23 Year Old Guard/Reserve Pilot Applicant

Hello everyone! After months of delay due to COVID, I was able to take the TBAS and complete my application packet. I am absolutely thrilled to be sending out my first application packet tomorrow but I would love some feedback on my scores, chances, and anything I can improve on that would help me land an interview.

I recently turned 23 and graduated with a 3.36 gpa in B.S. in Political Science from TCU! (Go Frogs). In school I founded and presided over TCU's first ever aviation club called the "Flying Frogs." I was also involved in Model UN and won numerous awards from conferences. On another note, while pursuing a healthier and happier lifestyle I was blessed with the opportunity to supervise and run all operations at the TCU Recreation Center. Lastly, but perhaps my favorite involvement while a student at TCU was with volunteer operations. One organization that I was involved with is "Frogs for Autism"  which aims to engage the campus and local community in awareness, advocacy and fundraising efforts to help individuals and families affected by autism spectrum disorders. Another organization I was involved with was "Bingo & Bagels" where every Friday morning, students met with homeless individuals to share breakfast and play bingo. Needless to say, I am humbled and blessed to have been apart of so many incredible organizations during my time as a Horned Frog.

This year I also finished my PPL and took both the AFOQT and TBAS tests.

I have 70 hours behind the controls of a C-172 as a private pilot and I am currently working on my instrument rating.

My AFOQT scores are as follows: Navigator: 99 Pilot: 98 Academic Aptitude: 93 Verbal: 87 Quantitative: 88

My PCSM score is a 91with current hours and a 99 with regard to the 201+ hour range.

Lastly, I have 3 letters of recommendations. One from a TCU professor and department chair who also ran the school's Model UN program. As well as two of my former bosses at the TCU Recreation Center.

I covet any feedback and advice on the application process. I would be humbled to fly any aircraft and serve my country as a pilot and officer. 

Thank you for your time

Go Frogs! 

Scores are solid for sure. Definitely so if you're looking at heavies.  If you just graduated, do you have a job lined up? It's obviously still early but the sooner you can add some professional experience to your resume the better. 

Shame the Flying Frogs wasn't around when I was undergrad, sounds cool.

22 minutes ago, NABO said:

Go Frogs! 

Scores are solid for sure. Definitely so if you're looking at heavies.  If you just graduated, do you have a job lined up? It's obviously still early but the sooner you can add some professional experience to your resume the better. 

Shame the Flying Frogs wasn't around when I was undergrad, sounds cool.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It's good to hear from a fellow Frog! I was blessed in this current climate to land a job with a large fitness brand and oversee staff and members similar to what I did with the TCU Recreation Center. Flying heavies would also be a dream come true.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 10:20 AM, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Your scores are good for both heavies and fighters, whatever path you decide. I don't think you should have a problem getting interviews. Now nailing the interview is a different question...

I appreciate the feedback, thank you. I've heard the interview is half the battle. At the same time, however, I couldn't think of a more exciting and humbling opportunity than to stand in front of a UPT Selection Board and relay how I believe I can best attribute to a particular unit as an officer and pilot. 

Would anyone be willing to give my cover letter a peak? I've had a few individuals on the civilian side proofread for grammatical errors and give me general advice. However, I would be grateful to have someone with experience in the application process who is willing to give some time to give me feedback on the current status of my cover letter. Thank you all in advance for your help. 

• 3 months later...

Just saw this post, glad to see some fellow Frogs are pursuing the same goal! Feel free to DM me your cover letter and I can take a look if you're still interested. I've gotten some fighter interviews so far so I may be able to help you out. The Air Force and TCU are small worlds, you never know who you'll meet, hope to see ya in future interview weekends!

15 minutes ago, Av8 said:

Just saw this post, glad to see some fellow Frogs are pursuing the same goal! Feel free to DM me your cover letter and I can take a look if you're still interested. I've gotten some fighter interviews so far so I may be able to help you out. The Air Force and TCU are small worlds, you never know who you'll meet, hope to see ya in future interview weekends!

Go Frogs! Just sent you a PM. Congratulations on the Fighter Interviews! Would love to meet a fellow Frog who is pursuing the same goals as well. When our paths do inevitably cross, first round is on me. 

• 1 year later...

Happy Friday, ya'll!

After two years of applying, rushing, and interviewing, I am blessed and humbled to say that I was selected for a UPT slot with my dream unit. Before being selected, I had one alternate selection (at a different unit) and a handful of interviews that didn't pan out. I owe a tremendous debt to these forums and for many of you who offered guidance and help along the way. I'm excited to chase my lifelong dream and finally say that all of the hard work and countless weekends of travel paid off. I would be thrilled to assist anyone who is currently chasing a UPT slot, and if I can't answer your questions, I'd be happy to connect you to someone who can. It's an honor and a privilege to be in this position and I am excited for the future. Cheers!

• Like 4

On 10/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, dothemerkle said:

Happy Friday, ya'll!

After two years of applying, rushing, and interviewing, I am blessed and humbled to say that I was selected for a UPT slot with my dream unit. Before being selected, I had one alternate selection (at a different unit) and a handful of interviews that didn't pan out. I owe a tremendous debt to these forums and for many of you who offered guidance and help along the way. I'm excited to chase my lifelong dream and finally say that all of the hard work and countless weekends of travel paid off. I would be thrilled to assist anyone who is currently chasing a UPT slot, and if I can't answer your questions, I'd be happy to connect you to someone who can. It's an honor and a privilege to be in this position and I am excited for the future. Cheers!

Heyo! I would love to learn more about your story. I pm'ed you.