UPT Segregation

Pooter

7 hours ago, TreeA10 said:

Someone really, really wanted for him to get through the program.

We had a Kuwaiti student who washed back so many times, he went back through the same T-38 flight.  We had actual grade books back then, and he had Volume I and Volume II.  The embassy kept paying, so we kept flying him.  

He apparently ended up being some kind of Kuwaiti war hero for his efforts in the A-4 when the Iraqis invaded and ran the Kuwaiti Air Force out.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pooter said:

Women and minorities can do anything in the Air Force.. except avoid being pandered to by generals. 

Ain’t this the truth! I’ve seen more “check out my long-time friend who is ________ “ videos from so many GOs as of late it’s nauseating and comes off as completely for show

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

We had a Kuwaiti student who washed back so many times, he went back through the same T-38 flight.  We had actual grade books back then, and he had Volume I and Volume II.  The embassy kept paying, so we kept flying him.  

He apparently ended up being some kind of Kuwaiti war hero for his efforts in the A-4 when the Iraqis invaded and ran the Kuwaiti Air Force out.  

Thanks for a walk down bad memory lane. I had 3 Kuwaiti students. Every day was a WTF experience.  Lost one in the invasion.  Those guys came here with enormous cultural and language barriers and proved anything can be done if you throw enough money at the problem. 

On 8/31/2020 at 10:56 AM, Danger41 said:

They all looked at me like I was some alien from outer space but when I mentioned some fellow aircrew that were their particular ethnic identity, they lit up. Me, being generic white man had basically zero impact, but stories of people like them doing the job really resonated and motivated them.

We are literally de-evolving intellectually as a species.

The entire point of The Enlightenment was the idea that humans could use logic and reason to transcend what had previously been tribal barriers to knowledge and understanding of other humans. That the human experience was common to all humans, and that personal experience (e.g. "my truth") could be understood and empathized with by other humans.

People are now being taught from a young age -- not just through formal education, but through social cues and other informal learning, and in a wide variety of social and cultural groups -- that one's identity group is the most important characteristic of their existence, which is the diametric opposite concept.

This is a road that has a bad end for human civilization.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 17

On 8/31/2020 at 11:47 AM, Johntsunami said:

integrating more minorities to more accurately reflect national diversity rates.

What is insane is that so many people accept without question the theory that in a truly fair and equitable world, every career field would reflect the US population's statistical spread of (insert immutable human characteristic here).

There is lots and lots and lots of sociological data throughout history and spanning many societies that counters that theory.

It is very, very sad that supposedly smart people in the Air Force have bought into a worldview that yields tokenism over competence.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Odd, as no one seems to be demanding the NBA and NHL "accurately reflect national diversity rates!"

But thank God we have the USAF to save us from ourselves!

Well, you.  I punched out of this game a long time ago...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hacker said:

It is very, very sad that supposedly smart people in the Air Force have bought into a worldview that yields tokenism over competence.

I knew it would happen eventually but I didn't think it would be this soon.  And I hoped it would be at least a little more subtle.  

I dont know what the racial  make up of the women are in that class, but doesnt it imply if that the women are white that somehow they will do better with minority men than white men.  At my friends UPT class, they had a Saudi who couldnt pass.  He came from an earlier class and he couldnt catch on. Eventually he was behind in this class and was sent to another class.  Not sure what happened, but he was eventually kicked out and was sent back to Saudi Arabia.  My friend felt bad for him because he assumes the Saudi will eat crap when he gets back home

Edited by Jefsterman4u

5 hours ago, Jefsterman4u said:

Not sure what happened, but he was eventually kicked out and was sent back to Saudi Arabia.  My friend felt bad for him because he assumes the Saudi will eat crap when he gets back home

I’d feel badly for him too, since eating crap in SA is much worse than dying in a fireball of your own creation or doing same while taking some buds with you. 🙄

At least 3 tries at a set of wings is way more than most guys get. Somehow I think the free world will be okay without another target occupying the driver seat of an otherwise useful fighter. 

Edited by JeremiahWeed
  • Upvote 1

On 9/2/2020 at 3:33 AM, war007afa said:

Ain’t this the truth! I’ve seen more “check out my long-time friend who is ________ “ videos from so many GOs as of late it’s nauseating and comes off as completely for show

Check out the AFSOC Commander page for a couple dozen videos from Slyfe about diversity and some really awkward "real talks." AFSOC has gone full corporate. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BeefBears said:

Check out the AFSOC Commander page for a couple dozen videos from Slyfe about diversity and some really awkward "real talks." AFSOC has gone full corporate. 

I’m sure these guys truly believe in the cause and want to make a difference; it has nothing to do with toeing the line with the diversity & inclusion narrative of the brass at the top.  Not at all.  Curious to see how rapidly these talks dissipate when Trump’s memo makes its way down.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BeefBears said:

Yep, and the dude they're putting up as the poster child deployed maybe twice before going the leadership route.

I really dislike hearing people talk about that cube and hearing other people pretending that the cube is the smartest thing ever. It is all so fake.

Yep, and the dude they're putting up as the poster child deployed maybe twice before going the leadership route.
I really dislike hearing people talk about that cube and hearing other people pretending that the cube is the smartest thing ever. It is all so fake.

No reason to drag Myron thru the mud. He’s deployed way more than twice.

Do you have a better example to illustrate the problem than the cube? I think it’s pretty ballsy of a General to get in front of the world and put himself out there. Esp the story about the shaving waiver.
  • Upvote 1