Civilian jobs that work closely with the AF/squadrons?

KJoe

Hello Everyone. I was originally pursuing a pilot slot; however, due to a certain medication that I am on, I am unable to even get past MEPS. I have done everything possible, but I am not ready to accept the risk of quitting the medication right now. With this being the case, I would still like to be involved in any way possible with the military aviation world. In your experience, have there been any civilian positions that work closely with the squadrons or Air Force as a whole? 

I have a bachelor's degree and a couple of years of professional work experience. However, most of the available civilian jobs I have found on usajobs .com are sim/technical instructors or specialty roles such as doctors, nurses, etc., and I do not qualify. I referenced these forums for years when first pursuing a pilot slot, and given the amount of experienced members that frequent this site, I figured this would be the best place to ask this sort of question. 

I know this isn't your usual topic, but I appreciate any help I can get.

There are bunch of contractor jobs in the fighter squadrons at Shaw doing support stuff on clearancejobs.com.  Probably have those in other places too.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KJoe said:
Hello Everyone. I was originally pursuing a pilot slot; however, due to a certain medication that I am on, I am unable to even get past MEPS. I have done everything possible, but I am not ready to accept the risk of quitting the medication right now. With this being the case, I would still like to be involved in any way possible with the military aviation world. In your experience, have there been any civilian positions that work closely with the squadrons or Air Force as a whole? 

I have a bachelor's degree and a couple of years of professional work experience. However, most of the available civilian jobs I have found on usajobs .com are sim/technical instructors or specialty roles such as doctors, nurses, etc., and I do not qualify. I referenced these forums for years when first pursuing a pilot slot, and given the amount of experienced members that frequent this site, I figured this would be the best place to ask this sort of question. 

I know this isn't your usual topic, but I appreciate any help I can get.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/517671300

• Upvote 1

You didn't state what your degree is in.  Technical is probably more attractive than liberal arts, IMHO.

Working around active flying squadrons is cool, but since you are in the "never gonna be able to do it," is that really a good choice?  Seems a little masochistic since every day you'll be reminded of "no soup for you!"  Although you said "Air Force squadrons" so not necessarily a flying one?

Also, most, not all, but most line squadron GS positions are going to be fairly low grade - GS 7, 9, 11.  A few 12s, a few 13s, maybe a 14 once in a while.

Is the money at the lower grades enough for your needs?  Because, generally, once you start as a GS in whatever grade, you have to do your time (ability is nice, but not always necessary in what I've seen), before moving up.  And so on for each grade.  Job security, but average pay.  Is that for you?

Contract employee of one of many companies is another route to follow.  Again, kinda depends on your degree and location desired.

• Upvote 1

I applaud you for wanting to be involved in the flying business even though your primary route didn’t go as planned. Whatever you do, just be the best at it. I can think of a civilian secretary we had at my last squadron who was awesome at everything he did and was truly a joy to be around. That guys ability to help on a variety of personnel and admin issues really did enhance our ability to focus on the mission and get better. At the end of the day, that secretary did more for the team (squadron) than a lot of the aircrew members did. Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for the replies! I am approaching this in a very matter-of-fact way and would just be happy to contribute. I am going to look more into these suggestions and hopefully get some applications sent in. Thanks and staff safe!

On 4/27/2020 at 7:44 AM, brabus said:

Does the med DQ you from all mil service, or just flying?

DQ from all military service. A waiver (for enlisted, non-aircrew position) is possible after 2+ years off medication, but there are some health risks to me if I stop medication.  

KJoe if you wanted to be an Air Force pilot, then you have a certain amount of drive and are not scared of adventure.  There are other careers out there that have similar qualities of a pilot in terms of required dedication, drive, etc.  A GS or contractor in an AF squadron is not one of those careers.  Disclaimer: I'm a retired AF pilot and am currently a contractor in an Army unit, but my first gig after retirement was a contractor in an AF squadron (training squadron).

• Upvote 1

If your goal is to impact military operations as a civilian, I’d recommend checking out the intel field.  It’s a pretty diverse field and you and you can definitely find a niche where you can geek out over (adversary) aircraft.  You can also shape and influence collections, operations and decision makers at a very high level given time.  If being close to flying without actually flying is your goal you could always look into becoming an airline dispatcher.  You’ll deal with flight planning, scheduling, and a whole host of other flight issues assisting flight crews get from point A to point B.  However, I don’t believe there is a military version of flight dispatch if serving with the military is your thing.

• Upvote 1