COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

2 hours ago, rancormac said:

If some dumbass with the virus is out in public and wearing a mask, will it slow their infectious rate down? Probably.

Great, wear a fucking mask since there's a ton of people who are asymptomatic and don't even know. They're not dumbasses since we can't even get tests to most of the folks with some of the symptoms. 

They wouldn't test any of my Airmen/buddies who didn't have all the symptoms:

One dude had all of them but the fever..."no test, not COVID-19." 
One dude's wife is positive, no test for the rest of the family, they only had fevers and slight cough..."no test, not COVID-19."
Another guy had all the symptoms, not healthcare worker..."no test, not COVID-19."
Buddy in another Sq, all symptoms and had to get carried into the ER, not healthcare worker, "no test, not COVID-19."  He had to have his family carry him to the bathroom he was so exhausted.

More data will become available and we'll adjust.  Acting like something isn't a perfect solution so why try...are you a Col/GO?

This whole thing is the greatest example of "it's not about you" and give a shit about your fellow human being.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nsplayr said:

https://warontherocks.com/2020/04/the-navys-crisis-of-special-trust-and-confidence/

I thought this was an excellent write up of the USS TR incident and how the Navy (mis)handled things. 

Anytime I see any version of the phrase "Lost confidence in his/her ability to lead" it makes me cringe. I think we all know that it's a line for a WIDE range of offenses, unfortunately. I know we don't need to know all the details, but it's just become too much of a catch-all IMHO.

13 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

One dude had all of them but the fever..."no test, not COVID-19." 
One dude's wife is positive, no test for the rest of the family, they only had fevers and slight cough..."no test, not COVID-19."
Another guy had all the symptoms, not healthcare worker..."no test, not COVID-19."
Buddy in another Sq, all symptoms and had to get carried into the ER, not healthcare worker, "no test, not COVID-19."  He had to have his family carry him to the bathroom he was so exhausted.

This is going to have the effect, intentionally or not, of reducing the reported caseload, making containment efforts look more effective. And of course, making the death rate look even worse.

• Upvote 2

I rarely go out, but when I do for finite resources I wear a mask and gloves. Being respectful of others and no one exactly knows the actual effectiveness good/bad percentages wise, but having the resources especially if you (I am that guy) tour the world on a frequent basis (every month) it is my duty to remain aware and apart from others in order not to jeopardize them or their families. My area is relatively naive and a third at best now wear protective gear, but they stay clear of those with masks thinking we might have this virus and rightfully so. Mask makes me personally aware of my face so I dare not touch it. I do not believe I have it since I was checked in Mar positive for the flu type B (now I wonder if you can have both as the testing stopped there, who knows). Either way, it’s a mild nuisance, we have all had chem gear training of some sort; therefore, you can add common sense measures when you arrive home discarding gloves, mask, clothes in the wash, getting sprayed in the face by my wife before I escaped to the shower after a world trip. Overkill perhaps, but it’s not hurting anyone and prudent in regards to things I care about. Company gives me kits so I use them, no big deal for me. 

I'm just frustrated at how this mask guidance came out.  On a Sunday afternoon, instructing people who largely aren't supposed to be leaving the house to come to work Monday with a mask... From somewhere?  And the Air Force wasted no time dictating appearance rules for the masks... But provided zero resources to anyone to fulfill the guidance.

Maybe it is better than nothing, but it seems like a lot of higher level leadership decisions.  Can't do anything smart, can't solve the problem... But they can do something visible so they don't get fired for "not doing enough".

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, pawnman said:

I'm just frustrated at how this mask guidance came out.  On a Sunday afternoon, instructing people who largely aren't supposed to be leaving the house to come to work Monday with a mask... From somewhere?  And the Air Force wasted no time dictating appearance rules for the masks... But provided zero resources to anyone to fulfill the guidance.

Maybe it is better than nothing, but it seems like a lot of higher level leadership decisions.  Can't do anything smart, can't solve the problem... But they can do something visible so they don't get fired for "not doing enough".

Agreed, although my base put out guidance on how to sew your own mask from household materials.  Like with a sewing machine; because we all use those things...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Agreed, although my base put out guidance on how to sew your own mask from household materials.  Like with a sewing machine; because we all use those things...

I’ll be sewing mine with the standard issue sewing kit from initial AF inprocessing. It’ll probably be about two weeks before I can make it in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mask fabrication techniques and filtration effectiveness aside, this is just the latest in a laundry list of half-assed mitigation measures put in place by leadership to simply look like they're doing something. 

Want to hear another one?  UPT bases are currently doing two-team alternating day ops with half the IPs/studs flying one day while the other half has the day off.  The idea is to mitigate the spread by reducing total pool of people you interact with.  Which sounds like a decent idea until you consider the fact that they're all working in the same building, sitting at the same desks, flying the same airplanes, and storing their gear in 6-9 inches from someone else's in a cramped peg room.

My buddy's quote referencing this policy: "it's almost like we're doing something.. to look like we're doing something.. while not actually doing anything at all."  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

Should be great for that 18-year-old airman in the dorms.

I was rocking the last-minute cut-out fabric off my black T-shirt from the black boot days, folded through two rubber bands. Look like a ghetto Shinobi. Fit's worth a shit but hey, 'resiliency'. 😄

3 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

Put a trash bag over your head with a rubber band around your neck, that’ll keep that shit out.

Sounds like sage advice for that SECNAV clown to take right about now.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HU&W said:

One wing commander put out a policy at 0700 this morning that masks will be ocp print or ocp colors to match the uniform.  

I guess anyone who was at work prior was sent home to get into the proper uniform?

I guess anyone who was at work prior was sent home to get into the proper uniform?

And that’s when you leave and don’t come back for the rest of the day.

I’ll laugh if someone tries to chief over this. I already don’t have to get my haircut, who gives a what color my bandana is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

I’ll be sewing mine with the standard issue sewing kit from initial AF inprocessing. It’ll probably be about two weeks before I can make it in. 

Nice.

Here's the mask I wore today. Gate guard said I didn't look like the picture on my ID

IMG_1168.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rancormac said:

words

ok so you are admitting that the benefit of wearing a mask may be small, but is nonzero.  So why are you advocating not wearing one, particularly when there are many who are asymptomatic?

I get it that it looks dumb, but as someone said above...spend some time in asia and it's fairly common and considered courteous to wear masks if you aren't feeling 100% so you aren't spreading whatever you have everywhere.  Now is the time to be extra careful with you and your family's health...you don't want to have to go to a hospital for any reason.  It's not a hill worth dying on.

6 hours ago, drewpey said:

ok so you are admitting that the benefit of wearing a mask may be small, but is nonzero.  So why are you advocating not wearing one, particularly when there are many who are asymptomatic?

I get it that it looks dumb, but as someone said above...spend some time in asia and it's fairly common and considered courteous to wear masks if you aren't feeling 100% so you aren't spreading whatever you have everywhere.  Now is the time to be extra careful with you and your family's health...you don't want to have to go to a hospital for any reason.  It's not a hill worth dying on.

The benefits of wearing a mask may be non-zero, but I think the jury is still out on the benefits of haphazardly wrapping a t-shirt around your head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1