If I Apply to the Active Duty Board and Am Not Selected For a Pilot Slot. Do I have to Take That Job?

My recruiter told me that if I go to the AD OTS board and if I am not selected for a pilot slot. I have to take whatever job I am given or I can never join the military again in any fashion. I would prefer a Guard/Reverse slot but I'm trying for a pilot slot anyway I can. My recruiter said the last several boards have had way more applicants and even people with PPLs aren't getting pilot slots. Some got other rated positions CSO and ABM and others got non-rated positions all together.

Is this true or is this just recruiter BS?

On 5/28/2020 at 4:45 PM, JohnClark said:

My recruiter told me that if I go to the AD OTS board and if I am not selected for a pilot slot. I have to take whatever job I am given or I can never join the military again in any fashion. I would prefer a Guard/Reverse slot but I'm trying for a pilot slot anyway I can. My recruiter said the last several boards have had way more applicants and even people with PPLs aren't getting pilot slots. Some got other rated positions CSO and ABM and others got non-rated positions all together.

Is this true or is this just recruiter BS?

The recruiter is feeding you complete and utter bullshit.  From someone who went through the AD process just do yourself a favor and find a different recruiter.  You need to go before a rated board (i.e. flying job officer selection) and put pilot only.  If they ask you to put ANY job other than pilot walk away and find a different recruiter.  You don't have to work with someone who is in the same geographic location either FYI.  Good luck.  

26 minutes ago, tarheelaviator said:

From someone who went through the AD process just do yourself a favor and find a different recruiter.  You need to go before a rated board (i.e. flying job officer selection) and put pilot only.  If they ask you to put ANY job other than pilot walk away and find a different recruiter.  You don't have to work with someone who is in the same geographic location either FYI.  Good luck.  

So you claim you went through the AD process how did that work out for you? Did you put pilot only? How do you suggest OP strong arm AD recruiters as a civilian? Do you believe that recruiters are hurting for manned pilot recruits, especially given the economic environment? Should recruiters work with applicants who are unwilling to work with them? What should op tell recruiters from different regions when they ask why hes trying to apply from a different region? What will he do if they have a similar unwritten regulation?  I'm just curious what your answers to these questions might be.

Obviously recruiters goals are to commission people, and we are short officers across the board. There never was a student pilot shortage, and even if OP listed more than just pilot if he was in the most qualified pool of candidates he would be considered for his top pick of manned pilot regardless of whatever else he put on the list. Listing pilot only dosent give you bonus points, or make it any more likely that you get that slot. This section of the forum seem to have a habit of conflating the exception-to-the-rule, with the actual rules.