LinkedIn for Networking

Jonatthomp

Question

Is it weird or a bad idea to reach out to current pilots in the Air Force Reserves or Air National Guard through LinkedIn to try to network? I’m a CFI with about 400 hours and just had lasik to hopefully be picked up by a unit after the 6 months recovery time is up. I know rushing is huge part of applying to different units, but I’m not sure if that’s really a thing right now. I’m studying really hard to take the AFOQT to get 90s across the board and 99s for pilot/nav. Where I think my application will lack is my LORs and not having any connections. I was searching LinkedIn and there are a lot of pilots on there who are currently with Guard or Reserves. I want to take the AFOQT and get my scores back before I reach out to anyone, but I am just curious peoples thoughts on whether LinkedIn is an acceptable form of networking right now given the circumstances. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

6 answers to this question

Can't speak to the LinkedIn part. Might do better to call squadrons and ask to rush or of any of the pilots are willing to answer your questions.

But I'd be applying as soon as you take the tests, mo need to wait for the 6 month recovery. The process is more than long enough to cover those 6 months. I went to my FC1 about 4 months after I was hired and and like 8 months after I submitted my application.

Also wouldn't worry about the LORs. Content is what's important. My LORs were my instructor pilot, a friend of mine that's an O-3 and a retired O-5. Definitely no big wigs, but they all knew me and two of them could speak to my flying ability. The boss that knows your work ethic can write much better LOR than a retired colonel or 1 star that's a friend of your uncle's co-worker.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

To echo what was said above, who the LOR is from really isnt important. None of mine were from military guys. But they were all people who knew me well and could speak on my character. Besides, you're not going to network enough online to get a LOR from someone that is meaningful if thats what you were going for. You want people who genuinely know you.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:35 PM, N730 said:

Can't speak to the LinkedIn part. Might do better to call squadrons and ask to rush or of any of the pilots are willing to answer your questions.

But I'd be applying as soon as you take the tests, mo need to wait for the 6 month recovery. The process is more than long enough to cover those 6 months. I went to my FC1 about 4 months after I was hired and and like 8 months after I submitted my application.

Also wouldn't worry about the LORs. Content is what's important. My LORs were my instructor pilot, a friend of mine that's an O-3 and a retired O-5. Definitely no big wigs, but they all knew me and two of them could speak to my flying ability. The boss that knows your work ethic can write much better LOR than a retired colonel or 1 star that's a friend of your uncle's co-worker.

The problem that I have is that I’ve worked for my dads company since I was 15. I only recently got a job as a flight instructor in July. So not sure I’ve been there long enough to ask for LORs.

7 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

To echo what was said above, who the LOR is from really isnt important. None of mine were from military guys. But they were all people who knew me well and could speak on my character. Besides, you're not going to network enough online to get a LOR from someone that is meaningful if thats what you were going for. You want people who genuinely know you.

I was mainly thinking of getting on LinkedIn to network to get a foot in the door with a unit near me. I’ve only got 5 or 6 places around me that I can apply to between Guard and Reserves and commute from where I live. The wife has a good job and we don’t want to move right now. 

I would contact the unit directly vs some pilot on Linkedin in my opinion. Start by getting ahold of their UPT hiring POC. They probably have one, or someone in the squadron can get you the right guy to talk to. However, with all the COVID stuff, its going to be hard to go hangout on base these days. 

I was mainly thinking of getting on LinkedIn to network to get a foot in the door with a unit near me. I’ve only got 5 or 6 places around me that I can apply to between Guard and Reserves and commute from where I live. The wife has a good job and we don’t want to move right now. 
Well you'll be moving for flight school and then seasoning, and I don't know if her job is protected under USERRA (I'd look at the law and check).

You don't have a choice about either of those things. You won't live where you are now for the two years of training. Then during seasoning, you have to be close enough to work every day. For heavies it's at least 2-3 months and for fighters seasoning orders are 2 years.