Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ligma C-5

Got picked up, people jealous?

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, I finally got picked up by a fighter squadron in the guard during this whole corona BS! I've been incredibly excited, on cloud 9 for weeks. I couldn't wait to tell everyone the great news. This is where the weird shit has happened though. I know I am not even close to being a fighter pilot yet needing to pass medical tests, and get through UPT, etc. With that said, most of my friends act low key jealous when I tell them what I'm doing and accomplished so far. A lot of people have also scoffed at me, or straight up don't believe me when I say I've been selected to be a fighter pilot. I've also been told that it's stupid what I'm doing to give up my engineering pay to become a pilot. The list goes on and on too. Anyone else experienced this? Makes me want to stop telling people tbh. 

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Ligma C-5 said:

Hey everyone, I finally got picked up by a fighter squadron in the guard during this whole corona BS! I've been incredibly excited, on cloud 9 for weeks. I couldn't wait to tell everyone the great news. This is where the weird shit has happened though. I know I am not even close to being a fighter pilot yet needing to pass medical tests, and get through UPT, etc. With that said, most of my friends act low key jealous when I tell them what I'm doing and accomplished so far. A lot of people have also scoffed at me, or straight up don't believe me when I say I've been selected to be a fighter pilot. I've also been told that it's stupid what I'm doing to give up my engineering pay to become a pilot. The list goes on and on too. Anyone else experienced this? Makes me want to stop telling people tbh. 

Congratulations, getting picked up by any squadron is a big deal. My biggest advice is to embrace humility until you’ve made it. There’s still a long way to go, and a lot more opportunities ahead for training to knock you on your as*. 
 

To answer your question, when I was picked up a while back, my own father laughed in my face for me wanting to quit my civilian job to be a pilot. Our relationship deteriorated for a while, but come graduation day at UPT, he was the one beaming the most. People will come around. Keep chasing that dream.

Edited by Finch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be humble man. I recently got picked up as well and I'm very excited. But anything can happen with MEPS, FC1, OTS, UPT, and B-Course. Post the occasional UPT pic on Instagram or FB and keep it rolling. Let your buddies/co-workers guess and dream of what you've accomplished. If you don't mind, pm me where you got picked up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe people aren't jealous.  Maybe you're being a douchebag about it.  Keep your head down and do the work.  Silent warriors are the greatest warriors.  

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make a tik tok explaining your decision and how happy you are for yourself

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, uhhello said:

Make a tik tok explaining your decision and how happy you are for yourself

Or have your significant other do it...

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I am not being pompous, arrogant, or anything you have mentioned above. Hell I've followed the advice "don't be a douche" religiously through rushing, and interviewing. Don't think I would have been picked up otherwise. With that said, I never bring it up unprompted or boast about this. Kind of sad to just get berated and attacked on this forum when asking a simple question. 

  • Downvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ligma C-5 said:

Guess I didn't make myself clear enough. I am not being pompous, arrogant, or anything you have mentioned above. Hell I've followed the advice "don't be a douche" religiously through rushing, and interviewing. Don't think I would have been picked up otherwise. With that said, I never bring it up unprompted or boast about this. Kind of sad to just get berated and attacked on this forum when asking a simple question. 

You better find a way to thicken your skin up.  

  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say there's quite of few of your generation who have experienced the same sudden reduction in the lavish praise and adoration heaped upon them since childhood.

The problem obviously lies with everyone else, so make them understand you're entitled to a "congrats" or perhaps a small trophy. Don't worry, all your IPs will continuously remind you how awesome you are.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lloyd christmas said:

You better find a way to thicken your skin up.  

I guess?

 

31 minutes ago, goodflightcowboy said:

Even if you aren't being a douchebag about it, why do you care about other people's opinions on your slot?

It's not that I care it's just I wonder if other people felt the same way. I'm not ever advertising it, just when people ask what I do I tell them what I've been doing for the last few years and what I will be doing. Just surprised that many don't believe or change the subject quickly.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ligma C-5 said:

I guess?

 

It's not that I care it's just I wonder if other people felt the same way. I'm not ever advertising it, just when people ask what I do I tell them what I've been doing for the last few years and what I will be doing. Just surprised that many don't believe or change the subject quickly.

Honestly dude, when your title says “just got picked up, people jealous?” You cant expect it not to rub people the wrong way. We’re all stoked for you, but as said before, who cares if they’re jealous? Doesnt sound like people you’d wanna be around anyways... imo

Edited by Broskees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, hold up. Username is C-5 but you go for fighters? I smell an identity crisis

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you had any kind of balls you'd go up the first fighter tracked T-6 faip before your dollar ride and ask him if he was jelly.

Now THAT is a power move.

  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then proceed to get the thumbs down by your 38 squadron for IFF and have to find a new unit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

Or have your significant other do it...

image.png.53345ac6adf43793a09306aa96405408.png

  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always going to be like that.  I tried for years to stay in touch with old friends; got harder when I left for college; harder as I entered the USAF.  As a young Lt fighter pilot I ran into a bunch of guys I'd grown up with while visiting my folks.  Nothing in common, nothing to talk about.  

 

You'll have a whole new crop of friends that do the same stuff that you do.  Some will be better than you, some won't.  Comes with the territory.  

 

As others have alluded to; it's a tough line between being excited and not throwing it in people's face.  Be happy you are over the first hurtle.  Only about 12,000 more till you are a fighter pilot.  Dig in... it hasn't even started to get hard yet.  

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 7:38 AM, lloyd christmas said:

Maybe people aren't jealous.  Maybe you're being a douchebag about it.  Keep your head down and do the work.  Silent warriors are the greatest warriors.  

 

THIS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

STS

DAMNIT

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had people actually tell my wife I don't know what I'm talking about or doing and literally say "you can't become a fighter pilot in the guard, that's impossible". Who cares about these people's opinions. I think EvilEagle is spot on. We are going to lose connections and have nothing in common with people who act like this. In turn, we will join one of the greatest brotherhoods on the planet. Let them act like asses. We all know you're about to do the coolest job in the world. Who cares what they think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've had people actually tell my wife I don't know what I'm talking about or doing and literally say "you can't become a fighter pilot in the guard, that's impossible". Who cares about these people's opinions. I think EvilEagle is spot on. We are going to lose connections and have nothing in common with people who act like this. In turn, we will join one of the greatest brotherhoods on the planet. Let them act like asses. We all know you're about to do the coolest job in the world. Who cares what they think?
I've had similar things happen. One of my wife's friends was asked her other friend of it was legit and was saying it was fishy because she'd "known people who joined the military and left for training the next day".

Thankfully her friend, who was army national guard, told her she didn't know what the she was talking about if she thinks that's how it works and that yes it was legit.

People at my civilian job were also extremely skeptical, some even saying I didn't understand and that I'd been tricked by recruiters. Some people just don't know, and that's ok, like Desk said, who cares?

It's not super common, people are ignorant and think it sounds too good to be true. Let them be that way, focus on yourself and your pipeline. They'll eventually see they were wrong.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...