Executive Order: Up to 1 mil Ready Reserve called to AD

gearhog

2 hours ago, torqued said:

Not sure what this means for recently separated or retired.

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1243656134109597702?s=20

Full text here. https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/eo-order-selected-reserve-certain-members-individual-ready-reserve-armed-forces-active-duty/

It’s for IRR and SR.  He maxed out the statutory authority of 1mil in a national emergency. Also, the emergency means that they can be used for disaster relief or to suppress an insurrection (not allowed without emergency authorities). 

• Like 1

What it means for the recently separated officers who did not join the SELRES/PIRR: You are most likely* in the IRR if you:

1. Volunteered for it (ie obtained a reserve commission--requires positive action to be scrolled)

2. Are required to be in the IRR by reason of unfulfilled Military Service Obligation (< 8 years total service) or because you received separation pay (which requires at least 3 yrs IRR service).

3. Otherwise have a reserve commission in the ready reserve (i.e. you have not resigned your reserve commission, nor was your commission revoked (eg by twice failure of selection for promotion), nor did you transfer to the retired reserve).

Retirees are not in the ready reserve, so this order does not affect them.

* I say most likely because that is what is supposed to happen. But I have witnessed on at least 2 occasions where AFPC failed to place separating people in the IRR, even though they were required to do so by law.

BLAB: If you separated at the end of your UPT commitment, you are most likely not in the IRR. If you want to be sure you can check Milconnect. You'll need a DS logon, though. 

• Like 3

42 U.S. Code § 212.Retirement of commissioned officers

(c) Recall to active duty

A commissioned officer, retired for reasons other than for failure of promotion to the senior grade, may (1) if an officer of the Regular Corps or an officer of the Reserve Corps entitled to retired pay under subsection (a), be involuntarily recalled to active duty during such times as the Commissioned Corps constitutes a branch of the land or naval forces of the United States, and (2) if an officer of either the Regular or Reserve Corps, be recalled to active duty at any time with his consent.

Someone asked me "where in Milconnect can I see if I am or am not in the IRR?"

1. Login

2. My Profile menu: Update and view my profile

3. There should be a tab labeled "personal". For myself I also have a tab labeled "MIL". So if you don't have the tab labeled MIL then you are not in the IRR (as far as DMDC/DEERS "knows" anyway).

4. If you do have a MIL tab, click on that. Then you'll look at "DOD Association." It will have a variety of titles there such as SELRES, IRR, etc.

• 3 months later...

Some info from ARPC's Reserve handbook. It contradicts itself, but I think if one wants to be absolutely sure to be out of the Air Force, he needs to submit a resignation.

"Officers who remain in the nonparticipating
IRR for at least two years, three years for separation
pay recipients, will be discharged unless
they are qualified and request a transfer to the
Retired Reserve.
"Officers who remain in the nonparticipating
IRR are transferred to the Standby Reserve unless
they are qualified and request a transfer to
the Retired Reserve."