Green bag being phased out?

MFlyer99

Saw a thread on this a while back but thought I’d get an update on the 2 piece flight suit. I’ve heard the 2 piece is mandatory for combat missions now, but what about otherwise? Will the green bag eventually be phased out, or will it remain a personal choice? Haven’t been able to find a very solid answer online other than the 2 piece now being authorized in-garrison and deployed. What about UPT?

Thanks! 

I've heard similar rumors. I've heard once the 2 piece finishes ejection seat testing and modification the bag is pretty much gone. 

Personally I say good riddance. Yes, I realise the look is iconic, but green bags are as uncomfortable as hell for me. They are hotter than balls in the summer, my sweat soaks through it and anything in the breast pockets gets soaked. The worst is when you get them brand new and they have that rigid feel and then when you sweat through them the coating reacts and creates the most god awful smell. 

I also hate the waist bands. If I keep them all the way out the suit looks like shit but tightening them is so awkward around the stomach, especially while sitting. I used to think it was just cause I got fat but I've since then, I've dropped all the weight and still hate them. 

That said, I would be all about keeping green bags around as a heritage uniform. Something worn on a Friday with morale patches at the bar. 

Love the look of the bag but not worth the Monday through Friday ass pain in my book. Would rather just be comfortable. 

Edited by FLEA

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

I've heard similar rumors. I've heard once the 2 piece finishes ejection seat testing and modification the bag is pretty much gone. 

Personally I say good riddance. Yes, I realise the look is iconic, but green bags are as uncomfortable as hell for me. They are hotter than balls in the summer, my sweat soaks through it and anything in the breast pockets gets soaked. The worst is when you get them brand new and they have that rigid feel and then when you sweat through them the coating reacts and creates the most god awful smell. 

I also hate the waist bands. If I keep them all the way out the suit looks like shit but tightening them is so awkward around the stomach, especially while sitting. I used to think it was just cause I got fat but I've since then, I've dropped all the weight and still hate them. 

That said, I would be all about keeping green bags around as a heritage uniform. Something worn on a Friday with morale patches at the bar. 

Love the look of the bag but not worth the Monday through Friday ass pain in my book. Would rather just be comfortable. 

Once they get 12-15 years old, paper thin, and the threads turn a bit purple ... they’re super comfortable. 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Breckey said:

From what I read/remember there were issues with the G-suit and the belt.

Yeah, the last thing I want is to fly an 8 hour sortie with the G-suit jamming the belt and all the weird buttons And extra fabric into me all awkwardly. So to speak. 

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

I didn't know you were a cyber guy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FLEA said:

You should join the Army and fly for those bros. They need a 2 piece hero over there. Nothing wrong with liking them, but Ive encounter more people that prefer the bag over the 2 piece outside of combat ops. I hate the two piece and love wearing the bag. I don’t see how wearing the bag vs the 2 piece is that much of a ass pain. All the sweaty / smelly issues I’ve also encountered with the 2 piece. Being comfortable is important and good for the bros that like it more than the bag. Unfortunately, I can see the bag being phased out not because of comfortability or because it makes sense. It will be phased out because some command sgt major out there is losing sleep over having a force of airman crews operating out of uniform uniformity. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CharlieHotel47 said:

You should join the Army and fly for those bros. They need a 2 piece hero over there. Nothing wrong with liking them, but Ive encounter more people that prefer the bag over the 2 piece outside of combat ops. I hate the two piece and love wearing the bag. I don’t see how wearing the bag vs the 2 piece is that much of a ass pain. All the sweaty / smelly issues I’ve also encountered with the 2 piece. Being comfortable is important and good for the bros that like it more than the bag. Unfortunately, I can see the bag being phased out not because of comfortability or because it makes sense. It will be phased out because some command sgt major out there is losing sleep over having a force of airman crews operating out of uniform uniformity. 

Haha. Yes I know I'm the minority on this one. I do think it's silly to try and motivate everyone to be uniformed. If we did go 2 piece I would like to see the same green color brought back sort of like what the Aussies have. Or maybe just redesign it a bit so it is the green bag but literally split into 2 pieces with better fabric.

Thought of 2 more things that annoy me about actually wearing the bag. 1.) No pant pockets. I get tired of storing everything in my pants leg or looking like I have a wallet shaped uniboob. 2.) When I fart the smell comes up the collar 😂

I've only made it to purple fibers with a few suits but usually before I get there the bags get weak at the seems and I see a lot of splitting, especially in the lower pant leg around the zipper, after around 3 years. 

