Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tgriff2017

Active Duty Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hey all, I'm currently a 1.5 year 2Lt in cyber applying to the board this July. I know I have a lot to do if I'm going to submit a competitive package, wanted to get some informed opinions. 

PCSM: 32 (up from 27 after TBAS redo)

Hours: 0, shooting for 11 to get PCSM up to 48

AFOQT-P: 70, retaking 15 Apr. Goal is mid 90s.

GPA: 3.36 Industrial Engineering

Getting a letter of rec from an OG/CC (Col, F-22 pilot). I'm also working with a personal friend who's a flight doc to navigate the physical process, looking to get PRK around end of April. His vision was comparable to mine and he's at 20/20. Waiting for optometry evaluation but they said if I'm a candidate, to expect late Apr/early May for surgery. 

Thanks a lot for the help!

Edited by tgriff2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think you’ll have enough time between your PRK, and getting your FC1 signed off in time for the board. With no waivers, it took me ~3 months from appointment to signed off. I think you need to have a 3-month post-op done, and IDK if you can get by without having the post-op done until after your FC1.

Averages last year are on the UFT portion of the Rated Assignments portal. Its a good place for up-to-date information on the board, and the guys that run it are cool and answer questions quickly.

Last year averages for 62 pilot-selects was a Pilot AFOQT of 94, and a PCSM of 85. Lowest PCSM accepted was 63, and 34/62 selectees had a PPL or higher.

The Pilot Selection Process on here has threads for the boards in the last few years. Lots of great discussion there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bob Uecker said:

I don’t think you’ll have enough time between your PRK, and getting your FC1 signed off in time for the board. With no waivers, it took me ~3 months from appointment to signed off. I think you need to have a 3-month post-op done, and IDK if you can get by without having the post-op done until after your FC1.

Averages last year are on the UFT portion of the Rated Assignments portal. Its a good place for up-to-date information on the board, and the guys that run it are cool and answer questions quickly.

Last year averages for 62 pilot-selects was a Pilot AFOQT of 94, and a PCSM of 85. Lowest PCSM accepted was 63, and 34/62 selectees had a PPL or higher.

The Pilot Selection Process on here has threads for the boards in the last few years. Lots of great discussion there.

Bob, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. The lead time for a FC1 was honestly what worried me most and I didn't have much of a straight answer. Between that and lack of hours, I can always try next year once I get some more experience. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tgriff2017 said:

Bob, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. The lead time for a FC1 was honestly what worried me most and I didn't have much of a straight answer. Between that and lack of hours, I can always try next year once I get some more experience. Thanks!

Happy to help. FC1 lead time varies a lot, but is never quick. A PPL will definitely help strengthen your packet. PM me if you have more particular questions to your application.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke to BOMC before all this COVID stuff kicked off and found out they require 6 month waiting period after PRK procedure to do the FC1. New plan is to take the next year and ~4 months to work on a PPL and get PRK, then apply next year. Thanks again for the help!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2020 at 12:12 PM, Bob Uecker said:

I don’t think you’ll have enough time between your PRK, and getting your FC1 signed off in time for the board. With no waivers, it took me ~3 months from appointment to signed off. I think you need to have a 3-month post-op done, and IDK if you can get by without having the post-op done until after your FC1.

Averages last year are on the UFT portion of the Rated Assignments portal. Its a good place for up-to-date information on the board, and the guys that run it are cool and answer questions quickly.

Last year averages for 62 pilot-selects was a Pilot AFOQT of 94, and a PCSM of 85. Lowest PCSM accepted was 63, and 34/62 selectees had a PPL or higher.

The Pilot Selection Process on here has threads for the boards in the last few years. Lots of great discussion there.

As an AD officer is it easier for a Non Rated to apply for Pilot or ABM to Pilot? or it doesn't really matter?

Also, about how long should I wait before applying for UPT? Assuming I just got out of tech school?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DinaMight said:

As an AD officer is it easier for a Non Rated to apply for Pilot or ABM to Pilot? or it doesn't really matter?

Also, about how long should I wait before applying for UPT? Assuming I just got out of tech school?

Way easier to go non rated to pilot.  If you're already rated it's very hard to cross to pilot.  Not impossible, but hard.  Just go on myPers and look at the previous PSDMs for the board's release.  Most of the people getting picked up are not rated.

You can apply whenever you want.  You have to have 1 year TIS before PCSing to your new training.  Being that this board isn't till the late fall, you should be fine to apply this year.

Feel free to shoot me any questions.  I'm weather and got picked up on last year's board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WannaFly2019 said:

Way easier to go non rated to pilot.  If you're already rated it's very hard to cross to pilot.  Not impossible, but hard.  Just go on myPers and look at the previous PSDMs for the board's release.  Most of the people getting picked up are not rated.

You can apply whenever you want.  You have to have 1 year TIS before PCSing to your new training.  Being that this board isn't till the late fall, you should be fine to apply this year.

Feel free to shoot me any questions.  I'm weather and got picked up on last year's board.

Is the difficulty because they've already spent so much on you? 

Sorry, I'm a civilian so I don't know what PSDM or TIS or myPers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with @WannaFly2019 on all.
 

TIS is Time In Service. 1 year TIS means you need to have been on active duty for at least 1 year prior to a certain date to apply for the board. That does not include any sort of ADSC (Active Duty Service Commitment) that is incurred by a career field, which varies between different jobs. Rated guys typically have to wait longer to apply, as they have to go through ~2 years of training, followed by a certain amount of time in their field before they can cross-train. Other jobs, like as an example engineers, have no formal tech school, so they can literally cross over at 366 days TIS.

PSDM is just the memo they send out, 7-8 pages long, documents the process and dates for applying.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...