Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fat Tony

Applying For a Role You Are Not Qualified For

I saw someone mention in another forum that they were applying for a role that they didn't necessarily fit the requirements for and there wasn't much of a discussion there, so I wanted to ask here. 

Is it better to reach out to a unit and ask if they will make an exception and risk them telling you no, or should you just submit your application anyway and risk them just throwing your package away after seeing that you do not fit the requirements? 

I am 31.5 with only a few hours of flight time and a lot of the listings I see say "must be under 31" or "must have solo flight."  I reached out to a base and they acted like I was crazy for even asking if they would consider me. I feel like asking someone over the phone or email has a high probability of them saying no.  

My rationale is maybe they like my application and are willing to look past my age or flying inexperience once they have read my packet (not saying they will, but there is a chance), but if I asked before I applied I am probably getting turned down. Just wanted your opinions. 

Do you have your PPL? have you proven you aren’t a flight risk? Have you proven even though you haven’t met the qual, it’s the next direction you’re headed?

It isn’t just can they look past you missing a requirement, but how could they overlook someone else who has that requirement just to pick you. Most units I interact with want to see a PPL and AFOQT accomplished. The age is workable.

I would second what was said above but also add, stuff can be overlooked if the unit likes you. It is very difficult to like someone on paper alone. Have you done the groundwork and visited the unit in person? Do you have rapport with several of the members? 

If your unqualified application comes up in review and Capt So-and-so says, “this guy is a solid dude because xyz, regardless of not meeting the requirements,” his opinion should hold more weight than just what is represented on paper about you. 

For sure, it is an uphill battle but there are ways to mitigate you weaknesses by just getting to know the dudes that are making the hiring decisions. 

Second caveat, realize that you get a say as well. It is an interview to see if you are right for the unit, but also if the unit is right for you. If you go to visit and just don’t mesh with the location, or people, that’s an easy fix rather than finding out 5 years later that you don’t enjoy where you are working. 

2 hours ago, GlassEmpty said:

Do you have your PPL? have you proven you aren’t a flight risk? Have you proven even though you haven’t met the qual, it’s the next direction you’re headed?

It isn’t just can they look past you missing a requirement, but how could they overlook someone else who has that requirement just to pick you. Most units I interact with want to see a PPL and AFOQT accomplished. The age is workable.

No, I do not have a PPL. Its not possible right now financially. Maybe that will change in the near future. 

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't expect to get the job over someone more qualified/better suited. Just wanted to see if I should still apply even if I don't fit the requirement exactly. 

2 hours ago, mp5g said:

I would second what was said above but also add, stuff can be overlooked if the unit likes you. It is very difficult to like someone on paper alone. Have you done the groundwork and visited the unit in person? Do you have rapport with several of the members? 

If your unqualified application comes up in review and Capt So-and-so says, “this guy is a solid dude because xyz, regardless of not meeting the requirements,” his opinion should hold more weight than just what is represented on paper about you. 

For sure, it is an uphill battle but there are ways to mitigate you weaknesses by just getting to know the dudes that are making the hiring decisions. 

Second caveat, realize that you get a say as well. It is an interview to see if you are right for the unit, but also if the unit is right for you. If you go to visit and just don’t mesh with the location, or people, that’s an easy fix rather than finding out 5 years later that you don’t enjoy where you are working. 

Thank you for the information. I do have contacts at a couple of units, but other units I was looking at I do not know anyone.

So should I reach out to a unit first If I dont know anyone there and see if they would make an exception for my age or just apply? 

No, I do not have a PPL. Its not possible right now financially. Maybe that will change in the near future. 
Yes, I agree. I wouldn't expect to get the job over someone more qualified/better suited. Just wanted to see if I should still apply even if I don't fit the requirement exactly. 

24ba958408c04aeefe296545a5e5069c.jpg
You never know when the opportunity will be there without checking it out. Rushing the unit, like MP said above is huge. Feel it out, see if it fits. They’ll tell you what to do if you have a specific spot in mind. Most places like locals as well.

Financially speaking, I had debt, and paid for my PPL on credit cards. Not really advice, but I took a risk knowing I was investing in myself. You have to find a way to prove you’re different than everyone else. Separate your self and check the boxes. If you have to snag another job, borrow and adjust your schedule to chase the Dream, it might payoff in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, GlassEmpty said:

24ba958408c04aeefe296545a5e5069c.jpg
You never know when the opportunity will be there without checking it out. Rushing the unit, like MP said above is huge. Feel it out, see if it fits. They’ll tell you what to do if you have a specific spot in mind. Most places like locals as well.

Financially speaking, I had debt, and paid for my PPL on credit cards. Not really advice, but I took a risk knowing I was investing in myself. You have to find a way to prove you’re different than everyone else. Separate your self and check the boxes. If you have to snag another job, borrow and adjust your schedule to chase the Dream, it might payoff in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, I love the Michael Scott quote. Thanks for the advice. 

Yeah I was actually planning on getting a PPL. I took 4 hours and then there was a family emergency that i emptied all of my savings to help my family. I also had a wedding last year, bought a house, and now have a kid on the way. So not the best time financially for me lol. There are talks of potential layoffs for my company next year and my year end bonus was canceled so would be a bit worried about that much debt, but who knows maybe this corona thing will turn around lol. 

Thanks again, and agree 100% never know what can happen.

14 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Lol, I love the Michael Scott quote. Thanks for the advice. 

Sage advice.  Worked out well for him!

Space Force review - Space Force on Netflix

• Like 2