Burned out on civilian job

Dangerzone

Would like to reiterate what many have said already. Don’t quit your current job as it puts food on the table and a roof over your heads. Get selected, make it thru all the training, etc. and still believe it’s your passion = fantastic. Do not pass the physical, UPT, etc and you may be in a much more vulnerable situation than ever before. Definitely take the gamble if it’s truly in you and don’t give up. Timing and having options reigns King. Nothing more Dangerous than a Man with Options. 

*Burned out at age 26 is kind of early to be burned out of most anything. Granted, it’s better to figure out your path earlier the better.

Edited by AirGuardianC141747
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

Would like to reiterate what many have said already. Don’t quit your current job as it puts food on the table and a roof over your heads. Get selected, make it thru all the training, etc. and still believe it’s your passion = fantastic. Do not pass the physical, UPT, etc and you may be in a much more vulnerable situation than ever before. Definitely take the gamble if it’s truly in you and don’t give up. Timing and having options reigns King. Nothing more Dangerous than a Man with Options. 

*Burned out at age 26 is kind of early to be burned out of most anything. Granted, it’s better to figure out your path earlier the better.

Seems to be the resounding answer, good point on better to have options vs not having any. My personality has always been more entrepreneurial or I’m going to make something of myself, so the whole burned out at 26 thing is more so I feel trapped in an environment I landed in right out of college and spent the last 4 years involved in, but I don’t know any other occupation except the one I’m currently in which meets one need ($$) but not the others (fulfillment, enjoyment, etc), so yes the grass is looking bright green doing anything else. I’m constantly reminded that the environment I find myself in does not fill up my tank, not that I can’t do the work, I definitely can but at the end of the day when I go home I just feel drained not in the physical sense of building a home but in the mental sense of I don’t care to do this work. I just don’t want to look back 10 years from now with regret because I was too scared to try something else. 

• Like 1

Have you considered looking at other internal positions? Move around the company to a different department or something. You've been there long enough to likely be past any new hire probation kind of situation. We have people move internal positions at my company all the time when they feel they're getting stagnant. 

• Like 2