Where Did The Myth of Needing an Engineering Degree Come From?

JohnClark

2 hours ago, HU&W said:

This. 

Many things in the AF are about increasing the pool of future eligibles. AF never wants to be in the situation where they have to select #1 of 1, or worse, waive requirements. 

Except here we are waiving requirements left and right!

Tongue in cheek...Not for TPS that I know of, but for almost everything else so there’s definitely truth in that sentiment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hawg15 said:

That wouldn’t have been very helpful for you now. It’s a good plan B if you may not end up serving in the military when you graduate. Companies don’t want to hire someone for a technical job, who hasn’t been working in the field, with a 10-20 year out of date STEM degree if you haven’t gone back to school. It’ll check the box to be “qualified” to even apply, but it wont get you hired. The only thing your standard officer brings to the table is leadership skills for management type positions. The science and engineering fields are constantly updating and changing. If you don’t start working in them out of college you are already significantly behind.

This isn't entirely true. Just depends what you want to do. For me, I looked into med school but lacked the pre reqs from my undergrad. I would need a post bac program now which adds a huge financial and time hurdle. 

On 4/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Swizzle said:

. He DG'd 3 flying formal schools, so the system wasn't so abrasive to/of him. Seems an engineering degree isn't required to do well in flying courses. Perhaps pedigree is more important in later career, only time will tell ...or not.

While going to the U of Hawaii I majored in sailing ( no shit 3 yrs sailing scholarship) and struggled thru business school after dropping out of engineering.  Took five years to graduate (who graduates from U of H in 4?) and was a DG out of UPT.  Go figure.   

Studying hard for an exam:

sailing.jpg

Edited by Springer
Screwed up
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Civil engineering guy here. It’s pretty much a myth for sure but I always encounter folks that thought having an engineer degree would make you stand out. If you can make it thru engineering, you can make it thru UPT it’s the general consensus. I for one like to think it’s all about work ethic and “how much do you want it”. Had plenty of good bros in engineering that were pretty smart, but lazy. Made A+ on exams but would get F’s on group work type stuff. Had other bros that could not perform during exams, but would nevertheless stay up all night trying to figure it out. I was one of those all nighter dudes with shitty grades. I think engineering has help me in having an excuse for shitty grades in college. Graduated with a 2.6 but “it was engineering... so that’s okay” it’s the response I usually get.

Don’t let other folks persuade ya into engineering because it might help your chances. Just like aviation, engineering is not for everybody. Also I am sure every major out there will come with its own set of challenges to overcome. Even sailing ;-)

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1