COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

15 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I think it was NY Times and I am out of free views...I certainly won't support that paper.  I do have an older story from the NY Times saying the same thing (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/health/coronavirus-patients-risk.html)

IF you're on a normal browser you can use "private" or "incognito" mode and get some more free views.

That's your cyber tip for the day!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

Interestingly enough, whenever I see stories that have pictures of "healthy" people dying from Covid, they are all massively obese. Maybe that goes along with the whole "large is beautiful" movement, but I digress.

Sure, the probability of death from a vaccine are low, but what of other potential effects that we have absolutely zero knowledge of?

Well, obesity is a co-morbidity.  Just because someone has a co-morbidity doesn't mean they couldn't have had a much longer life.  I have a quite a few, some I'm working on, some I got cursed genetics on.  My line generally survives until about 70 without medical intervention, with it..Dad's probably going to get into his mid-80's.  To hand wave a possible COVID death off for me with "co-morbidity" isn't a honest way to look at it.  I think that's the same for a lot of the folks out there. 

What I've read more was pregnant women late in term having miscarriages, and at least here in UT there's some strange syndrome hitting some of the kids that get it.

18 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I think it was NY Times and I am out of free views...I certainly won't support that paper.  I do have an older story from the NY Times saying the same thing (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/health/coronavirus-patients-risk.html)

If incognito doesn't work, disable javascript - there's a chrome extension. Works like a charm on NYT. $0 spent.

• Upvote 2

Heard some rumors from someone connected to HAF/A1 today that USAF is at historically high retention due to COVID and voluntary seperation programs are being considered for FY21 to meet end strength. No hints as to career fields or what the bonus will look like. 

3 hours ago, FLEA said:

Heard some rumors from someone connected to HAF/A1 today that USAF is at historically high retention due to COVID and voluntary seperation programs are being considered for FY21 to meet end strength. No hints as to career fields or what the bonus will look like. 

Ah yes, the old “if you recognize the impending dumpster fire we’ll pay you to leave” trick. Sun Tzu and Clausewitz were both huge advocates. Check and mate.

Thought I saw somewhere that rated retention didn't improve despite the pandemic...

Thought I saw somewhere that rated retention didn't improve despite the pandemic...

The shoe clerks are staying in. I know a LOT of shoes that haven’t had to go to work for months and so their 30 min of email from home each day while getting a paycheck.

Pilots, maintainers and others actually still have to work. But I know a lot of pilots who aren’t separating as covid dashed their airline plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 1

The only people I’ve seen that didn’t change their separation plans were ones with a reserve job lined up down the hall. And that was because they had a sim job across the street lined up. 

I don’t believe for a second that rated retention is the same in 2020 as it was in 2019. 

I am a perfect example of COVID induced retention. I created over 20 YOS this fall and planned to retire this month. Obviously, for a guy who wants to fly still the job market is bleak.

Now I’m trying to decide if I should take another assignment to get into multi engine aircraft before the airlines start hiring, whenever the hell that might be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another COVID retention here. Had a CJO, TR job, and a sep date all lined up very neatly. CJO got turned off and I was luckily able to turn off the separation. Signed the bonus and now gonna try and stay til 15 years and then give the airlines another try and then see if I can get 5+ years of AGR somewhere and still fish out an AD retirement.

52 minutes ago, StoleIt said:

Another COVID retention here. Had a CJO, TR job, and a sep date all lined up very neatly. CJO got turned off and I was luckily able to turn off the separation. Signed the bonus and now gonna try and stay til 15 years and then give the airlines another try and then see if I can get 5+ years of AGR somewhere and still fish out an AD retirement.

Are we the same person because damn that sounds familiar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

vaccines on the way. this will be over by spring.

With two big caveats:

1. If we can get it manufactured and distributed quickly.

2. If we can get people to take it. 

I'm pretty confident on the first point but not so much on the second. There should have been national education campaign this summer to explain to the American people how we know the vaccine is safe and effective. I've done an informal survey of my coworkers and maybe 50% are willing to get the first round of vaccines.  

If those two things happen I bet things get back to normal pretty quick. COVID has proven that Zoom can't replace all business meetings and people really miss traveling. I feel terrible for all of my UPT classmates that had training dates at the majors lined up then got COVID'ed and hope it gets back to normal quickly. 

1 hour ago, Snuggie said:

With two big caveats:

I'm pretty confident on the first point but not so much on the second. There should have been national education campaign this summer to explain to the American people how we know the vaccine is safe and effective. I've done an informal survey of my coworkers and maybe 50% are willing to get the first round of vaccines.  

If those two things happen I bet things get back to normal pretty quick. COVID has proven that Zoom can't replace all business meetings and people really miss traveling. I feel terrible for all of my UPT classmates that had training dates at the majors lined up then got COVID'ed and hope it gets back to normal quickly. 

Rogan had NICHOLAS CHRISTAKIS on the other day again.  Lots of good info.  Distribution isn't so easy due to super refrigeration requirements.  Will be interesting the level of manufacturing/logistic power behind this.  He also isn't seeing a return to "normal" until 2024...............

