Use or lose

Guardian

2 hours ago, mcbush said:

Not in the ARC, so correct me to 100%, but wouldn't it make sense for a part-timer to always take their leave rather than selling it so that you get the points in addition to the pay?

No.  You get 1 point per day on orders, leave doesn't really have anything to do with it.  As long as I got enough days off through our normal scheduling process, I preferred to sell my leave because I actually made more money that way.

42 minutes ago, slc said:

Unless you're a commuter..... I do believe you get more (perdiem etc) 

SocialD is probably also weighing the time he could be working for more money at his civ job instead of being on mil leave. 

2 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

SocialD is probably also weighing the time he could be working for more money at his civ job instead of being on mil leave. 

No just strictly talking about mil stuff.  You'll make more money selling it back over taking it.  But time off on leave has a value as well.  We just have generally have such a good schedule while full time, that a bunch of leave isn't really required. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brabus said:

When you sell back, you are missing out on BAH/BAS/Fly pay. So that’s less money than if you just took the day of leave. What am I missing?

It depends on how your local franchise unit interprets the regs. I've had it work out both ways after deployments or schools. 

Scenario 1: Orders end date doesn't change whether I take leave or not. The dollars in your pocket are greater if you sell back.

If 6 month orders end on August 15, they end on August 15. Take leave, you get paid through Aug 15 with BAH/BAS/Fly Pay, and nothing more. Sell back leave and you're paid through Aug 15 with BAH/BAS/Fly Pay, plus X days of base pay. 

Scenario 2: Orders end date changes based on leave sell back. Cash in hand is less if you sell back. 

If 6 month orders end on August 15 you've earned 15 days of leave. You can take leave Aug 1-15 and get BAH/BAS/Fly Pay. Or, you can sell back 15 days of leave. Your orders are modified to end on July 31 and you get a check for 15 days of basic pay. 

All depends on who is cutting your orders. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

When you sell back, you are missing out on BAH/BAS/Fly pay. So that’s less money than if you just took the day of leave. What am I missing?

What JBueno said, though the only orders that I've ever had extended to take leave were deployment orders.  I've never had a training, tdy, etc... order extended for leave.  

Brabus...simply put, if we both make 10k on a month on orders and you take your 2.5 days of leave in there, you still only make 10k.  If I sell my leave back, I get 10k + 2.5 days of pay (base pay only). Now, what value you put on your time off, is a whole other thing.  I'll say that I never had an issue with use/lose when I was full time because I always use lots of leave...they don't call it stay.  I never really held leave back just to make a little extra coin as I enjoy time off too much.  Though when I do alert orders, we have a dang good schedule and not much leave is needed unless I'm leaving town.   But your comment seems to be a common misconception I've heard throughout my entire career.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ToHoldShort said:

Sounds like we might not even get to take any leave for the rest of the year if they are going to let us hold on to that much leave.

41 minutes ago, ToHoldShort said:

Makes me wonder where people will find the time to burn that leave when it already gets denied due to manning.

• Upvote 1

Am I reading it right. So save up to 120 and that means if you have more than 120 at the end of the FY it will go back down to 120? Meaning you could have 150 saved up? So 5 months off?

Only for FY20. But if you somehow have 120 by the end of FY20 (or more realistically 90), you can carry a max of 120 through to FY23 before your max goes back down to 60.
  • Upvote 1

Only for FY20. But if you somehow have 120 by the end of FY20 (or more realistically 90), you can carry a max of 120 through to FY23 before your max goes back down to 60.

That’s my point. It’s till FY23. I can save 150 by then, then have one hell of a terminal and go airlines, but wait, I’m done with consolidation so back on to orders with me. And all done with first year pay. Double dipping in fact, the whole time.

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

So why 120? Nobody could have possibly accrued that much at the end of FY2020

Assume you had 60 days on 1 Oct 19, didn't use any yet this year (and won't be able to) ... and then this thing goes on for 18 months. There's your 120 days.

1 hour ago, Guardian said:

That’s my point. It’s till FY23. I can save 150 by then, then have one hell of a terminal and go airlines, but wait, I’m done with consolidation so back on to orders with me. And all done with first year pay. Double dipping in fact, the whole time.

Accumulation to 120 ends 30 Sep 20. Time to use said 120 ends 30 Sep 23. 

2 hours ago, Homestar said:

So why 120? Nobody could have possibly accrued that much at the end of FY2020

Some bros returning from 365s or other deployments who already had accruals in the system (I have over 100 I had until 2022 to get below 30 before the authorization dropped). 

Doesn’t compute..... why two separate dates?

And so let’s say I have 90 days by 30 sept 20. Is there a new clock that starts running?

Did you read the memo? It was clear. You can keep any leave over 60 but less than 120 based on your End of Sep LES. You can carry that extra up to 2023. You cannot add to it every year to get to 120.

So...let’s say you took no leave so far this FY and you end FY20 with 90 days. You can carry those extra 30 and your normal 60 until FY23 ends. So...if you retire/separate in FY21/22/23 you can have up to 90+30=120 days to use.

However you are still limited to 60 days of terminal normally.