Prior (non rated) Officer and TDART

Is there anyone who is prior service (not rated) and signed up for the TDART program? Were you able to get a waiver to start at something higher than a GS-9, or possibly a GS-9 but a higher step? Im a prior non rated Capt coming from AD and a few months from UPT graduation and also pinning on Maj. The idea of going from full time Maj pay to GS-9 is not ideal. Ill need 300 MWS hrs before going to GS-11 and then 750 before going to 12. 

The A3RB submitted an amendment back in 2017 to count UPT hours towards the 300 hour min for GS-11. So hopefully, the amendment gets approved so that TDART folks can start at GS-11. I’m in the same boat except I was a non-rated O-3 in a sister service. Your reserve LNO should have more info regarding this topic.

Congrats on completing UPT.

I've been asking this same question with nothing difinitive yet. My unit's chief pilot recommended I talk to our DO about the possibility of a step increase. I was told ART jobs disregard rank when determining GS grade - they follow hour/qual (e.g. IP) requirements.

The TDART brochure I got this year says hours count starting in FTU, though they also have a note saying:

The standing job announcement states "flying hours logged as student pilot are creditable."

On 5/24/2020 at 10:04 AM, Stoker said:

I'm basically being told not to apply for TDART until I have the 300 hours. They count sim and Other time, so for me I only need about another 100 during the five months of MQT. 

Are you just planning on being a TR during that time until you get the additional 100 hrs. 

On 5/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, Fly For a 62E said:

I've been asking this same question with nothing difinitive yet. My unit's chief pilot recommended I talk to our DO about the possibility of a step increase. I was told ART jobs disregard rank when determining GS grade - they follow hour/qual (e.g. IP) requirements.

The TDART brochure I got this year says hours count starting in FTU, though they also have a note saying:

The standing job announcement states "flying hours logged as student pilot are creditable."

I did see that note in the job announcement but from the dudes in my unit that took the TDART job said they only counted the MWS time from the FTU. 

I have five months of seasoning and then a deployment in short order thereafter. So hopefully I'll be able to get the remaining 100 hours in that time. Depending how how much Corona slows things down, and how long the Federal civilian employment process takes, I may have a couple months of TR-ing in there, but at this point I'd be fine with that. I'm looking forward to taking my first vacation on a date of at least partially my own choosing, in three years.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m transferring from active duty to the ANG this fall. Game plan is to be a bum for a while. If I were offered an ART position would they take Into account my hours and K code from a different platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m transferring from active duty to the ANG this fall. Game plan is to be a bum for a while. If I were offered an ART position would they take Into account my hours and K code from a different platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every unit is different. The 2 that I have been in will make you be a CP for a little bit before an expedited upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Im in this same boat. Ive applied and have a start date next month for a GS-9 with upgrade to GS-11 90 days later.  Im getting inconsistent information about the hours requirements for the 11.  Some believe its only MWS and others say its all MIL time.  If its all MIL then with UPT and Altus sims/flights and MCT nearly complete, I'm close to 400 TT.  If all this time is creditable, how difficult/ how long does it take to get the personnel office to put in the upgrade?

Secondly, One of the squadrons recent hires started at GS-11 (Prior GS-11 Rated employee) and was expecting to get the locality (MacDill) and the pilot retention bonus.  Upon starting, he was told that there was a year wait to receive the retention bonus.  Any gouge on this?

All in all, where are these rules written?  Anyone have links to AFI's, DODI, Handbooks etc that I can use to improve the clarity of this situation?

Thank you!

In the ANG, the absolute floor should be GS-12, and with any level of quals/experience, it should be a few steps.  In the last few years we've been handing out GS-13s to guys who aren't even IPs yet (some with a step or 2), because they were in IPUG.  That said, I'm not sure how every other base is doing it, but we've been told we have to convert all our Techs to AGR.  You can't force a tech to convert so they'll remain techs until they vacate the position or willingly convert.  We only have 3 techs and only 1 wants to stay because of the tech bonus, once that goes away, I suspect he'll convert then.