Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Desk Jobs Suck

Difficulties with MEPS?

Has anyone else had extreme difficulty getting to MEPS (Denver)? I've been a dependent my whole life so all of my records are in AHLTA so there was no hiding from me. MEPS has cleared my childhood asthma but now they are digging into every little detail it seems. I'm already on my 4th Med Read submission and something new always pops up. Vitamin D deficiency, dry eye syndrome after PRK (wtf?). Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Or similar experience? My recruiters' have told me that this is the weirdest thing they have experienced with MEPS and never seen it before. On the bright side they said they aren't worried for me but this is still kind of frustrating and stressful for me. 

I went through Denver MEPS last month but it took a long time to get there. I had a knee arthroscopy 11 years ago and they wanted documentation from the hospital and physician (that no longer works there) that did not exist. Throughout the process they were vague about what they wanted. Two recruiters (one retired during the process) both said that Denver is known to be difficult and we were close to trying a different MEPS.

Eventually I decided to schedule a current x-ray evaluation with an orthopedic surgeon (which was still not good enough) and finally a remote appointment with the original physician at his new practice. With letters from both, that finally got me in the door. In hindsight the arthroscopy was automatically disqualifying so perhaps they wanted me to get all the documentation lined up to submit for a waiver (which has since been approved).

Sounds like since they have your every record (I only submitted big ticket items) so you are getting extra scrutiny. Keep working through it but consider also trying another MEPS (my recruiters said Sioux Falls, SD is good).

27 minutes ago, mtn_flyer said:

I went through Denver MEPS last month but it took a long time to get there. I had a knee arthroscopy 11 years ago and they wanted documentation from the hospital and physician (that no longer works there) that did not exist. Throughout the process they were vague about what they wanted. Two recruiters (one retired during the process) both said that Denver is known to be difficult and we were close to trying a different MEPS.

Eventually I decided to schedule a current x-ray evaluation with an orthopedic surgeon (which was still not good enough) and finally a remote appointment with the original physician at his new practice. With letters from both, that finally got me in the door. In hindsight the arthroscopy was automatically disqualifying so perhaps they wanted me to get all the documentation lined up to submit for a waiver (which has since been approved).

Sounds like since they have your every record (I only submitted big ticket items) so you are getting extra scrutiny. Keep working through it but consider also trying another MEPS (my recruiters said Sioux Falls, SD is good).

I just had to schedule an appointment with a PCP to establish care and get a report on my Vitamin D deficiency. Also had to schedule an appointment with my doctor verifying I don't take eye drops and my eyes aren't dry.... Yeah Denver MEPS sounds like a power trip. 

I also wasn't aware that you could submit to another MEPS to get stuff done. My recruiter told me that doing that is a red flag to the new MEPS and they will likely hassle you because you jump ship when things get difficult. Interesting. 

That may be true, definitely listen to the recruiter. Denver was pretty backlogged at the time and each submission was taking close to a month to hear back from, so I believe that was their reasoning in my case.

10 hours ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Has anyone else had extreme difficulty getting to MEPS (Denver)? I've been a dependent my whole life so all of my records are in AHLTA so there was no hiding from me. MEPS has cleared my childhood asthma but now they are digging into every little detail it seems. I'm already on my 4th Med Read submission and something new always pops up. Vitamin D deficiency, dry eye syndrome after PRK (wtf?). Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Or similar experience? My recruiters' have told me that this is the weirdest thing they have experienced with MEPS and never seen it before. On the bright side they said they aren't worried for me but this is still kind of frustrating and stressful for me. 

What happened with the dry eyes part with prk? Did you list that you had symptoms or did they find out based on the tests they performed?

8 hours ago, Yeeyee said:

What happened with the dry eyes part with prk? Did you list that you had symptoms or did they find out based on the tests they performed?

I haven't been to MEPS yet. They found them in my medical records listed. I'm surprised it's a PDQ especially because it's normal to have dry eyes for a little bit after surgery and use eye drops for a bit.