Where to access public crash report for HH-1N (70-2461) 25 Oct 1991?

scooterkool

Sorry to hear that. Being a military mishap, you’d be looking for the AIB (Accident Investigation Board) report, that would be the public findings. The JAG website normally posts those, but 1991 is a ways back. You could always put in a FOIA request to get it, but I just don’t think the publicly posted stuff goes that far back.

Sorry if I’m not saying anything new...I’m sure you’ve tried before and a bunch of different things.

~Bendy

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

FOIA requests work well for the old stuff. I got my uncle's F-4 Vietnam shoot-down report that way several years back. Had all the family stories (more than one F-4 pilot in our family at the time), but it was interesting to see the actual report.

On a semi-related note, got the flag and an empty glass out for some family remembrance on this Memorial Day :flag_waving:

1792762826_F-4MM.jpg.02601d5402ac0ac059979ce79cccc5e2.jpg

Edited by skibum
  • Like 8

On 5/24/2020 at 3:20 PM, scooterkool said:

I am looking to see if there is a public crash report /summary findings for the 25 Oct 1991 crash of an HH-1N (70-2461) 

My friend Eric Sherman was the pilot.

Thanks

Coworker of mine was in that unit, but just a little after this accident occurred. According to him, and as he seems to remember, it was a suspected hydraulic malfunction of some kind leading to a cyclic hard over at low level that there was insufficient altitude to recover from.

Edited by MD

Gentlemen, thank you for taking time to reply with suggestions on how to access the report.

MD, I wanted to express my deepest gratitude for your response in particular. Who could have thought that 29 years after the accident, a forum post would answer my question. MD, sir you are a truly an amazing person. 

I was in the same fraternity & ROTC with Eric.

1A5BC210-C7FD-47DF-8BDE-84166E3566DC.jpeg

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, scooterkool said:

Gentlemen, thank you for taking time to reply with suggestions on how to access the report.

MD, I wanted to express my deepest gratitude for your response in particular. Who could have thought that 29 years after the accident, a forum post would answer my question. MD, sir you are a truly an amazing person. 

I was in the same fraternity & ROTC with Eric.

1A5BC210-C7FD-47DF-8BDE-84166E3566DC.jpeg

Happy to help, and condolences for your loss.

That unit a year or so after this accident, was renumbered to the 79th Rescue Flight, the last HH-1H unit in the USAF. Being that Grand Forks was retiring their missile Wing a few years after that, the decision was made to retain the H-model Hueys and not transition to the N-models. When the missile Wing shut down and the ICBMs were removed from GF, the 79th shut down and the last HH-1H-models were retired.