65th Anniversary: U-2 First Flight

Steve Davies

Many of you will know Huggy, so he needs no introduction here.

Here’s Part 1 of my interview with him, released to coincide with the 65th anniversary of the U-2’s first flight.

Edited by Steve Davies
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 6

Good stuff. I didn't expect to sit and listen to the whole interview when I saw it was over an hour long, but I did and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was starting UPT at Willie about the time Huggy was starting at Del Rio (I was 86-08 and since he started in June I'm assuming Huggy was 86-07). It was interesting to hear his story and to steal a famous line, I'm looking forward to "the rest of the story". Steve, thanks for doing the work to capture and record the stories you preserve and to you Huggy for sharing your experiences.

• Upvote 2

When the idea was discussed about doing this interview, I wasn't sure I would do it.  However, Hacker spoke very highly of Steve and assured me it would be great.  He was right.  Working with Steve was a pleasure and he's a class act.  I'll admit he got me talking about some stuff I hadn't thought about in a long time.  

We did the interviews some time ago, but I believe Steve plans to add on to the interview with some additional talks that we are doing now.  

bfargin, you were very close.  UPT Class 86-05, started 4 June 1985.  

Thank you for creating a well done final product, Steve.  (And especially for your editing work!!  You know what I mean!!  Haha!!)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/2/2020 at 7:22 AM, bfargin said:

Good stuff. I didn't expect to sit and listen to the whole interview when I saw it was over an hour long...

That's an interesting observation. I thought longer was better (STS), but perhaps I need to chop the interview up a bit more.

Glad you enjoyed it. 

11 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

We did the interviews some time ago, but I believe Steve plans to add on to the interview with some additional talks that we are doing now.  

Thank you for creating a well done final product, Steve.  (And especially for your editing work!!  You know what I mean!!  Haha!!)

Huggy, thank you for giving me your time and trust. Thanks also for being forgiving of my belated understanding of the difference between Z and BST!

Yes, Part 2 will be out in two weeks, and then there'll be the concluding AMA/Part 3.