24 AFTPs and Finance

With the new reg that was published sometime last year, we are now allowed to do 24 AFTPs per quarter and a max of 72 per year. Unfortunately the finance system apparently couldn’t handle that minor change and all additional AFTPs past 16 had to be done by hand through CMS.

So I have 8 AFTPs that still haven’t paid out since Aug/September 2019... and another 8 that haven’t been paid since October/November...

I run to my finance office yesterday to ask what is going on and I am told that the have stopped processing additional AFTPs until the finance system gets fixed.

Does this check with what you guys are hearing at other ANG bases?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 2/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, Duck said:

I run to my finance office yesterday to ask what is going on and I am told that the have stopped processing additional AFTPs until the finance system gets fixed.

I haven't heard anything about them not processing our additional AFTPs.  But when I did process those additional AFTPs it took over 3 months for them to pay it out.  My plan going forward is just to do all the additional AFTPs at one time so they can all be processed at once and lessen the pain!  I'll ask around on Monday.

6 hours ago, brabus said:

Haven’t heard that here. But finance has fucked up several dude’s flight pay, so we got that going for us. 

Welcome to the part timers world...our flight pay has been fucked for the last 2ish years.  I've all but given up on trying to keep up and just hope they're doing it right.  

54 minutes ago, SocialD said:

I've all but given up on trying to keep up and just hope they're doing it right.  

That was my stance, then a bro pointed out I wasn’t getting flight pay when I had an unrelated question and my LES was up. Turns out I wasn’t the only one when everyone pulled their pay up. Also incorrect rate was also found in several cases. Finance is probably in the hole about $20k to the FS at large. Dipshits. 

51 minutes ago, brabus said:

That was my stance, then a bro pointed out I wasn’t getting flight pay when I had an unrelated question and my LES was up. Turns out I wasn’t the only one when everyone pulled their pay up. Also incorrect rate was also found in several cases. Finance is probably in the hole about $20k to the FS at large. Dipshits. 

Ok so you made me question things and I just took another look.  In a rare instance that I'll stick up for our finance, they seem to be getting it right.  So what I'm getting paid with each pay card is ACIP of $21.67/pay card, which is the equivalent of the old rate of $650/month.  Then a few days later I get another pay card (labeled AVIP/DIR Com SP) of $11.66/pay card that makes up the difference and brings me up to the equivalent of $1000/month.  So on my cursory look, it appears they have it nailed down, but I'll be sure to send out a message to the guys to make sure theirs is correct. 

In defense of finance, they're just trying to play the shit hand they've been dealt.  A SMSgt in finance (who really knows her shit), when I asked when this would be fixed, said they've been told that they're just going to have to deal with it until the new finance system is rolled out sometime in 2021...

But if you were in debt to them, they would be wearing you out.

• Upvote 2

Not defending Finance in the least because I’ve had more than my fair share of troubles with them, BUT, I realized the fallacy of their situation several years ago when I walked into their office to remedy what I thought was a fairly simple issue. I asked to have my LES pulled up so we could both look and verify what I was seeing was correct and understood. When I asked some other innocuous question about a pay status or something, can’t quite remember, the dude literally had to roll over to the next workstation and access that particular system that dealt with my new question. There was no ability to have multiple windows open in different programs to give you all of the information on one screen. I’m so glad we pay for the cheapest software option even though it provides the most headache. 

On 2/22/2020 at 10:47 AM, Duck said:

Apparently our finance was to busy to answer any one of the 4 or 5 numbers I called numerous times throughout the day, but out OG says the additional pay cards are still a thing.  

Could it be that local finance means they're not actually processing them and they mean you need to go through the CMS case process?  Right now the process is that I input an AFTP into AROWS, then I send an e-mail to our ARMS NCOIC, and (ONLY on the 1st or 15th of the month) can he input a CMS case for each pay card.  Then sometime in the next 3 or 4 months I get paid.  Don't forget they'll fuck up the withholdings and you'll be taxed anywhere from 30-40%.  But this is a non-issue "because you'll just get it back when you do your taxes..."  Love me some free loans to uncle sam.  I was paid out for all of mine last FY.  Great waste of man hours but the only way to get paid these additional pay cards.

This year, I plan on just doing all the additional AFTPs in one quarter and submitting them all at once.  This seems to be about the least amount of ass pain for our ARMS guy.  

19 hours ago, brabus said:

Fair point that they’re dealing with a royally jacked up system. My frustration is more towards the finance empire at large and not necessarily at the individuals locally. 

That said, herk also nailed it.

Reference above (plus another sad incident I found out about today)...I take back the nice things I said about finance.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One other gem I forgot to mention is that they didn't take any TSP contributions out of extra pay cards.  I have every possible pay type set to 70%+ contributions and it still didn't make my contributions for me.  So we got that going for us, which is nice...

42 minutes ago, pawnman said:

You guys are really selling this guard/reserve thing...

It may seem that way, but I just love to complain about shit that wastes peoples time.  It's not even my time really, it's the poor ARMS guy that has to do all the CMS cases.  Also, these are just ADDITIONAL pay cards that they recently gave us and we don't even have to use if we don't want...I've made it the last 10 years without them just fine.  Many in my squadron do not even use them because it's not worth the massive pay cut to use them.  Only reason I'll even use them this year is for pre-deployment spin-up stuff.  If you want to have a QOL super drinkoff wrt AD vs my lifestyle, I'm down lol.   

So I got the full story today. A couple months ago, DFAS apparently shut down all AFTP processing for about a week or so thinking they were going to get some new system, but that blew up and is now delayed at least a year.

My AFTPs had just been sitting with someone at my base finance in CMS for over a month and a half because she didn’t know how to process them...

But bottom line, AFTPs #17-24 are still done in AROWS and then have to be routed to DFAS through CMS. Expect a slow payout on those ones.

37 minutes ago, Duck said:

So I got the full story today. A couple months ago, DFAS apparently shut down all AFTP processing for about a week or so thinking they were going to get some new system, but that blew up and is now delayed at least a year.

My AFTPs had just been sitting with someone at my base finance in CMS for over a month and a half because she didn’t know how to process them...

But bottom line, AFTPs #17-24 are still done in AROWS and then have to be routed to DFAS through CMS. Expect a slow payout on those ones.

I dont know what the exact method is supposed to be but, my unit does NOT use AROWS for #17-24, only #1-16. I believe it has something to do with AROWS only being designed to process 16 per quarter.

We fill out paper 105s and turn them into someone on our CSS or whatever it's called, then they fill out another form and send it all over to Finance for processing. The Finance opens the CMS case with DFAS.

You may want to double check just to make sure you dont screw yourself even more by logging the extra FTPs in AROWS.

Edited by Kenny Powers

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

I dont know what the exact method is supposed to be but, my unit does NOT use AROWS for #17-24, only #1-16.

We fill out paper 105s and turn them into someone on our CSS or whatever it's called, then they fill out another form and send it all over to Finance for processing. The Finance opens the CMS case with DFAS.

You may want to double check just to make sure you dont screw yourself even more by logging the extra FTPs in AROWS.

That's the method we used for most of last year, but then early this year we got told we had to start doing it the way Duck outlined. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...