COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

5 hours ago, slc said:

Anyone get the J&J vax yet?  Any trip reports?

I’m currently “deployed” with a COVID vax team. I’m an 11M so I have no idea what I’m talking about. However we’ve administered just over 100k shots, mostly Pfizer, and I’d say there were about 20 people that have had issues during the 15-30 minute post-vax window. VAERS website has good info. About 5 have required ambulatory transport. Our vax rates dropped tremendously once we announced our J&J push. Quite a few people even left the building without getting it after talking to our medical providers. Godspeed!

Edited by Nodeskjobs
Added additional info

15hrs into it; restless sleep last night, chills, a few aches this morning, 5G location w/ iphone drastically improved this a.m.  Overall not too bad!

So when it was suggested with some evidence that Kung Flu was a laboratory-made event that escaped, it was scoffed especially because Orange Man Bad.

Now many of those that did so, except for the all-knowing social media giants, who are never wrong, especially media outlets are running with the story as more evidence becomes available.

The great and powerful Fauci has got some 'splainin' to do as well.

But, what does the world, including and especially the US, do if it originated from China?

If it's accidental, it's still a big deal.

If was deliberate, it seems to be an act of war.  Albeit a year late.

But at least there are no mean tweets going around about it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, brickhistory said:

So when it was suggested with some evidence that Kung Flu was a laboratory-made event that escaped, it was scoffed especially because Orange Man Bad.

Now many of those that did so, except for the all-knowing social media giants, who are never wrong, especially media outlets are running with the story as more evidence becomes available.

I know Fauci is a dueche, but he's one guy. I'm personally much more dis-heartened by the gusto with which it was so collectively dismissed by the mainstream media. It wasn't "well, it could have plausibly been a leak from a lab, we'll have to wait and see...". Rather, it was "it absolutely was not a leak from a lab. Period. Full stop. Also, racist." Trust in institutions is at an all time low, and I feel this is but one further instance of a collective lack of integrity across the board. It's scary when you step back and consider it's implications.

1 hour ago, brickhistory said:

But, what does the world, including and especially the US, do if it originated from China?

If it's accidental, it's still a big deal.

If was deliberate, it seems to be an act of war.  Albeit a year late.

But at least there are no mean tweets going around about it.

image.thumb.png.b461a17f8d61bd908a81f97c3745fdf5.png
But the science indicates it evolved naturally and didn’t escape from the bio weapons lab!  We have to trust the science; it’s “settled” so don't ask questions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, youdontknowthis said:

Just for some data. My parents both got the J&J about 2.5 months ago. Both tested positive for covid about 10 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting a vaccine doesn’t mean you won’t get the virus. 

34 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

It is also only 61(?)% effective vs 95+% for Moderna and Pfizer.

So, effective at what? There may be a primary end point, such as "never get the virus". I'm more interested in secondary end points, such as "gets the virus but gets mild or moderate case", "doesn't need hospitalization", or survival.

With a good immune response, your viral load will be lower and you're less likely to transmit. That's good.

Modern HIV treatment doesn't cure, but it lowers viral load, reduces transmission, and extends lifespan. Not saying this is anything nearly as serious or incurable, just saying we already have experience with benefits in treatment that doesn't 100% prevent the illness.

Flu vaccine is same. It's only so good at completely preventing flu, but effect on hospitalization and mortality still makes it more than worthwhile.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Tested in different environments.  And all three were 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations.

True for the Relative (to not getting a vaccine) Risk Reduction, but looking at Absolute Risk Reduction, they’re all about the same. Not taking into account the things mentioned previously that all of them are really effective at preventing a serious infection.

First heard these stats on a podcast between doctors:

Vaccine efficacy is generally reported as a relative risk reduction (RRR). It uses the relative risk (RR)—ie, the ratio of attack rates with and without a vaccine—which is expressed as 1–RR. Ranking by reported efficacy gives relative risk reductions of 95% for the Pfizer–BioNTech, 94% for the Moderna–NIH, 90% for the Gamaleya, 67% for the J&J, and 67% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford vaccines. However, RRR should be seen against the background risk of being infected and becoming ill with COVID-19, which varies between populations and over time. Although the RRR considers only participants who could benefit from the vaccine, the absolute risk reduction (ARR), which is the difference between attack rates with and without a vaccine, considers the whole population. ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·2% for the J&J, 0·93% for the Gamaleya, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines.

From a http:// https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(21)00069-0/fulltext

10 hours ago, youdontknowthis said:

Just for some data. My parents both got the J&J about 2.5 months ago. Both tested positive for covid about 10 days ago.

Are they doing ok?  Mild symptoms? Age?  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/01/wuhan-coronavirus-lab-leak-covid-virus-origins-china

"Because if the hypothesis is right, it will soon start to dawn on people that our mistake was not insufficient reverence for scientists, or inadequate respect for expertise, or not enough censorship on Facebook. It was a failure to think critically about all of the above, to understand that there is no such thing as absolute expertise."

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FlyingWolf said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/01/wuhan-coronavirus-lab-leak-covid-virus-origins-china

"Because if the hypothesis is right, it will soon start to dawn on people that our mistake was not insufficient reverence for scientists, or inadequate respect for expertise, or not enough censorship on Facebook. It was a failure to think critically about all of the above, to understand that there is no such thing as absolute expertise."

Think about all the people in this country who would, without question, suck start the shit out of a pitot tube if I told them it was the safest way to test it...I’m a pilot, so therefore an expert and everything I say regarding planes is true, and cannot be critically examined or questioned!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, brabus said:

Think about all the people in this country who would, without question, suck start the shit out of a pitot tube if I told them it was the safest way to test it...I’m a pilot, so therefore an expert and everything I say regarding planes is true, and cannot be critically examined or questioned!

E8136E3D-D02A-4BFC-8E20-B6BB1DC94913.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Are they doing ok?  Mild symptoms? Age?  

Dad is pretty much over it. His symptoms weren’t too bad he says. Slight fever and body aches. My mom is feeling pretty rough though. She has pretty much most if not all of the normal symptoms. Hers have been pretty strong for the whole time and she’s over the 10 day mark now and still feeling rough. Her symptoms came a few days after my dad. She hasn’t had to go to the hospital though. Mainly just laying low and resting it off. They are 70 and 69.