CloudAhoy

quicksilver88

Anyone use CloudAhoy either personally or in their squadron?  I know someone in AMC does, because it's available on our EFBs.

Looking for any information you have.  How good of a debriefing tool is it?  Did your squadron pay for it?  Does it play nice using the iPad/ForeFlight/Stratus?  Pros/Cons, etc...

Thanks! Any info is appreciated.

Just a still-in-UPT-dummy bubba here with just some anecdotal/not likely super helpful info, but we've had access to it for all of UPT. I don't think I saw any IPs use it during T6s, but I did just have one use it recently during Toners. It was pretty in-depth and seemed to break down each section of the flight (pretty sure I saw being able to map a specific approach, too), which was quite a bit more than the green lines Foreflight is giving.

Again, I don't know how to use it personally (and we're not supposed to have Location Services on, anyway), but it did seem to be pretty useful when the one IP I've seen rock it went through our flight in debrief. 

It's mainly good for debriefing in depth on approaches, and enroute flying.  It plays nice with stratus until you start going upside down where the GPS track typically drops out past 90 bank.. so not great for grading aerobatic parameters.  

As with any debriefing tool, using it for the sake of using it is never the answer.  Lots of tech for the sake of tech happening in UPT right now, with not a lot of purpose behind it.  If you have a good reason to really dig into something that happened in flight, cloudahoy analysis could help hammer home DFPs for more complex errors.  I remember specifically using it to debrief trends on multiple patterns, consistently tight leading to overshooting finals etc.. using the black line gods eye view.  Same goes for botched holding entries because those are pretty hard for students to remember in retrospect.