Home / Garage Gym

billy pilgrim

Thanks to COVID I went ahead and put together a home gym.  Our ANG base gym is closed until fall...  Took forever to piece together with everything sold out and back-ordered online, but it's pretty sweet being able to lift at home.  FYSA Rep Fitness and Vulcan Strength have 5% military discounts, Rogue doesn't unfortunately.  Anyone else out there doing this?

31 minutes ago, billy pilgrim said:

Thanks to COVID I went ahead and put together a home gym.  Our ANG base gym is closed until fall...  Took forever to piece together with everything sold out and back-ordered online, but it's pretty sweet being able to lift at home.  FYSA Rep Fitness and Vulcan Strength have 5% military discounts, Rogue doesn't unfortunately.  Anyone else out there doing this?

Had one prior to all this so was lucky when my HHG showed up the week the gym closes here. I'll be honest though, even with a very complete home gym I find myself working out on base more often. I realised I usually lift for the community and it just doesn't have the same feeling being by yourself. 

Been looking at a Rogue Fitness home gym. They seem to demand a premium, but the only company that has the customer service and regular stock (until COVID hit.)

Hoping there will be tons of regret sales as things start opening up. Wife wants a Peloton as well.

31 minutes ago, xaarman said:

Been looking at a Rogue Fitness home gym. They seem to demand a premium, but the only company that has the customer service and regular stock (until COVID hit.)

Hoping there will be tons of regret sales as things start opening up. Wife wants a Peloton as well.

You can get more than your needs off Amazon. Unless you are routinely putting 4 plates on each side of the bar a gold's gym squat rack/bar will do just fine with an adjustable bench. 

Ive squated as high as 305 and the Golds rack/bar I'm using now is more than suitable structurally. 

I wouldn't fawn off on the gimmicky nature of some of these brands. Rogue is nice stuff but was designed for commercial CrossFit containers. A simple Olympic bar, squat rack and adjustable bench will get you 95% of everything you need. You can add a power tower later for dips and pullups. 

What kind of programming are you guys into? I started out on Strong Lifts 5X5 and stuck with it until about 1.5 years, then I started building my own. Strong Lifts was by far the single best workout program I ever tried in my life though. Highly reccommend it, especially for new lifters. 

1 hour ago, xaarman said:

Bike and membership is crazy expensive. I got a Bowflex C6 bike for $650 after their 30% military discount. I use the Peloton app for 1/4 the price of what they charge if you have their bike. Only thing you don't get is their leaderboard. C6 has Bluetooth built in so the bike will connect with a bunch of apps.

I got a set of powerblock dumbbells from 5-90lbs off craigslist when things first kicked off.  That along with an adjustable bench covers 90% of it as long as you aren't going for huge gains.  Highly recommend the dumbbells though, take up little room but gives you quite a range of weight.

• Like 1

I got some stuff when the gyms started closing. Squat Rack from amazon, $350. I found a gym equipment rep that runs a side business selling the used stuff he pulls out of gyms when he is installing new stuff. 4x45 2x35, 2x25, 2x10, 2X5 for plates, $100. they were rusty, I power washed them real good and sprayed them with metal spray paint. Held up good so far. Olympic Bar, EZ-Curl bar, adjustable bench, TRX bands. Real nice spin bike, used, but he charged me $300, retail was something like 2 grand new. Some foam mats from amazon to put under everything. I check Walmart every trip for dumbbells. Everywhere else has been sold out. I’ve been able to get 10s, 20s and 35s. Oh and a box fan, it’s hot in the garage. 

I love it, no waiting for equipment, crank up my speaker, I can get everything I need done. Lost about 15lbs so far. 

13 hours ago, Magnum said:

Bike and membership is crazy expensive. I got a Bowflex C6 bike for $650 after their 30% military discount. I use the Peloton app for 1/4 the price of what they charge if you have their bike. Only thing you don't get is their leaderboard. C6 has Bluetooth built in so the bike will connect with a bunch of apps.

Anyone got the Bowflex 1090 adjustable dumbbells? Is it a 30% discount on those as well?

I built a ridiculously nice home gym after quitting CrossFit a few years ago. The base gyms just never had the stuff I needed for my programming, and I hate sharing equipment.  It really started paying off when my wife joined me and my kids embraced a fitness culture.  

