Eglin F-22 Accident

Another win for ACES II.  Glad to hear the pilot is safe, always awesome when that happens.  Went down an ejection seat rabbit hole, didn't know there was a new system out there (ACES 5), pretty fascinating tech.  

Conversely to the tech of today, the seats in the BUFF are OG so not only does a lot have to happen just to get those things out, specifically for the RN/N the jet itself needs at least 250' to get one good swing in the chute. 

Edited by b52gator
  • Upvote 1

Airborne in my plane 10 miles west of him when it happened. 

WX was kind of crappy with a lot of haze, an unforecast scud deck from 2500' down to 1200'.  The winds were kicking this morning at 1000' I had 30 knots out of the southeast .

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Airborne in my plane 10 miles west of him when it happened. 

WX was kind of crappy with a lot of haze, an unforecast scud deck from 2500' down to 1200'.  The winds were kicking this morning at 1000' I had 30 knots out of the southeast .

That sea fog there is no joke... one time went from flying a vis pattern, to having to pick up an ifr clearance, to a mis approach on an ils in under 15 min. Glad he is safe!

• 1 year later...

more to the story:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2021/10/13/pilot-lost-control-of-wobbling-f-22-that-spiraled-to-the-ground-in-secretive-crash-last-year/?fbclid=IwAR3ryavGKSgGPKJBG45rPLskGm-lUxnR-7BsSDAfuVUQycEf6683Y-3k7IM

After more than a year of silence on the mishap, the Air Force said in August the jet crashed because of a “maintenance error made after the aircraft was washed” that “impacted control inputs transmitted to the aircraft.” The service did not elaborate on that error; the investigation documents do not include interviews with maintainers or other clear evidence of a cause.