Brown Nominated to be Next CSAF

M2

Any updates on VRRAD slots or experiences?
I’m on active duty (current heavy IP) with over 19 years in....Airlines are not looking promising.
I can’t just hang out on active & hope the AF doesn’t hammer me (2.5 years deployed Mideast, but no 365).
I was thinking I’d retire, & as soon as the retire orders are produced, apply for VRRAD to do the exact same flying job I’m already doing. 
Possible?
Caveman

Cargo airlines are booming my friend. FedEx/UPS/ACMIs are all hiring, and are projected to continue for the next couple years. FedEx is projected to hire over 400 next year.

I know that’s not what you’re asking, but just want to correct information on here. Don’t let the USAF’s fear/loathing about their various welfare programs put your family in a less than optimum position.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Oldtanker said:

Any updates on VRRAD slots or experiences?

I’m on active duty (current heavy IP) with over 19 years in....Airlines are not looking promising.

I can’t just hang out on active & hope the AF doesn’t hammer me (2.5 years deployed Mideast, but no 365).

I was thinking I’d retire, & as soon as the retire orders are produced, apply for VRRAD to do the exact same flying job I’m already doing. 

Possible?

Caveman

No offense, but that sounds like an awful plan. There are very few ways to outmaneuver the AF bureaucracy.  I don’t think this is one of them. 

3 hours ago, HU&W said:

No offense, but that sounds like an awful plan. There are very few ways to outmaneuver the AF bureaucracy.  I don’t think this is one of them. 

I don't know about the continue flying piece, but I know a guy who did exactly this to escape Dyess and PCS to Eglin.  Retired for exactly one day before going back on AD orders for three years.

Edited by pawnman
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 4:43 AM, HU&W said:

It worked for me quite well.  

In Oct 2009, I three-day-opted a non-flying remote to Iraq.  I had 22.5 years of service, was a U-2 interview pilot, and evaluator in both the U-2 and T-38.  I didn't want to retire.  

The three-day opt required me to retire 1 May 2010.  I was determined to defeat the threat.  I was working a number of angles, but nothing was panning out.  By early 2010, I hadn't found a solution, but I did figure out that I could request a 6-month extension to my retirement date if my Wing CC wrote a letter asking for it.  At the time, the Beale Wing CC was a 1-star.  I presented my case that extending me 6 months was in the best interest of the 9th Wing and the Wing CC agreed.  AFPC isn't going to tell a 1-star to pound sand:  I got the extension.  

Around that time, AFPC announced the VRRAD.  In my first phone call with the VRRAD person at AFPC, I explained that I was still on active duty. 

"Will you be retired before 31 December 2010?"

"Yes, I will be."

"Then you are eligible for the VRRAD."

Basically, one office in AFPC was requiring me to retire... and another office in AFPC was allowing me to return to active duty as a retiree.  I never told the two offices about each other, and figured it was best if they didn't know my plan.  My VRRAD got approved.     

So, on Friday, 29 Oct, I had a short ceremony in the bar and retired.  The following week, I came back to Beale, to my old desk, which I obviously didn't vacate... turned in my week-old retiree ID card... went through in-processing with a room full of 18 year olds (at least I got a verbal waiver from the Vice to skip the Right Start briefings).  I even submitted a travel voucher for my 33-mile drive from home to Beale AFB for my first day back on active duty.  

In 2013, after 3 years, the VRRAD was coming to an end... but I asked the Wing CC to write me a letter requesting a 1-year extension.  He did, and I got it. 

Finally... I retired 1 Nov 2014.  It was my third set of retirement orders, and the second time I actually retired.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 17
  • Upvote 14

On 9/10/2020 at 11:34 PM, HuggyU2 said:

It worked for me quite well.  

In Oct 2009, I three-day-opted a non-flying remote to Iraq.  I had 22.5 years of service, was a U-2 interview pilot, and evaluator in both the U-2 and T-38.  I didn't want to retire.  

The three-day opt required me to retire 1 May 2010.  I was determined to defeat the threat.  I was working a number of angles, but nothing was panning out.  By early 2010, I hadn't found a solution, but I did figure out that I could request a 6-month extension to my retirement date if my Wing CC wrote a letter asking for it.  At the time, the Beale Wing CC was a 1-star.  I presented my case that extending me 6 months was in the best interest of the 9th Wing and the Wing CC agreed.  AFPC isn't going to tell a 1-star to pound sand:  I got the extension.  

Around that time, AFPC announced the VRRAD.  In my first phone call with the VRRAD person at AFPC, I explained that I was still on active duty. 

"Will you be retired before 31 December 2010?"

"Yes, I will be."

"Then you are eligible for the VRRAD."

Basically, one office in AFPC was requiring me to retire... and another office in AFPC was allowing me to return to active duty as a retiree.  I never told the two offices about each other, and figured it was best if they didn't know my plan.  My VRRAD got approved.     

So, on Friday, 29 Oct, I had a short ceremony in the bar and retired.  The following week, I came back to Beale, to my old desk, which I obviously didn't vacate... turned in my week-old retiree ID card... went through in-processing with a room full of 18 year olds (at least I got a verbal waiver from the Vice to skip the Right Start briefings).  I even submitted a travel voucher for my 33-mile drive from home to Beale AFB for my first day back on active duty.  

In 2013, after 3 years, the VRRAD was coming to an end... but I asked the Wing CC to write me a letter requesting a 1-year extension.  He did, and I got it. 

Finally... I retired 1 Nov 2014.  It was my third set of retirement orders, and the second time I actually retired.  

This is inspiring.  Thanks.

That settles it...retire ASAP, apply airlines (particularly Cargo) & for VRRAD as a back up. 

-Caveman

Do your homework on VRRAD. A buddy from my guard unit has < 3 years TAFMS left and got a line number, then had a VRRAD gig lined up to get his AGR/AD pension. He was in touch with the VRRAD program manager, was matched to a specific position and just waiting on funding. 

All of FY20 he has been in a holding pattern, waiting for more VRRAD funds to materialize. It’s not a slam dunk, and might actually be borderline impossible. According to him, VRRAD was abused early on to get a bunch of people into cush gigs at Peterson and a few other bases. Once a bunch of billets were filled and someone did the math, the VRRAD program office realized they were out of funding. They stopped bringing more people back and new applicants are all in limbo. 

Edited by ViperStud
  • Upvote 1

Do your homework on VRRAD. A buddy from my guard unit has  
All of FY20 he has been in a holding pattern, waiting for more VRRAD funds to materialize. It’s not a slam dunk, and might actually be borderline impossible. According to him, VRRAD was abused early on to get a bunch of people into cush gigs at Peterson and a few other bases. Once a bunch of billets were filled and someone did the math, the VRRAD program office realized they were out of funding. They stopped bringing more people back and new applicants are all in limbo. 

I was Active Duty guy who did VRRAD. How did he your buddy get accepted if he hadn’t retired yet. I thought the program was for individuals who had retired, or were retiring within 12 months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:34 AM, HuggyU2 said:

Huggy, let me guess....you flew all 4 of those years?