Marine 130/35 swap paint

uhhello

Wow! Quite possibly single engine or just a pretty hard landing. No props on #3 or #4 and #1 is pretty mangled. Refueling pod ripped off the left side. Talk about an F’d up situation.

Hell of a good job safely putting her down in a field and bringing everyone back alive!

• Like 1

Buddy of mine was flying the Navy helo that picked up the F-35 pilot. The dude walked to the helo from his parachute and was freaking out because he thought there was no way the C-130 could've kept flying. Incredible work by the aircrew to get this thing on the ground.

*Edit* ATC audio as well. Around the 2:30 mark, the C-130 pilot sounds surprisingly calm for having just lost two of his four propellers. https://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php

20200930_084246.jpg

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, b52gator said:

I’d call that more than swapping paint lol...but damn nice job by that Herc crew and glad all are safe, that could have been real ugly.  I can’t even picture how the hell that might have happened.  

The refueling pod on the left wing is gone (and the hardpoint where it was mounted is pouring out fuel) but the engines and wing tank on the right side are more damaged. I would posit that the lack of propellers on the right side and lack of wing tank are related but I have no idea how the mishap sequence would occur to have that damage pattern. Guess we'll wait until the AIB come out.

The refueling pod on the left wing is gone (and the hardpoint where it was mounted is pouring out fuel) but the engines and wing tank on the right side are more damaged. I would posit that the lack of propellers on the right side and lack of wing tank are related but I have no idea how the mishap sequence would occur to have that damage pattern. Guess we'll wait until the AIB come out.

Since the fuel is still leaking and assuming this pic was taken shortly after the incident, I would imagine the tank on the left wing separated on impact with the ground or soon there after with a prop blade coming off the #1 engine. The right side was probably strictly F-35 damage. Just my opinion, of course.
  • Upvote 2

Since the fuel is still leaking and assuming this pic was taken shortly after the incident, I would imagine the tank on the left wing separated on impact with the ground or soon there after with a prop blade coming off the #1 engine. The right side was probably strictly F-35 damage. Just my opinion, of course.

SEF guy (not working this incident) and HC-130J guy here. I agree with this assessment. Left AR pod and #1 prop likey contacted the ground during the forced landing.
  • Like 3

Looking at the head on shot posted by Big Red, I wonder if one of the two objects in the background under the left wing is the left AR pod. What is left of the prop blades on number 1 are also at a flatish pitch (not feathered) making me think it was likely still putting out power and the left pod and number 1 were damaged during the forced landing.

Whatever happened, cheers to the crew getting it down with at least 2 engines out and keeping everyone safe. Any landing you can walk away from...

Looking at the head on shot posted by Big Red, I wonder if one of the two objects in the background under the left wing is the left AR pod. What is left of the prop blades on number 1 are also at a flatish pitch (not feathered) making me think it was likely still putting out power and the left pod and number 1 were damaged during the forced landing.
Whatever happened, cheers to the crew getting it down with at least 2 engines out and keeping everyone safe. Any landing you can walk away from...

To me it looks like it is the AR pod on the ground behind the plane.

Additionally, the fuel pouring out indicates that the AR manifold was still pressurized. So wither they didn’t have time to get the transfer pumps shut off, or they were dumping fuel.

5 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

Glad everyone lived, kudos to the Herk crew. As someone that refueled aircraft in the air, it's insane to me to think C-130s refuel fighters.

They've been doing it for many years, USMC, USN, and a lot of foreign operators.

I agree with the comments above about the damage on the left side being done on the landing. With the right external tank gone they had a serious imbalance going on, depending on how much fuel was in those tanks. 

They've been doing it for many years, USMC, USN, and a lot of foreign operators.
I agree with the comments above about the damage on the left side being done on the landing. With the right external tank gone they had a serious imbalance going on, depending on how much fuel was in those tanks. 

In the past few years the USAF HC-130J’s have been doing it as well. I refueled Harriers on the same track this incident occurred on when I was stationed at DM.

Looks like a farmer is going to get paid for total crop loss, the fuel clean up will be expensive.  Those soft furrows probably saved their lives.

• Upvote 1