Edwards AFB Info

Bode

All, I’m looking on info for Edwards AFB. I’m considering taking an assignment out that way but I’m looking for the pros and cons of a flying assignment there. My concerns

Housing - availability, best locations

Schools - elementary and middle school age

Spouse education - my wife is considering going back to school

Off duty - outdoors type activities, hunting, fishing, hiking, really anything not in front of a tv.

Thanks

-Bode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I was there, but off-base many people live in Tehachapi.  Lancaster and Antelope Valley is just a big crime infested shit hole.  Criminals and dirtbags who can't afford living in LA lives in Lancaster/Palmdale.  So you see a lot of crazy crime in the area.  But there is a small pocket of decent neighborhood in Lancaster west of the Antelope Valley Freeway.  Rosamond and Cal City are both right outside the base (~30 min drive I think) but are really small *towns*.  I'm guessing on-base schools are the best but there isn't much to do on-base for fun. There used to be a mobile home park on base when I was around but that sweet deal is no longer available.

Personally, stay away from Lancaster, it's a shithole.

For fun, plenty of outdoor activities especially in Tehachapi.  You can also drive to LA or Vegas for the weekend.

• Like 1

Our squadron has guys living everywhere from on base to Cal City, Palmdale, Santa Clarita, Tehachapi, & LA. It depends on what you and your spouse want for yourself and your kids. I lived in Lancaster in for 8 months and despised it as a single dude while other guys were content there for 3 years. I would personally avoid Cal City and Rosamond and either live on base or live closer to civilization but have a commute. 

Plenty of outdoor activities to do depending on your interests. Living on base you’re about 1.5 hours from LA and 3:15 from Vegas.

If you have any specific questions, shoot me a PM.

Edited by DFNJ
  • Like 1