Use or lose

Guardian

This article points to higher use/lose balance being considered (as well as extending the stop-movement order)

https://www.airforcemag.com/goldfein-military-movement-ban-expected-to-be-extended/

"Because people cannot travel, Goldfein said a decision is coming in the next two weeks that could let Airmen carry those days into 2021."

Hopefully it gets approved. I'm sitting on 30 days of use/lose that I had planned to use for a post deployment vacation and to visit family, but now that's on hold.

30 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

On this topic, where can you look up when your current use/lose will expire?

Did you have special leave accrual that allowed you to carry over additional days? If not, just log into Leaveweb or check your LES. It states what your use/lose balance is. You'll lose those days after 30 Sept under the current law. 

• Thanks 1

Key point when you choose to retire on terminal leave. I picked Aug as you gain leave while on leave so stay away from last of Sep. Also my PT test was due in Sept that’s one less, Maximize terminal as best as you can so you start your next job if you desire and double dip isn’t a bad idea. Never sell it back on retirement year since you lose quite a bit. Good luck to all.

3 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

In a previous squadron when the drop from 75 to 60 occurred we had someone who took 2.5 straight months off.  We all thought he had PCS'ed because no one had seen him in so long.

It was the summer of Hoss. And it was glorious 

Wasn't it up to 90 at one point? And then they backed it to 75, then down to 60 again? 

I have 20 days I haven't used yet. Just entered a formal training program so zero chance of using them now. If they let me carry all 20, next year will be a great year! 

Do I take them all at once? Or do I just decide to work 3 days a week for as long as possible..... Oh the decisions!!!!

Edited by FLEA

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

Wasn't it up to 90 at one point? And then they backed it to 75, then down to 60 again? 

I have 20 days I haven't used yet. Just entered a formal training program so zero chance of using them now. If they let me carry all 20, next year will be a great year! 

Do I take them all at once? Or do I just decide to work 3 days a week for as long as possible..... Oh the decisions!!!!

There’s a guy in one of my previous squadrons that took leave every week starting at noon on Thursday.  I think he did it for almost a year. 

4 hours ago, HU&W said:

There’s a guy in one of my previous squadrons that took leave every week starting at noon on Thursday.  I think he did it for almost a year. 

Amazed he got away with it! I've gotten the scowl before for taking off at noon on the day prior to starting leave! Seems rediculous since it's specifically authorized but so many people think it's exploiting the system. 

8 hours ago, FLEA said:

Amazed he got away with it! I've gotten the scowl before for taking off at noon on the day prior to starting leave! Seems rediculous since it's specifically authorized but so many people think it's exploiting the system. 

His theory was twofold.  

1.  Don't care what people think or about future progression.

2.  Put it in leaveweb so they have to deny it.

Can't say I recommend the strategy.

5 minutes ago, HU&W said:

His theory was twofold.  

1.  Don't care what people think or about future progression.

2.  Put it in leaveweb so they have to deny it.

Can't say I recommend the strategy.

On the contrary, I think this is a great strategy for a passed over major or a Lt Col cruising to retirement.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 8:07 AM, HU&W said:

We had a similar situation, but the dude took Mondays (due to Blues Monday and also because Fridays are slow unless you're on the Morale Line).

17 hours ago, rancormac said:

What luck have guard guys had being able to sell it back?  I'll be coming off orders at the end of Sep....

I'm in the same boat, with 40+ days right now. I've been told that I can take leave to stay at home (despite already being on a work from home status).

2 hours ago, war007afa said:

We had a similar situation, but the dude took Mondays (due to Blues Monday and also because Fridays are slow unless you're on the Morale Line).

Had a DO that recommended Wednesday.  Monday is catching up, Tuesday is like Friday.  Come back on Thursday, then you have an actual Friday.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, FLEA said:

What’s to “get away with”? it’s written in the damn regs. 

I always put my leave in LeaveWeb to start at 1200 the day prior to the first chargeable day. It always gets approved. If someone scowled at me for doing what the regs state, I think I’d laugh in their face. 

Edited by Hunter Rose
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

What’s to “get away with”? it’s written in the damn regs. 

I always put my leave in LeaveWeb to start at 1200 the day prior to the first chargeable day. It always gets approved. If someone scowled at me for doing what the regs state, I think I’d laugh in their face. 

I know it's written in the AFI but in a lot of squadrons I've been in it's just not something you do. Certainly you can fight the fight and point out the AFI. You will get the time off. It won't be worth the fallout though. 

6 hours ago, FLEA said:

I know it's written in the AFI but in a lot of squadrons I've been in it's just not something you do. Certainly you can fight the fight and point out the AFI. You will get the time off. It won't be worth the fallout though. 

Glad I have not been in the squadrons you have been in then. I would not have done well there.

How there can be fallout if the Supervisor approves leave in accordance with the regs is asinine to me. If there's an "issue" with it in a squadron, the Supervisor should just not approve leave in this manner. Letting there be negative repercussions for approved leave in accordance with the regs is weak squadron/flight leadership.

Edited by Hunter Rose

On 4/9/2020 at 6:25 PM, rancormac said:

What luck have guard guys had being able to sell it back?  I'll be coming off orders at the end of Sep....

On 4/10/2020 at 11:32 AM, Stoker said:

I'm in the same boat, with 40+ days right now. I've been told that I can take leave to stay at home (despite already being on a work from home status).

Hopefully we'll be out of this mess and back to work this summer, then you can just use up all that use/lose.   When I was full time, I never had a problem using my leave so I never got to use/lose, but I don't know if you can just sell back use/lose.  I think you can only sell leave at the end of an order.  Also remember there is a career limit on how many days of leave you can sell back on orders on long term orders (over a year I think).  Orders under a year, you can sell back as much as you accumulate.  Stroker, if you're only at 40ish days of leave right now, you shouldn't hit the use/lose point by September, assuming that's when your orders end.  Also remember that you can carryover leave at the end of an order if you want to go that route.  I guess if you're already getting enough time off from work anyway, selling it back will net your more cash in the long run. 

On 4/11/2020 at 3:21 AM, FLEA said:

I know it's written in the AFI but in a lot of squadrons I've been in it's just not something you do. 

Yikes, sounds like you've been in some bad squadrons.  That's been my techniques for years and was tough to me by my ridiculously by the book SQ/CC at the time.