Another 30+ applicant.

Well I'm nearing graduation again and have been curious about flying for the USAF.  This time i'm graduating PA school this August with a Master's in Science. Wanna do this new gig part-time but now that im 35 and a half, I'd like to toss my hat in the ring maybe one last time for a buzzer beater.  The spark is still there, I feel and look young for my age. Not blind or deaf and no health problems. I can run like a cheetah (especially if I'm chased) and pretty sure I can make whatever fitness standards apply in my old age.  Anyway, I sent my packet to a few local ANG units because I read they raised the age for pilot training.  If it doesn't work out I may just buy a C150 till the airlines start to hire again, but would rather fly and serve.  Any change in the current CoV-2 environment? These are some of my stats:  AFOQT: P92 N63 AA74 V83 Q58,   PSCM: 93,  GPA: 3.7 Undegrad in Aviation Mgmt. 3.5 Master's in PA.  3 letters of rec- 1. Chief CFI at my past aviation university 2. professor who was former officer in the AF 3. professor who was ATC in Denver.  BS in Aviation and will have a M.S. here soon. Also, I'm already a pilot with  Multi, CFI, Instrument and Commercial back from my undergrad days. Also submitting prior EPRs from 4 years AD and 1 year ANG from 10 years ago. Is it a long shot to apply to units? I'm doing it because they raised the age so I figure they must need flyers. Thanks guys, I love hearing the success stories on this board.

• Upvote 1

Your stats look awesome and the fact that you're almost done with PA school speaks to your academic ability. You didn't mention air frame or geographical preferences but I'd start applying anywhere and everywhere you could see yourself wanting to live. I'm not sure how visiting/rushing units is going to be at the moment with the covids but that shouldn't deter you from applying and making them tell you no. If you haven't heard of em Bogidope, The Pilot Network (TPN facebook group) are worthwhile places to use for hiring/contact info and board announcements. People have had great things to say about Bogidope interview prep/application review package as well. You have nothing to lose I say make them tell you no. That's my plan and I'm older with a less impressive resume, ha!

Happy hunting

I'm over by STL s o KC-135s and C-130s are the main air frames around here. Will also apply to the C-5 unit as well. Not interested in fighers so not probably going to apply to those squadrons.  I will definitely check out those cites to see what I can learn.  I'm gonna apply till they block me at this point haha. Good luck to you too!

There certainly are a lot of us 33+ applicants around. Best of luck to you. Your scores are incredible and your flight hours will only help you.

Do you have any volunteer experience? The boards are really big on serving the community (no surprise there). If you don't, maybe you can get some experience? I know hospitals are always looking for volunteers. It's not glamorous at all, but it certainly helps. 

8 hours ago, Sam2580 said:

I'm over by STL s o KC-135s and C-130s are the main air frames around here. Will also apply to the C-5 unit as well. Not interested in fighers so not probably going to apply to those squadrons.  I will definitely check out those cites to see what I can learn.  I'm gonna apply till they block me at this point haha. Good luck to you too!

Thanks and congrats on PA school that's a hell of an accomplishment!!

There are a few 135/C17 units that have apps due coming up middle of next month as well.

Which C17 units I will be sure to check them out. I had applied a few years back before they moved the maximum age up. But of course that was in 2013 when all boards were down across the board. Got picked for AD CSO but knew I wanted to fly up front since I was already CFIing by then. As far as volunteering, I've been picking up at the local hospital since our clinicals got cancelled for PA school.  I work at the lab as a medical lab scientist running those covid samples and all kinds of other testing so maybe that can be seen as community service.  I just know that when I'm really old I'll regret not flying so I wanna get on it because I can put PA on ice for a while if need be.  Definitely best of luck to the rest of you guys applying, I feel like the need is there we just gotta shine for the boards enough that they overlook the age number. I'm sure alot of those guys are over 30 and don't think of themselves as old.  

Minus multi and being prior service, I'm in pretty much the same boat. I'm half way through 35, have a master's degree and CFI, and previously applied to units in 2012-2013 before they increased the age limit. Anyway, just wanted to say best of luck! Hopefully some of us mid-30s folks will get picked up somewhere! 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update of sorts, haven't heard from any of the units I applied to yet, but a ANG unit in Minnesota said they would run up a waiver for a CSO (nav) position.  Not exactly what I'm trying to apply for but at least lets us know there can be some traction gained out there.

On 7/2/2020 at 11:06 AM, Sam2580 said:

If you're in the St. Louis area, be sure to check out the 108th ARS out of Scott AFB just north of St. Louis. KC-135s with a board deadline of September 9th:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C8_7MOVeTXMCJUEANKTVkAH3RXlWQul6/view

Best of luck from a fellow old guy looking to get to UPT!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from one of the units I applied at.  Sounds like they might be interested in me but the unit is not processing age waivers at this time.  Said they will reach back out if that policy changes in the future.  Seems to me like that will most likely happen post the Covid crisis/airlines picking back up. I just hope that doesn't happen in 3-5 years like some have said.