I can totally get that. This is a job of a lifetime. Do you want it or do you want it with stipulations? 

That sounds great in theory but here's how that plays out.  You end up wanting to live close to family or your full time job, so you move there.  Now you're commuting, say 2 hours to your unit, on top of having another job and family.  Time goes on and it become more and more of a PITA, so you become more scarce.  Scheduling get pissed at you, your boss is mad at you because you're participation, your family resents your time away, you get pissed because they're all on your back....everyone is pissed.  Or you be upfront, take the one that is way more convenient...you live close, so you're a solid participate.  You pop in on off days because it's close and you easily work around your schedule.  Your boss is happy, scheduling is happy, your family is happy and you're happy...everyone is happy.  Believe me, I've seen them both play out multiple times over my 20 years in the ANG. 

Another thing to remember in the Air Force/Guard side of things...noone cares about date of rank! 🤣