Is Not Drinking A Big Deal for Fighter Units?

JohnClark

Question

I've been told by a few enlisted vets I know that they have never met a fighter pilot that wasn't a big drinker and all teetotalers end up in Heavies. If I apply to a guard unit and during the interview I tell them I don't drink would that be a deal breaker?

For the record I am not against drinking, Jeremiah Weed is my favorite Dos Gringos song, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer by George Thorogood is one of my all time favorite songs, I love Trailer Park Boys and It's Always Sunny. I'm not super religious I don't drink more due to family issues. A large portion of both sides of my family are alcoholics and live crappy lives. I know I have tendencies addictive and prefer not go down that road.

The only other info I found on the subject is one here an old thread on here from circa 2007 or so where a young LT. wrote a long email to everyone in his unit on why drinking is bad and no one should do it (I don't believe that) and an article from another website where a guy claimed to be a "Christian fighter pilot" and how fighter pilots that are "Christian" should avoid being around drinking and naming ceremonies because their is cursing and he refused to sing any squadron songs for that reason and instead sang happy birthday... Not surprisingly the comments weren't a fan of the article.

I'm ok with hanging out in the squadron bar, listening to Dos Gringos, smoking a cigar, playing some poker, crud, etc.

Would this still be a deal breaker?

6 answers to this question

Had several squadronmates in fighter squadrons who were Mormons.  Non-drinkers, non-smokers, non-cursers.

They killed commies just as well as the rest of us heathens, and were almost always just as fun bros as anyone else. 

And, as Evil mentions, they are usually happy to be DDs.

Drinking is optional, but hanging out in the bar on a Friday isn't.  You don't have to get plastered drunk, but you do have to be a good bro.  We had a few non-drinkers in the B-1 community, and everyone appreciates them being a good DD option.

Like everyone said, just dont make it a deal. In college, one of the guys in my fraternity was a recovering alcoholic (Odd environment for a alcoholic I agree). Dude was always the life of the party, sober as a bird. Just hangout.

• Upvote 1