The WOKE Thread (Merged from WTF?)

tac airlifter

Looks like NV is trying to foster innovation in planned communities, namely, smart cities leveraging technology to improve life.

Google tried a similar experiment that ultimately was cancelled:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2020/05/13/9-things-we-lost-when-google-canceled-its-smart-cities-project-in-toronto/?sh=7aea8c3e35bf

It's an interesting concept, but there's a lot of room for things to go wrong. Probably the worst assumptions are that tech companies understand people and governance.

The concept in if itself isn't bad. But allowing the developer to also act as the local government is dangerous. It'd be like a bad HOA suddenly getting direct legal power to act as a government

I wonder if the board has realized yet they’re a bunch of racist POS. No?...I didn’t think so. Step 1 of minimizing racism: start at the lowest levels...if parents/residents of that area aren’t calling them out in droves, then we don’t make progress as a country.

I wonder if the board has realized yet they’re a bunch of racist POS. No?...I didn’t think so. Step 1 of minimizing racism: start at the lowest levels...if parents/residents of that area aren’t calling them out in droves, then we don’t make progress as a country.

The board is holding onto power, and doing the very thing they accuse white men of doing. How ironic. Then again, being a crappy person cuts across racial, gender, and social lines, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

I agree with you-so much of racial issues are local community issues, and that's where the change/progress needs to be made.
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

so much of racial issues are local community issues

If we learn one thing from the madness of the past 2 years, it's that local politics have a much more immediate impact on peoples lives. If you want to affect change, get involved.  Unless you're a gay father of mixed race children trying to get on the school board in San Francisco... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

If we learn one thing from the madness of the past 2 years, it's that local politics have a much more immediate impact on peoples lives. If you want to affect change, get involved.  Unless you're a gay father of mixed race children trying to get on the school board in San Francisco... 

No you can’t fix it by changing out immediate echelon electorate officials in local government...

See what you need to do is blame the President and blame Police Unions as the convenient scapegoat as to why you can’t change anything at the local level...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2021 at 4:00 AM, MyCS said:

So they're taking away Aunt Jemima. Supposed to label the syrup "Pearl Milling Company." Why are they taking my boy off the Cream of Wheat box?

What's next, no Juan Valdez coffee or chiquita bananas?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/business/aunt-jemima-renamed-pearl-milling-company.html

We're representing minorities by removing minorities.

Just like when Land O' Lakes repeated history by keeping the land and removing the Indian.

Edited by pawnman
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

We representing minorities by removing minorities.

Just like when Land O' Lakes repeated history by keeping the land and removing the Indian.

What about Duck Dynasty and Honey Boo Boo ridiculing rural whites?  

Jersey Shore ridiculing Italian-Americans?

Or stupid husband / smart wife ads? 

8 hours ago, MyCS said:

So they're taking away Aunt Jemima. Supposed to label the syrup "Pearl Milling Company." Why are they taking my boy off the Cream of Wheat box?

What's next, no Juan Valdez coffee or chiquita bananas?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/business/aunt-jemima-renamed-pearl-milling-company.html

Do you honestly care what your freaking maple syrup is named?

27 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Somebody does, otherwise they’d leave it alone.

Maybe someone just wanted to remove an outdated (possibly racist) stereotype image. Same is happening across the Air Force right now. Why on earth would I care what they call my maple syrup? 

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2021 at 6:30 PM, kaputt said:

https://www.politico.com/states/california/story/2021/02/11/weve-become-parodies-of-ourselves-california-democrats-bemoan-sf-school-board-1362846

City is pushing back...

Just as the majority on the right are “center right”, the majority on the other side are “center left” Hopefully both sides can make a little less room for their fringes. 

• Upvote 1

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/martin-gugino-buffalo-police-charges-dismissed_n_60269ba1c5b6d667582c4804

This is absurd and part of why aspects of the BLM protests were totally legitimate. I mean. It's on video for god's sake.

Police should not be allowed to inflict grievous bodily harm whenever they want to without being held accountable. Cases like these show that reform is absolutely warranted and needed. And what should people do when the system doesn't change and protects itself?

Edited by Negatory
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Negatory said:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/martin-gugino-buffalo-police-charges-dismissed_n_60269ba1c5b6d667582c4804

This is absurd and part of why aspects of the BLM protests were totally legitimate. I mean. It's on video for god's sake.

Police should not be allowed to inflict grievous bodily harm whenever they want to without being held accountable. Cases like these show that reform is absolutely warranted and needed. And what should people do when the system doesn't change and protects itself?

Elect people willing to make the changes. 

9 hours ago, Homestar said:

Maybe someone just wanted to remove an outdated (possibly racist) stereotype image. Same is happening across the Air Force right now. Why on earth would I care what they call my maple syrup? 

Just curious, have you ever purchased this syrup?

1 hour ago, HeloDude said:

Just curious, have you ever purchased this syrup?

I couldn’t tell you the brand of syrup in my cupboard. What, you going to spring some gotcha “you’re racist” bs?

If you care what some company out there calls it’s maple syrup I submit that you have too much to worry about. 

2 minutes ago, Homestar said:

I couldn’t tell you the brand of syrup in my cupboard. What, you going to spring some gotcha “you’re racist” bs?

If you care what some company out there calls it’s maple syrup I submit that you have too much to worry about. 

I asked you a simple yes or no question...and yet you couldn’t even answer without getting emotional. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3