Career progression after being passed over?

On 8/31/2020 at 6:05 AM, Velosprints said:

Sorry this is so late, but I did end up getting selected for O-4. (Thank goodness) With my furlough notice in hand, now I’m wondering if O-5 is in the cards! 🤣🤣

Glad to hear you were selected.  Transfer to the Guard, if nothing else you may promote via ROPMA.  We just had a few guys promote to O-5 w/o ACSC and we have an O-5 heading to board soon who hasn't done SOS or ACSC.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Assuming no breaks in service, is there any way an O-4 reservist isn’t allowed to retire after being passed over twice for O-5?

Would being a Cat-E reservist have any effect?

This is the only reg I could find:

5.11.3. A major, twice deferred for promotion to lieutenant colonel and not in a continued status, will be removed from the RASL on the first day of the month after the month the officer completes 20 years of commissioned service.

I take that to mean, they will let you get to retirement, but your services are no longer required. 

Edited by Reserve

You have to keep getting good years. They’ll allow 1 extra yr, in general, if you’re in sanctuary. This special sanctuary status will allow you 21 total years if you need it to get 20 good years. This would apply if you had bad year(s) in your past, for example.
If you get continuation beyond 20 then that’s when the timeline is less stringent. Problem is you won’t know if you get continuation until the second failure of selection, so you can’t plan on it.
Cat E is no different than other cats.

• 5 months later...