To answer the above question, I’ll give my 2 cents about rogue. Their stuff is nice and lasts forever. It also carries incredible resale value. I’ve upgraded my power rack twice, and both times I sold them for only $20-30 below my purchase price. When you account for retained value, rogue is much cheaper than the cheap stuff. 

• Upvote 1

I ended up getting a Rogue rack (RML-490) and it's super heavy duty.  Maybe a little overpriced but it was basically the only thing available at the time.  They do have a cult following and their website is almost always sold out on anything good.  I'd recommend it, in-fact if I had it to do over I'd spend an extra $100 and getting the one with numbers on the uprights (490C).  Had to lower the upper cross members a bit and the uprights had to go in between rafters in the basement but it worked out pretty well (didn't have to cut anything).  Also ended up with urethane bumper plates (vs rubber) as again that's the only thing I could find (they are nice, just spent more than I would have liked).  Spud Inc makes a pulley cable attachment that you can attach to the rack for a poor mans cable machine.  Rubber stall mats from tractor supply and a second hand mirror (probably should have gone bigger on the mirror, because gains...)

I only bought a few pairs of dumbbells (didn't know they were so $$$$) and all the locals are price gouging on marketplace here in the NE.

I would bet in a month or two there will probably be a lot of second hand stuff from closed gyms, or if gyms re-open people selling their quarantine home-gym stuff.  It was a pretty big upfront cost, but by being a little creative I can do just about everything I was doing in the base gym.  It takes a little longer moving stuff around on the rack as opposed to walking over to the different equipment, but then again it's never busy.

On the Pelaton stuff, I heard someone at work talking about buying a $2k road bike and a set of rollers and just get the app and subscription.  That way you can train indoors and outdoors and it's cheaper than their $2400 bike.  I don't really ride bikes without engines anymore though.

The rml490 is a great rack.  If you want to mark the holes on the uprights, those little peel and stick numbers from hobby lobby work really well without being permanent. I have the rml flat foot, and I’ve had those on it for a little over a year now.  There’s so much you can do with your setup. 

• Upvote 1

Never been a Peloton type since we all ride. I put a smart TV on my garage wall and linked it to some cycling apps and a trainer. It’s an actual bike you can actually go ride, and the TV is good for sports, if those ever come back. 

We've also been using resistance bands and kettle bells. 

image.thumb.jpeg.342b20d8c249afbfd595d33d39b00b15.jpegGlad I never sold my equipment even after 3 moves. Since The Rona hit, my House of Gainz has remained open for business. I do miss the SCIF gym at the squadron though...nothing like getting a quick workout in while I’m on shift. Supposedly that’s opening back up soon 🤷‍♂️

Carport + tarps + horse stall mats + rogue bar + Wright Equipment bumper plates + adjustable squat rack and bench from Amazon + various smaller pieces. I also have a C2 rower that I keep inside...one day I’ll build out the carport into a real garage so I can row out there too.

Only thing missing is a pull-up bar, but I’m finally installing one this week in the rafters after Rogue got the one I wanted back in stock.

BL: after about 9 years of slowly buying things, I can do almost every workout I’d care to do without leaving home. #winning

• Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 5:39 PM, xaarman said:

Wife wants a Peloton as well.

We ended up buying a used Peloton early in the lockdown for my wife. Though in the last few months I have been the primary user. It's a premium product at a premium price but I have had no issues with the bike. If you want to go cheaper do what @Magnum did and buy a cheaper bike and use the app with it. The Peloton app also has other workouts that your family might like. 

On 6/15/2020 at 2:16 PM, nsplayr said:

Carport + tarps + horse stall mats + rogue bar + Wright Equipment bumper plates + adjustable squat rack and bench from Amazon + various smaller pieces. I

Gotta ask...tarps? What’s the purpose? 

2 hours ago, okawner said:

Probably to shield his neighbors from all the muscle he's building since he's working out in his carport.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yea, that mostly. Don’t want to accidentally get any ladies pregnant who happen to be downwind from my lifting musk 💪🇺🇸

Also helps keep out the rain/dust/etc. somewhat. Inspired by a similar outdoor gym I used while deployed. 

• Haha 1