Brown Nominated to be Next CSAF

M2

I met him last year and was super impressed by his vision of multi domain dominance. I've worked with several people that worked with him at PACAF, CENTCOM or in the 8FW and had nothing but good things to say. 

Holding out hope that any CSAF will materially improve life for airmen is just asking for disappointment. The best we can hope is he just doesn't further f it up.

Edited by nunya
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, alwyn2d said:

Looks like the fighter MAFIA is still in business. He still won't stop the flow of pilots. When it comes to QOL, Locations & Money, the AF is not even in the ball game unfortunately. 

And what would your preference of CSAF be?

6 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

My personal preference of CSAF would be a career ops O5 straight to CSAF.  That would shake things up.

You're going to have to do something more to entice me to come back out of retirement... again.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, SocialD said:

Right, the last time we put a non-fighter guy in there, he made blues monday a thing...

And implemented the f***king waist measurement on the PFT...

17 minutes ago, dream big said:

Who cares about old shoe Chief of Staffs? This guy is the real deal.  Fighter pilot, weapons officer, down to earth ops focused dude.  

Yes, unless there's some tea-leaves I can't read (always possible) he seems like the least "get exec early and ride coattails" GO I've seen in a long time.

1 hour ago, dream big said:

Who cares about old shoe Chief of Staffs? This guy is the real deal.  Fighter pilot, weapons officer, down to earth ops focused dude.  

Maybe...but is he going to hold the frozen middle accountable? Seems like each recent CSAF has great background/ideas, but the same difficulty executing because of the bureaucracy in between. 

Edited by SurelySerious
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, dream big said:

So was Welsh.  Lots of hopes were high.  And he decided to front load a RIF and then cash in all of his chips trying to park the A-10.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BFM this said:

So was Welsh.  Lots of hopes were high.  And he decided to front load a RIF and then cash in all of his chips trying to park the A-10.

So was Gen Goldfein but all I can remember about him presently as the CSAF is a Rapid Fielding Acquisition Light Attack Experiment that went no where and the AF song becoming more politically correct.   

Most CSAFs were great Squadron, Group and Wing Commanders but the unfortunate part about CSAF is that they have to wade through the political crap in D.C. and we rarely see any real change for the better.  

• Upvote 1

Can anyone explain to me why these guys are unwilling to ruffle feathers at that point in their careers? They can't advance beyond their current position, and they're financially secure for the rest of their lives. All of them preach integrity, but not one is willing to fall on his sword (Integrity for you, career advancement for me). The best I can come up with is that these dudes think if they toe the line hard enough, they might get a shot at Chairman of JCS. That's pretty brazen to sacrifice your entire branch of service to maybe get one last promotion before you retire. I'm genuinely curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Royal said:

...but not one is willing to fall on his sword ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Fogleman

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/07/29/us/criticism-over-blast-leads-top-air-force-general-to-retire.html

July 30, 1997

As my tenure as your Chief of Staff ends, I want to tell you what an honor and a privilege it has been to represent everyone in the United States Air Force.

The timing of my announcement was driven by the desire to defuse the perceived confrontation between myself and the Secretary of Defense over his impending decision on the Khobar Towers terrorist attack. The decision to retire was made after considerable deliberation over the past several weeks.

On one level, I’ve always said that my serving as the Chief of Staff was a “tour” not a “sentence” and that I would leave when I made all the contributions that I could. After I accepted this position in 1994, I met with other senior leaders of the Air Force to discuss our goals for my tenure. We wanted to take care of the troops and their families, to stabilize the force, to set a course for modernization, and to develop a new strategic vision. During some difficult and challenging times, we have worked hard to accomplish that and more. Certainly there is more to be done, but the framework of the plan and the leadership [are] in place to move forward with the support and efforts of the magnificent men and women of our Air Force.

On another level, military service is the only life I have ever known. My stock in trade after 34 years of service is my military judgment and advice. After serving as Chief of Staff for almost three years, my values and sense of loyalty to our soldiers, sailors, marines, and especially our airmen led me to the conclusion that I may be out of step with the times and some of the thinking of the establishment.

This puts me in an awkward position. If I were to continue to serve as Chief of Staff of the Air Force and speak out, I could be seen as a divisive force and not a team player. I do not want the Air Force to suffer for my judgment and convictions. In my view, this would happen if I continue as your Chief. For these reasons I have decided to retire and devote more time to personal interests and my family, … but the Air Force will always be in my thoughts.

[My wife] and I have met a lot of wonderful American servicemen and -women—active duty, Guard, Reserve, civilians, and family members—and they will continue to be a part of our lives. We have been proud to represent the men and women of the United States Air Force around the globe and to serve in the finest Air Force in the world. God bless and keep you all as you continue to serve this great nation.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Wasn't Mosely also fired for refusing to take directions to reduce our near peer capability/readiness in lieu of being all in on the GWOT? 

This is where I forgive and also condemn Schwartz. Understandably he was given a job under the premise he would do what his predecessor would not. At the same time though, it would take a string of dissenting GOs to make any sort of impact. In fact, at the level of Washington, Generals don't hold any real power. 

1 hour ago, Royal said:

Can anyone explain to me why these guys are unwilling to ruffle feathers at that point in their careers? They can't advance beyond their current position, and they're financially secure for the rest of their lives. All of them preach integrity, but not one is willing to fall on his sword (Integrity for you, career advancement for me). The best I can come up with is that these dudes think if they toe the line hard enough, they might get a shot at Chairman of JCS. That's pretty brazen to sacrifice your entire branch of service to maybe get one last promotion before you retire. I'm genuinely curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

Amen, amen, amen. 

George Carlin once said that Americans were long ago bought off and silenced by toys and gizmos, and as a result, nobody has any guts anymore. Nobody questions things or rocks the boat.

Toe the line and you will forever have all the material comforts most people can only wish for. Material wealth and the ego boost of being The Big Man on Campus are powerful forces.  I’m disgusted by the gutless wonders (in and out of the AF) who run things. Sadly, I don’t think it will change.