COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)

Orbit

This mornings earthquake here in Utah definitely has people on edge more than before. Stores have lines now due to limitations to how many people are allowed in due to possibly compromised structures. At least they have TP and some cleaning stuff on hand.

Listen to the CDC. Wash your ing hands, distance yourselves from others. This will all be over sooner if we all do what we have to do. Im just glad its not hitting kids.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, torqued said:

It’s just the flu. Last years flu killed way more. When we get warmer weather, this will clear up. The markets will bounce right back. Buy the dip!  So many great deals to be had.

I'm not an expert nor did I stay at holiday in express last night I do have a perspective as  FF/Paramedic on a transporting unit. Two people on my department are already in quarantine, I've already donned the PPE twice in less than two 24 hour shifts in an area with 30 confirmed cases as of yesterday. We can't wear N95s when we go into a nursing home for the 217th time for the day to take additional precautions for the immunocomprimised/elderly that reside there due to playing the numbers game. I fully expect to acquire the "Kungfu  Flu" lolz and my concern is that I'll be called to another response and inadvertently pass it on to someone whom has additional risk factors due to many being asymptomatic carriers. Also, in my time practicing I've gotten the shitty follow up report for people below 35 who have passed away from the Flu/Pneumonia that we're otherwise healthy. It's rare, but it can happen.

It's not lethal to perhaps the vast majority of the population, this is true. The main issue is what it has the POTENTIAL to do to "our" ability to provide critical care to those that need it (Tubed, placed on a vent and monitored). The Doc/RNs/RT/Techs etc are getting exposed to a higher degree, face going into quarantine themselves and/or experiencing more complications if they come down with it. If they're compromised it exacerbates the problem. Supplies are limited, the normal amount of Trauma/Medical emergencies are still happening on a day to day basis. In my world, it's real out here. 

I'm glad I got my Charmin supply two weeks ago so the minions can fight over the Scotts TP..."aint nobody got time for that".

Hopefully we never reach what Italy is going through, we are all in it to win it so to speak. Stay well, wherever Y'all may be!

Edited by Unit#8192
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, 17D_guy said:

People don't seem to grasp that the health care system is also a finite resource.  Read the articles and look at the videos that came out of China a few months ago. 

Exactly. The real threat is our inability to treat everyone if we had a large spike in new cases in the high risk groups.

• Like 2

I probably should have made my sarcasm a little more overt. 

I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard those comments repeated to me by family, friends, and neighbors. 

This is the biggest world event in our lifetimes, and the effects of which will be felt or many, many years. Thanks for doing what you do Unit#8192. People like you are about to become the heroes of this year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, torqued said:

I probably should have made my sarcasm a little more overt. 

I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard those comments repeated to me by family, friends, and neighbors. 

This is the biggest world event in our lifetimes, and the effects of which will be felt or many, many years. Thanks for doing what you do Unit#8192. People like you are about to become the heroes of this year. 

I assume it's a lost cause, but they don't really have to speculate on this.  If they accept a spherical earth and can read a chart they can just look at the numbers from Australia.

They're lagging behind the hotspots of the world so their magnitude is low at the moment and they aren't in the news, but the shape of their curve is unmitigated exponential growth just like everywhere else.  2-3 weeks will be enough to put this theory to bed.

Granted there is actual scientific data to show that temperature does affect the virility of this thing in an absolute sense, but that doesn't mean it's enough of a factor to stop its spread and anybody suggesting otherwise definitively is an idiot.  In other words, the country is in good hands.

8 hours ago, torqued said:

It’s just the flu. Last years flu killed way more. When we get warmer weather, this will clear up. The markets will bounce right back. Buy the dip!  So many great deals to be had.

You don’t have to call brickhistory out like that.

19 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

You don’t have to call brickhistory out like that.

Seems a cheap shot for post that's not even in this thread.

Did you see the fine print at the bottom of the referenced post?

Perhaps recycle humor detector or whatever...

But my not so world shaking opinion is that we will

A) Weather this over-dramatization and come out strongly in which case those that stayed the financial course will be better than ever and those that risked buying while the market is crashing will find themselves amply rewarded.

B) The whole thing implodes and we find ourselves with Weimar-like currency and a Walking Dead scenario.  In which case, I'll have to see how my investments in ammunition and how long my stamina hold up in keeping the walker herds at bay before they eventually overrun my place.

Either way, I'm sure that no doubt well-deserved administrative punishments given in the past will be moot as life moves on

JBSA just went to HPCON Charlie...

https://www.jbsa.mil/Information/CDC-Novel-Coronavirus-Response-Support/

Team JBSA,

In response to the increased number of positive COVID-19 cases on the installation and cases of community transmission in our local area, the 502d Air Base Wing and Joint Base San Antonio commander is increasing the Health Protection Condition to Charlie (HPCON C) effective midnight tonight.

Under HPCON C, our critical missions will continue (medical, cyber, training, flying, etc). The 502 ABW will tailor installation support and services to assure mission success and readiness while ensuring the health and safety of our workforce and families. We will be providing more information on HPCON C and its impact on JBSA soon.

We continue to work together with the City of San Antonio and surrounding communities to prevent further spread of COVID-19 and #killthevirus.

Remember, #CalmIsContagious, as is kindness and compassion. We need to make sure we are taking care of each other, now more than ever.

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but in the face of a widespread pandemic, how is training and flying mission essential?  Especially at an AETC base...everybody needs to take a knee for 14 days. I keep hearing “hack the mission, get after the mission”...gonna be kinda hard to do that when some ops group somewhere develops an outbreak of this stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, 08Dawg said:

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but in the face of a widespread pandemic, how is training and flying mission essential?  Especially at an AETC base...everybody needs to take a knee for 14 days. I keep hearing “hack the mission, get after the mission”...gonna be kinda hard to do that when some ops group somewhere develops an outbreak of this stuff. 

Or a maintenance group... Since there are a lot more of them, and they are in close proximity while working on planes.

• Upvote 2