Eglin F-35 crash

9 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Should definitely look at putting a stop to night landings on training sorties.  Too much risk.  

Is there something about the F-35 that makes night landings more risky than other airplanes?

You jest but I was surprised to see night landings in the new T-6 syllabus...

Which syllabus do you mean, and why would you be surprised night landings are in it?

~Bendy

15 hours ago, Hopefulflyer389 said:

#COVID-19

Man, it is going to be tough as hell for the Aggressors to employ this inside 6' while maintaining their block(s).

Edited by brickhistory
  • Upvote 1

On 5/20/2020 at 4:14 AM, Ryder1587 said:

Not a good week for aviation.  This these crashes it makes me wonder what the AIB was for the rash of crashes last year.  Anyone remember them all ?  I remember a C model overseas.  And maybe a 35 for the Marines ?

You mean an SII that says "stop f*cking up" doesn't actually do shit?

Edited by fox two
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

"The pilot noticed something was wrong with his helmet-mounted display, suggesting it was misaligned in relation to the horizon. The pilot cross-checked his virtual heads-up display and instrument landing system data, and visually adjusted his aim point and glide slope toward the runway’s threshold."

Root cause: F-35 doesn't have a HUD.

"

5 hours ago, ViperMan said:

"The pilot noticed something was wrong with his helmet-mounted display, suggesting it was misaligned in relation to the horizon. The pilot cross-checked his virtual heads-up display and instrument landing system data, and visually adjusted his aim point and glide slope toward the runway’s threshold."

"

Valid for pointing out the stupidity of not mounting a gunsight on a.... gun, but I'm pretty sure a no-hud ILS capability exists. I'd say root cause is touching down at > 200 knots.

https://www.afjag.af.mil/Portals/77/AIB-Reports/2020/May/Eglin AFB F35A AIB Report_Signed.pdf

"The AIB President found, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the mishap was caused first, by the MA touching down at 202 KCAS, and second, by the MA flight control surfaces, namely the tail of the aircraft, conflicting with the MP inputs upon landing, resulting in the MP’s inability to recover from the aircraft oscillation."

10 hours ago, ViperMan said:

"

It has a vHUD which is displayed on the glass. So it does have a "virtual HUD."

so he landed via a prohibited maneuver? (speed hold enabled)

"The pilot pulled back on the stick and hit full afterburners to try to abort the landing. But with the stabilizers pointing down, his effort to take off again was unsuccessful and he was forced to bail out."

that's terrifying to me that the computer could overrule the pilot trying to go around!\

"And he had several things on his mind, the report said, including a positive COVID-19 test of a contact of a contact that might require him to quarantine, which contributed to his task over-saturation." - really?

Edited by BashiChuni
  • Haha 1