UPT Boards Going Away?

Completed the daily browse of Bogidope and if you look today, there is an eerily small list of UPT boards coming up. My question is: Because of the airline furloughs do you think UPT boards for the ANG/AFRES will not happen as frequently as pilots return to their squadrons looking for full time orders? 

I understand there will always be a need for younger Lts in the squadrons, but could we see that need be significantly reduced if the squadron manning as a whole increases?

Here's to hoping you're both correct. It just seems that with the postponements/cancelling of boards coinciding with airline furloughs we might be in for some slim pickings here soon. I'm  thinking there have to be quite a few airline pilots who are looking for full time orders in these squadrons and with the requirement for seasoning new UPT grads to be on full time orders they would rather give those orders to the guys who have been there awhile. Regardless, it doesn't affect the motivation to apply, just helpful to reset expectations of what might be available.

Completed the daily browse of Bogidope and if you look today, there is an eerily small list of UPT boards coming up. My question is: Because of the airline furloughs do you think UPT boards for the ANG/AFRES will not happen as frequently as pilots return to their squadrons looking for full time orders? 
I understand there will always be a need for younger Lts in the squadrons, but could we see that need be significantly reduced if the squadron manning as a whole increases?
No, units aren't that short sighted. There's normally a lull towards the end of the calendar year. It's possible some units have said it's not worth the trouble to hire during COVID, but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

Most units have 1, maybe 2 guys a year coming back to the unit from the training pipeline. When someone is hired, the guy won't be flying in the unit for what is almost always a minimum of 3 years.

Meanwhile, guys past their 10 year mark can call it quits with a MUCH shorter lead time. So do you really think they'd stop hiring people that they won't see for 3+ years because some guys are getting furloughed now?

And don't quote me on this, but I think the seasoning time comes out of a separate pot of money. I'm pretty sure guys on their seasoning orders aren't taking up AGR spots that could be going to more senior guys.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2