Green bag being phased out?

MFlyer99

I thought there was a phase out date in the uniform reg but the last time I looked it was only the ABU phase out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

The phase out date is for the ABUs but there are caveats for the coyote t-shirt and boots with the green bags.

I hope the green bags stay forever, I cannot stand the two-piece and have worn it only once...when I was trying them on the check the sizing out.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 6/4/2020 at 6:59 AM, Breckey said:

The 36-2903 says that the 2 piece is the aviators direct replacement for the ground-pounder OCP. If you're co-workers are wearing the OCP, you can wear the 2-piece.

So... Can I get them issued?  Every uniform is more comfortable when it's free.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for all your responses. Maybe they're trying to make it a "natural" phase out, hoping folks will choose to go to the 2 piece over the bag, hence when/if they require the two piece, it'll be an easier/smoother transition with less backlash. Who knows. But hopefully that won't happen. 

12 hours ago, MFlyer99 said:

Thanks for all your responses. Maybe they're trying to make it a "natural" phase out, hoping folks will choose to go to the 2 piece over the bag, hence when/if they require the two piece, it'll be an easier/smoother transition with less backlash. Who knows. But hopefully that won't happen. 

Re: your original post, no, they are certainly not mandatory downrange. Any ejection seat equipped platform is still wearing the desert bag. 

our RA sent out an email saying that desert bags weren't authorized downrange and therefore wouldn't be issued, quietly rescinded it maybe an hour but the damage was done, now that paranoia won't abate lol

1 hour ago, 12xu2a3x3 said:

our RA sent out an email saying that desert bags weren't authorized downrange and therefore wouldn't be issued, quietly rescinded it maybe an hour but the damage was done, now that paranoia won't abate lol

It's been a long time since I wore a desert bag but am I mistaken in remembering the material is lighter than the green bag? Why do t we just make the green bags from that?

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

It's been a long time since I wore a desert bag but am I mistaken in remembering the material is lighter than the green bag? Why do t we just make the green bags from that?

I’ve got both side by side in my closet and the only difference to me seems to be the hue. Same material/makeup. 

However there was an AF wide materials test for new bags about a year ago. Unknown outcome. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

Because it’s tan. 

......I’ll show myself out now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone have any experience with the ejection seat approved OCP? I saw one recently and it looks way better than the current A2CU/2PFDU/WTFISITCALLED.

I really hate the current version with my collar velcro getting stuck on my massive shoulder velcro, it fitting like a bag of ass, etc. I'm projected to move into a new job with some pull on the purse strings so hoping (if warranted) to try and get all the aircrew the new version rather than the current turd.

37 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

Anyone have any experience with the ejection seat approved OCP? I saw one recently and it looks way better than the current A2CU/2PFDU/WTFISITCALLED.

I really hate the current version with my collar velcro getting stuck on my massive shoulder velcro, it fitting like a bag of ass, etc. I'm projected to move into a new job with some pull on the purse strings so hoping (if warranted) to try and get all the aircrew the new version rather than the current turd.

I think the ejection seat tested version was the same as 2PFDU... negative feedback from at least 1 ejection seat test platform (didn't play well with vest, harness, etc).

2 hours ago, StoleIt said:

Might be the MASSIFs? Same company that makes the new awesome flight jackets. Not a ejection seat guy but we been buying them in my corner of the AF. They are about twice as much but they fit much better, don’t have random velcro everywhere, ass is much less likely to rip, and the pocket functionality is much better. 

32 minutes ago, viper154 said:

Might be the MASSIFs? Same company that makes the new awesome flight jackets. Not a ejection seat guy but we been buying them in my corner of the AF. They are about twice as much but they fit much better, don’t have random velcro everywhere, ass is much less likely to rip, and the pocket functionality is much better. 

Anybody's units paying for their MASSIF? Or still out of pocket?

2 hours ago, magnetfreezer said:

I think the ejection seat tested version was the same as 2PFDU... negative feedback from at least 1 ejection seat test platform (didn't play well with vest, harness, etc).

Sorry, should have clarified, we are heavies. So looking to see if they are superior to the 2PFDU not the bag.

I’ll dissent on the Massifs, they are different, not better. The fabric is good, the sizing And fit is atrocious, I’ll go back to the bag happily. They nailed it on the jackets, but the flight suits are no improvement.

I'll dissent as well. The fabric fades very quickly. There are more sizing options than the A2CU but the fit is still poor. The belt loops on the pants are also too narrow for me to thread a cobra buckle through without unfastening it.

10 hours ago, Breckey said:

I'll dissent as well. The fabric fades very quickly. There are more sizing options than the A2CU but the fit is still poor. The belt loops on the pants are also too narrow for me to thread a cobra buckle through without unfastening it.

I had that problem on the A2CU with my belt as well. Concur that they fade fast. Also my knee board velcro tears up the pants. As a taller otherwise average guy I find the fit much better. The real selling point for a 2 piece for me is the removable top. I take mine off in the plane, makes life much more comfortable. If we are on fire to a point I need sleeves to protect my skin I’m dead anyway.