am I cut out for a career as a fighter pilot ?

dannyishere

Question

Long story short. I didn't grow up wanting to be a pilot. I didn't go to air shows. As a matter of fact, I have never even seen a jet in real life. I thought the medical field was my calling for longer than I can remember, so all my time and resources went into that. I am now in the second semester of college studying chemical engineering and wish to be a military pilot more than anything. Do I stand a chance with the other aspiring aviators that have been dreaming about this before they could even walk ?

There is a whole lot more to the story but I thought it is not helpful to the opinions I am seeking. I have done all the research I could on the process of pilot selection in the past 2 years. Right now I am just looking to see what people think of my current position. Am I too late for such hopes ? Do I have time to redeem myself ? Is it too optimistic to hope for a pilot slot right out of college (ANG or OTS) ?

Cheers !

4 answers to this question

It's not too late to get into AFROTC.  Call the detachment at your school on Monday.  Put your best effort forward in everything you do with regard to applications, academic work, test preparation, and fitness.  Not all pilots decided to go that route early on, and not all pilots have natural skills.  Show what you are capable of, and leave the questions of worthiness to your instructors.

There are plenty of people in AFROTC who are in a similar position to yourself. I would definitely recommend taking a look at joining a local detachment. Nobody will think less of you coming in as a sophomore or wanting to be a pilot without even seeing a jet before. Good luck 

Some of the best pilots I flew with in the Air Force were guys who didn't really have the aviation bug at all, they mainly joined AFROTC/OTS to avoid the draft*.     Perhaps not having all their hopes and dreams tied up with being a pilot made them more trainable and balanced in a Zen sort of way.

In any case, nobody cares about what you did at your last assignment, your peers and chain of command just want to see you serious about growing where you are planted.

*Ok - I just dated myself.  

If your still in college, I'm going to go ahead and assume you're plenty young. Like others have said, join the AFROTC, or talk to a local recruiter and get signed up for the AFOQT, then the TBAS, then start applying for pilot slots in the Guard/Reserves, or apply to the OTS board. If you want to guarantee a specific air frame, Guard/Reserves is the way to go. Still have to land the interview/get the job, but you'll know exactly what plane and where you'll be flying it from day one. But overall, no there is no reason as to why you cant get picked up. People figure out things at different points in life. That dude who has wanted to be a fighter pilot all his life, might take his first PPL lesson and find out he actually doesn't enjoy flying like he thought he might. Shit happens. Kick ass in school, get good grades, work on your PPL, take the required tests, then figure out which part of the AF you want to fly for  (AD/ANG/Reserves) and go all in until you get it or dont. Never self eliminate. I've always enjoyed aviation, but never knew about flying in the guard until the middle of college when one of my best buddies got hired by a guard unit right after  college graduation. So I was a bit late to the military aspect myself. I got hired recently so it can happen. Fun fact, I am a PPL holder, and I've never even been to an airshow. None of that means jack. I'd never seen a military jet up close until I started rushing units.