Airline Flow-through while on Orders

Hey All,

I recently got hired by a heavy squadron and will he reporting to training in late 2021/early 2022 (estimated by unit).

I currently have a civilian job, and have about 1100 hours I got through being a part-time CFI.

Since I have to wait longer than I anticipated, I am probably  going to try to get a regional job at PSA, Peidmont, or Envoy (hopefully hiring picks back up in the spring if not sooner).

These airlines have a flow through program to American Airlines. Some (such as peidmont) flow through based only on time at the company and not FO or Captain time or other flying hour requirements.

My unit told me that I can be gone up to 3-5 years, maybe even longer depending on what’s available.

Does anyone know for sure if my seniority number is up while I’m gone in training, will I be able to flow through into American while I am away? I looked up USERRA stuff but I’m not sure how this would work because technically it is two different companies (kind of). But if I wasn’t in the military I would be at American.

Thanks!

Weren't the estimated flow times looking like 8-10 years before the current airline crisis? Realistically, if the airlines get back to hiring at a pace to make flows from a regional take less than a decade, a pilot with a year or two of regional time plus military heavy time shouldn't be waiting around for the flow.

6 minutes ago, Stoker said:

Weren't the estimated flow times looking like 8-10 years before the current airline crisis? Realistically, if the airlines get back to hiring at a pace to make flows from a regional take less than a decade, a pilot with a year or two of regional time plus military heavy time shouldn't be waiting around for the flow.

Yea I guess I was overly optimistic. Yea it seems like before the crisis, 6 was possible but most were around 8 to my surprise. I always thought that it was much less than that. The regionals didn’t mention it was that long in their recruiting info. But that is helpful it looks like the flow will be no factor now. But thank you for the reply!

CFI at a 141 school here... my friends that were about to start training are being told to expect Summer 2021, and that it's a dynamic situation, but not to expect hiring folks without an ATP and a type rating until late 2021/2022. I don't think that's a pessimistic scenario. The wholly owneds, to my understanding, got rocked. If you have a job offer you know more than I do, but the Envoy cadets I work with aren't expecting to go anywhere anytime soon, let alone through the flow.