Also if we do go just go with single piece for eternity can the manufacturer just remove the stupid pencil flap out of the design spec? Does anyone actually use this?!?!?!

When I was a flight mechanic I thought it was so cool to get them issued to me, wore them with pride until the jet broke at some God awful cold or hot place then I tore it off fast and threw on my mechanics coveralls. Those things stained easily and wouldn't breath so you froze or sweated to death. Plus after multiple washings the fire retardant qualities became mute. Loved the winter weight jacket and the speed laced flight boots.

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

Haha. Yes I know I'm the minority on this one. I do think it's silly to try and motivate everyone to be uniformed. If we did go 2 piece I would like to see the same green color brought back sort of like what the Aussies have. Or maybe just redesign it a bit so it is the green bag but literally split into 2 pieces with better fabric.

Thought of 2 more things that annoy me about actually wearing the bag. 1.) No pant pockets. I get tired of storing everything in my pants leg or looking like I have a wallet shaped uniboob. 2.) When I fart the smell comes up the collar 😂

I've only made it to purple fibers with a few suits but usually before I get there the bags get weak at the seems and I see a lot of splitting, especially in the lower pant leg around the zipper, after around 3 years. 

Also if we do go just go with single piece for eternity can the manufacturer just remove the stupid pencil flap out of the design spec? Does anyone actually use this?!?!?!

Just go find a McPeak era flight suit. All the pant pockets you can find for that pocket pool. 

15 hours ago, FLEA said:

They are hotter than balls in the summer, my sweat soaks through it and anything in the breast pockets gets soaked.

Breast reduction surgery maybe?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Majestik Møøse said:

@FLEA if you hate the flight suit so much, just wear the 2-piece. The rest of us don’t have the same problems you’re experiencing.

Haha, I would but the assignment I'm at right now forbids it. 

Flew with the two piece for 10 years with the Army. They absolutely suck ! The one piece is like a pair of pajamas, compared to the two piece. Besides all y’all complaining about it’s hot .... try flying with no AC with plates and full gear . The one piece is amazing .

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Nah dude the real issue was having to blouse the pants out of the aircraft but un-blouse while flying. Dumbest rule ever in the history of army aviation. Plenty of army bros would give their left nut to wear a bag and feel like a real pilot for a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

Haha, I would but the assignment I'm at right now forbids it. 

The 36-2903 says that the 2 piece is the aviators direct replacement for the ground-pounder OCP. If you're co-workers are wearing the OCP, you can wear the 2-piece.

41 minutes ago, Breckey said:

The 36-2903 says that the 2 piece is the aviators direct replacement for the ground-pounder OCP. If you're co-workers are wearing the OCP, you can wear the 2-piece.

Not disagreeing with you but I just planted in a community that doesn't fall entirely under the USAF and they have their own guidance. I like to keep my anonymity so I won't say where but that specific aspect has been a mild dissapointment. Rest of the assignment is awesome. 

2 hours ago, Breckey said:

We in the USAF don't let piddly things such as regs get in the way of our local policies!

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/3/2020 at 1:22 PM, FLEA said:

A.  When you get a new one-sie (yep, just like a baby), store it until wintery times.  It's newness will keep you cozier when its cold outside.  Wash it enough to go thinned-threaded by the time it gets warm out. 

B. Any pen/pencil flap is removable with a sharp Infidel.  Also, all that extra pocket velco in the 2-piecers is removable in the same manner.

Sheesh, it's like teaching problem-solving 101 here.

Out

Test recommended non-fielding 2 piece in ejection seat aircraft...so, there’s a hurdle any anti-bag decision makers would have to ignore. Not saying it can’t happen, but it makes it harder. Honestly the 2 piece was preferred for anything out on the ground while deployed, but otherwise not a chance it’s better than the bag for every other situation. 

6 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

A.  When you get a new one-sie (yep, just like a baby), store it until wintery times.  It's newness will keep you cozier when its cold outside.  Wash it enough to go thinned-threaded by the time it gets warm out. 

B. Any pen/pencil flap is removable with a sharp Infidel.  Also, all that extra pocket velco in the 2-piecers is removable in the same manner.

Sheesh, it's like teaching problem-solving 101 here.

Out

Sheesh man, I hear ya, just saying we've been cutting those pencil tabs off for 40 years, why are we still manufacturing them on there?