Guard/Reserve Fighters

stangles

Hi all,

I think I have a pretty good idea of what my chances are just based off the numerous threads here, but I would gladly accept any feedback from you all regarding my own specifics seeing as many of you are landing interviews and getting hired - so you must be doing something right 😉

28 years old, non-prior

Currently working as a senior software engineer (6 years industry experience) with experience leading projects and teams over the past year or so

B.S. in Computer Science, 3.13 GPA

P94 N88 AA87 V99 Q60

PPL 68 hours

PCSM 85 (96 with 201+ hrs)

LORs: one from college marching band director and two from military family friends who have known me for years (one USAF, one USN)

Leadership experience aside from current job:

- Section leader for 20+ member section junior and senior year in college marching band

- President of service fraternity in college

Other noteworthy (at least I think so) items I address in my cover letter:

- PPL checkride happened to be scheduled right when a work project I was leading had a deadline coming up, managed to pass checkride while working 80 hour work weeks - work project was a success as well

- Moved across the state and switched flight schools, airplanes, etc. while training for PPL, talked about opportunities it created to learn new/different airspace, airplane systems, work with a different instructor, etc.

I'm going for fighters only and have just recently started blasting out applications. Appreciate any and all feedback!

Edited by stangles

1 hour ago, Desk Jobs Suck said:

Your scores are decent, and I say that because of your Q score and 85 PCSM. If you can get your PCSM above 90 then you would be in a better position regarding your scores.

Your age is probably the greatest factor here, especially with your fighters only mentality. I'm not wanting or trying to discourage you but it is seeming that unless you are the perfect fit in a fighter unit, they still don't like interviewing candidates 28 or older even with the new age waiver policy. With that said, rush the units you want to be at and you never know what will happen. They could really like you and not care about the age. There are also some on here who have been picked up by fighter units at this age or older. Also, don't discount AD. You will definitely get a pilot slot and can still get a fighter that way. Good luck!

Thanks for the honest assessment, appreciate it!

Can’t do anything about my age but I can get more flight hours to bump up my PCSM above 90. I’ll start there and see what happens.

Your scores are decent, and I say that because of your Q score and 85 PCSM. If you can get your PCSM above 90 then you would be in a better position regarding your scores.

Your age is probably the greatest factor here, especially with your fighters only mentality. I'm not wanting or trying to discourage you but it is seeming that unless you are the perfect fit in a fighter unit, they still don't like interviewing candidates 28 or older even with the new age waiver policy. With that said, rush the units you want to be at and you never know what will happen. They could really like you and not care about the age. There are also some on here who have been picked up by fighter units at this age or older. Also, don't discount AD. You will definitely get a pilot slot and can still get a fighter that way. Good luck!
I'll argue the age part. It's not ideal and will turn off SOME guard units, but it's in no way a no go. I was 27, applying fighters only. I got interviews at 2 of my first 3 applications before getting picked up.

The place that didn't interview me was my first application. They said my cover letter was my main issue and gave me great feedback that helped me on the next apps.

I'm not saying age is no factor at all, it could have become a bigger factor in the past 18months as the numbers of applications have increased, but I would say it is not a MAJOR factor. It just has to be something you're ready to address if it's brought up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N730 said:

I'm not saying age is no factor at all, it could have become a bigger factor in the past 18months as the numbers of applications have increased, but I would say it is not a MAJOR factor. It just has to be something you're ready to address if it's brought up.

Thanks for the perspective, good to know there's hope for "old" guys.