1 hour ago, Snuggie said:

With two big caveats:

2. Count me as a hard no for #2. If you all haven’t heard about it, Moderna and Pfizer are using genetic therapy/modification technology that has NEVER been used for a vaccine (believe it’s called CRISPR) ever before. Most currently approved vaccines use attenuated or dead virus cells to create an immune system response. Modified RNA (mRNA) used in these two new COVID vaccines will reprogram (essentially changing targeted parts of your DNA) cells to produce Covid and Covid like proteins/enzymes/etc...Add to this, it’s the first vaccine that hasn’t had trend data for at least 3-4 years to verify safety before approval for use. Moderna also hasn’t produced a single vaccine in the past. I’m not a doctor/biologist/virologist, but I’d encourage all of you to not take my word for it. Check it out on a search engine besides google. I’ve seen I Am Legend, doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, GoodSplash9 said:

2. Count me as a hard no for #2. If you all haven’t heard about it, Moderna and Pfizer are using genetic therapy/modification technology that has NEVER been used for a vaccine (believe it’s called CRISPR) ever before. Most currently approved vaccines use attenuated or dead virus cells to create an immune system response. Modified RNA (mRNA) used in these two new COVID vaccines will reprogram (essentially changing targeted parts of your DNA) cells to produce Covid and Covid like proteins/enzymes/etc...Add to this, it’s the first vaccine that hasn’t had trend data for at least 3-4 years to verify safety before approval for use. Moderna also hasn’t produced a single vaccine in the past. I’m not a doctor/biologist/virologist, but I’d encourage all of you to not take my word for it. Check it out on a search engine besides google. I’ve seen I Am Legend, doesn’t seem like a great idea to me.

If you’re serious, then no. These vaccines do not change or modify your DNA. They do not use CRISPR. Will Smith will not be aimlessly driving a GT500 in an empty NYC.

They use mRNA that is processed by the ribosomes (and subsequently destroyed) to make antigens, that then spur the bodies to make antibodies. I get being apprehensive about new tech in vaccines, but let’s keep the misinformation to a minimum.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Snuggie said:

I've done an informal survey of my coworkers and maybe 50% are willing to get the first round of vaccines

Same here, among co workers and neighbors. I’m honestly surprised that high of a percentage is willing to get it. 

6 hours ago, brabus said:

Same here, among co workers and neighbors. I’m honestly surprised that high of a percentage is willing to get it. 

I'm surprised that all the people saying "the virus isn't a big deal" and "99% of people who get it survive" are reluctant to get a vaccine.

I mean...the other additives are basically the same as for the flu shot or MMR vaccine.  So the only novel part is the Covid-19...which is really survivable for anyone who is relatively young and in good health.

But then...there's a pretty big overlap in the population that believes masks infringe on their personal freedom and the anit-vax, "I never get a flu shot because you just get the flu anyway" crowd.

I'll be first in line for a Covid-19 vaccine if it means seeing my extended family on holidays again, having live sports and concerts, having in-person parties and group events, etc...

Rogan had NICHOLAS CHRISTAKIS on the other day again.  Lots of good info.  Distribution isn't so easy due to super refrigeration requirements.  Will be interesting the level of manufacturing/logistic power behind this.  He also isn't seeing a return to "normal" until 2024..........

The flu shot also needs refrigeration...yet we somehow manage to distribute that to millions of people every year.  Refrigeration is not an insurmountable obstacle...Hell, it's not even a difficult obstacle.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

The flu shot also needs refrigeration...yet we somehow manage to distribute that to millions of people every year.  Refrigeration is not an insurmountable obstacle...Hell, it's not even a difficult obstacle.

-80 degrees C (colder than dry ice) is not your standard refrigeration obstacle.

Edited by BFM this
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, uhhello said:

Rogan had NICHOLAS CHRISTAKIS on the other day again.  Lots of good info.  Distribution isn't so easy due to super refrigeration requirements.  Will be interesting the level of manufacturing/logistic power behind this.  He also isn't seeing a return to "normal" until 2024...............

I sat in on a meeting about distribution, and I don't think it will be as hard as we feared. Many major hospitals have ultra cold storage, and with the goal of getting the vaccine into people as soon as possible a lot of the storage will be of the "just in time" variety. This will be harder in rural areas/less developed countries but the Moderna vaccine just requires a standard freezer. 

I'm with @pawnman , I'm part of the 50% that will get it as soon as it's available to me. My wife is pregnant and I am the most likely vector of the virus into my house, so if I can reduce that probability of people getting sick I'm going to take it. I suspect airlines and other high risk events (i.e. live sports) will require proof of vaccination once it is widely available until the case load drops to almost nothing. I don't see a lot of states making it mandatory due to people's hesitancy so businesses will have to take the lead. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

I'm surprised that all the people saying "the virus isn't a big deal" and "99% of people who get it survive" are reluctant to get a vaccine.

Why is that surprising? Get an injection of something that was rammed through testing with no longterm data vs. a 1.8% chance of getting covid, and if losing those odds, have a 99.99% of recovery (numbers derived from my state specifically for anyone under 70). Seems fairly logical for anybody who doesn’t have other health concerns (diabetes, etc.) and don’t have any other circumstances, like immune-compromised family member, healthcare worker, etc. to skip it. At least until there is some long term data.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, brabus said:

Why is that surprising? Get an injection of something that was rammed through testing with no longterm data vs. a 1.8% chance of getting covid, and if losing those odds, have a 99.99% of recovery (numbers derived from my state specifically for anyone under 70). Seems fairly logical for anybody who doesn’t have other health concerns (diabetes, etc.) and don’t have any other circumstances, like immune-compromised family member, healthcare worker, etc. to skip it. At least until there is some long term data.

"Rammed through with no testing"...what do you think is in the vaccine?  Do you think they've crafted some kind of wild, unique additives never before used in a vaccine just for this one?  

Vaccines are a pretty well established technology.  The only risky part is using portions of the virus to elicit a response...with that risk being that you actually infect people with Covid instead of preventing them from getting it.