Is it Possible to Guarantee ENJJPT With OTS?

I'm leaning towards trying the Guard to get a fighter unit but I was told by an active duty recruiter I have a great shot at getting a pilot slot for OTS. A few years ago, I remember talking to an airline pilot who said he knew a guy that was able to get guarantee a T-38 slot through OTS/Active Duty. I'm assuming this means he got ENJJPT. Is it possible to do this?

I really want a fighter slot. If I don't get a guard one, Active Duty is my backup option. But I would consider this.

I believe you still need to apply for ENJJPT even when you go through OCS. So its by no means guaranteed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also keep in mind, that while your chances are much better, ENJJPT doesn't necessarily guarantee a fighter. The only way to guarantee a fighter slot is to get hired by a guard unit. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, ryleypav said:

I believe you still need to apply for ENJJPT even when you go through OCS. So its by no means guaranteed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also keep in mind, that while your chances are much better, ENJJPT doesn't necessarily guarantee a fighter. The only way to guarantee a fighter slot is to get hired by a guard unit. 

This, additionally I have heard from a friend that is there now, that if a guard fighter unit hires you, you can opt to go to ENJJPT if your PCSM is over 90. Anyone have confirmation on this?

Just now, TotableMink said:

This, additionally I have heard from a friend that is there now, that if a guard fighter unit hires you, you can opt to go to ENJJPT if your PCSM is over 90. Anyone have confirmation on this?

My buddy is a guard fighter pilot who went to ENJPPT. I dont know if he opted in or if he applied though. 

23 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

That's what I thought.

46 minutes ago, TotableMink said:

As of last year this was still true

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TotableMink said:

At what point in the process does that choice get made? I asked my recruiter about it but he hadn't heard about it before.

Not sure how active is handled other than I did see at OTS the active pilots interviewed for a slot at ENNJPT. I'm guard fighters and Kathy Rico handles all of the dates/locations. Everyone I know who was fighters guard/reserve and had a 90+ pcsm went to ENJJPT. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagle community has had way more washouts from ENNJPT grads than traditional SUPT grads.  I always tell our guys to take the first slot they get offered but if they have a choice, go somewhere other than ENNJPT.  

Careful what you wish for fellas.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EvilEagle said:

The Eagle community has had way more washouts from ENNJPT grads than traditional SUPT grads.  I always tell our guys to take the first slot they get offered but if they have a choice, go somewhere other than ENNJPT.  

Careful what you wish for fellas.  

Is the reason they are washing out consistent? Meaning is there something in particular that ENNJPT isnt doing well?

On 6/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, TotableMink said:

Is the reason they are washing out consistent? Meaning is there something in particular that ENNJPT isnt doing well?

Not exactly consistent in what they are the most lacking in - it seems to be that the bar is generally lower there.  (or seems to be)  Not everyone that graduates there does poorly of course; it's just that many that should've washed out in UPT didn't.  

My assumption is ENJJPT produces less “shouldn’t have been assigned a fighter” types since they started having crew aircraft as an option. Back in the day if you could graduate, you had a very high chance of fighters, so guys got fighters who probably would never have even gone 38s at a SUPT base. Lots of great pilots have come from ENJJPT, but it’s undeniable there at least use to be a leak where the weak swimmers snuck through.

FWIW I also know several great dudes who should have got fighters out of ENJJPT, but didn’t due to some low-fighter-count drops that started occurring back in ‘10 or so. Luck and timing matter, even at ENJJPT.