USAF/USN AD Pilot Pros and Cons List

UmYahYah

Question

Haven't gotten an answer on this yet so I'm assuming I was asking too general a question. Just wondering if anyone could comment on my current pros/cons list and tell me if I'm way off base with these or if I'm on the right track. This is just the list I've come up with so far during my research into the two branches. Thanks!

USAF

-Pros

-Large number of well-maintained, fixed wing aircraft

-Nice base facilities

-Bases in interesting foreign countries

-Cons

-Could get stuck in a boring base location stateside

-Have heard that leadership seems to regard pilots as office workers instead of pilots.

-Training pipeline is severely clogged mostly due to COVID. Probably wouldn’t go to OTS until late spring 2021 at the earliest.

-Seems to be overly strict about trivial matters akin to a HOA president from hell who’s mad your grass is 2.25” instead of 2” and that you installed a scarlet backdoor instead of a crimson one.

-Have had issues with the recruiting process and know people who have also had issues. I know that problems with recruiting and bureaucracy are more of a feature than a bug in the military, but it’s still concerning especially when compared to my Navy experience so far.

USN

-Pros

-Lots of travel opportunities

-Great base locations in the U.S.

-Chance to fly off carriers

-Seem to be more opportunities to be a leader

-Seems to have the reputation of being less strict than the AF with operational procedures. If it works and isn’t overly dangerous or illegal, do it.

-Hard to describe, but seems more welcoming? Had a better and easier recruiting process than with the AF.

-Cons

-High chance of being stuck flying helos. I’m interested in fixed wing.

-Ship living could get old after a while

-Not as many types of aircraft to fly

Edited by UmYahYah
Question has not received any answer for 2 weeks

1 answer to this question

I looked at the Navy before being picked up at a guard unit and was told that I was too old at 28. I can't remember the age reqs but check there and make sure your good. 

Life traveling the world is what you want to do, aim for an AF heavies unit. KC-135, C-17, or KC-10/46. We get to go to some incredible places. 

Good luck and hope this helps!

• Thanks 1