Air Mobility Command ends flying-only career track - Only two takers

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2020/03/06/air-mobility-command-ends-flying-only-career-track/

“The bottom line is, there just wasn’t the appetite there for the program”

Seems like it was a great deal. Only have to maintain tactical proficiency with zero chance for a non-flying assignment or PME. Only two C-17 bubbas took that deal...

What went wrong? Is there something we’re just not hearing about?

9 minutes ago, FoolMeTwice said:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2020/03/06/air-mobility-command-ends-flying-only-career-track/

“The bottom line is, there just wasn’t the appetite there for the program”

Seems like it was a great deal. Only have to maintain tactical proficiency with zero chance for a non-flying assignment or PME. Only two C-17 bubbas took that deal...

What went wrong? Is there something we’re just not hearing about?

Part of the problem is there were 69 caveats in the PSDM to the Fly Only track. The lack of dudes signing up wasn't much of a surprise around the squadron.

Edited by Right Seat Driver
Spelling
  • Like 1

When pilots said they wanted a fly-only track what they really wanted was a fly-only-when-I-want-make-O-5-and-never-deploy-and-no-CBTs track.  Is there any surprise that the AF didn't develop this kind of plan?  AMCs offering was a tentative outreach that never was going to go far enough to keep pilots from joining an airline, which is a true fly-only track.

It also came with a 20, yes 20 year ADSC.  So yes, people avoided it like Coronavirus. 

I think the option to coast as a grey beard Maj or 0-5 flying the line and perma ADO, coupled with a 100k bonus is the only option to even put a dent in the retention numbers.  

• Thanks 1

It also came with a 20, yes 20 year ADSC.  So yes, people avoided it like Coronavirus. 

I think the option to coast as a grey beard Maj or 0-5 flying the line and perma ADO, coupled with a 100k bonus is the only option to even put a dent in the retention numbers.  

Shack. The ADSC was the death knell. Nobody who is interested in this program wants to be on the hook for that long, or at all. That guarantees you a 365.

As for the pay issue, Over 6 year flight pay in 1990 was $650, it’s currently $700. Adjusted for inflation it should be $1,282 per month. The AF can pay $800 in flight pay for Over 6, and $1000 for Over 10 but they refuse.

I’m not saying it’s all about the money, but erosion of these benefits over time has an effect on retention. I didn’t even mention BAH value cuts. Fixing issues like this and allowing guys to stay on a ‘fly-only’ track that preserves their ability to make decisions about their future might get them to stay for an additional assignment or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 2