Air Force allows beards & turbans and such

filthy_liar

On 2/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, Homestar said:

99/100 are meeting your uniform and PT standard without exceptions.

You have no idea how scarily inaccurate this statement is.  

Sadly, I had to find some of this information out as a part of my Puzzle Palace job.

Over 24% of our force is on some sort of profile; over 15% are waist measurement only.

Exception has unfortunately become the new normal, which is why so many seem to be carrying significant angst to this point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't think there is a right or wrong. But we have people arguing for both "equality" and "diversity" when, in some cases, they are logically incompatible.  If diversity is recognizing the differences in groups of people and putting a positive value on those differences, how do you achieve "equality" when you give "diversity" special status and privileges above everyone else? Choose one.
Diversity is feelings, Equality is logic.

I’m arguing for equality of opportunity within military standards and reason which is what we currently have. I’m arguing that the equality of outcome that we also have is damaging us. How many diversity groups do we have to make sure are represented? Sex and skin color are the big ones. But why do we stop there? Why not regional, state, hair color, eye color, dialect, accent, parents income, type of school attended. I mean the possibilities are endless and we are making it about individual traits instead of accomplishment and effectiveness. Then claiming that when it isn’t that way there is some sort of systematic racism or sexism or religious bias when there just isn’t.

Everyone isn’t a victim.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, war007afa said:

You have no idea how scarily inaccurate this statement is.  

Sadly, I had to find some of this information out as a part of my Puzzle Palace job.

Over 24% of our force is on some sort of profile; over 15% are waist measurement only.

Exception has unfortunately become the new normal, which is why so many seem to be carrying significant angst to this point.

I consider on-profile as meeting the standard. Not sure how many pregnant women are on profile, or how many knee surgeries are on profile. I was on profile for a shoulder injury after my Afghanistan deployment. I could still max the push ups but I was in recovery. I’d be more interested in how many are failing the PT test. 

But I am sad that you had to research that. 

5 hours ago, Guardian said:

I’m arguing for equality of opportunity within military standards and reason which is what we currently have. I’m arguing that the equality of outcome that we also have is damaging us. How many diversity groups do we have to make sure are represented? Sex and skin color are the big ones. But why do we stop there? Why not regional, state, hair color, eye color, dialect, accent, parents income, type of school attended. I mean the possibilities are endless and we are making it about individual traits instead of accomplishment and effectiveness. Then claiming that when it isn’t that way there is some sort of systematic racism or sexism or religious bias when there just isn’t.

Everyone isn’t a victim.

Eye color? I know you’re being sarcastic, but nobody is calling for a thousand diversity groups. There are federally protected classes (race, gender, sex preference, etc.) that the military should make reasonable accommodations for. What we’re all arguing about is the extent of “reasonable.”

• Upvote 1

You know what really pisses me off? Urinals. I mean, why do we have two standards for toilets? It’s so dumb. Nobody even has a urinal in their house unless they’re some kind of fanatic. I just don’t understand why everybody isn’t pissing the same. The standard should be the standard. 

Urinals are emotion. Sitpissers are logic.

Edit to add: trying to go out of this discussion on a lighter note. Appreciate all the opinions; you have my agreement to disagree if you want it.

Edited by jice
  • Haha 1

Eye color? I know you’re being sarcastic, but nobody is calling for a thousand diversity groups. There are federally protected classes (race, gender, sex preference, etc.) that the military should make reasonable accommodations for. What we’re all arguing about is the extent of “reasonable.”

Thanks for assuming intent again Homestar. I’m going to assume that you are going to make claims for my statements again without retraction or reflection.

But I was asking an actual question. Where does the diversity stop. Skin color is as ambiguous of a physical trait as eye color causing a diverse life experience with which a line could be drawn. You state federally protected class as your answer. Should that be it? Should those even be in there?

I love Morgan Freeman’s take on it.

When are we just viewed as people with different life experiences and abilities. Why have a black history month? You are going to relegate a race’s history to a month? Why?

Forced equality of outcome and perceived diversity outcome causes issues. That’s the bottom line.

2 hours ago, Guardian said:

Thanks for assuming intent again Homestar. I’m going to assume that you are going to make claims for my statements again without retraction or reflection.

But I was asking an actual question. Where does the diversity stop. Skin color is as ambiguous of a physical trait as eye color causing a diverse life experience with which a line could be drawn. You state federally protected class as your answer. Should that be it? Should those even be in there?

I love Morgan Freeman’s take on it.

When are we just viewed as people with different life experiences and abilities. Why have a black history month? You are going to relegate a race’s history to a month? Why?

Forced equality of outcome and perceived diversity outcome causes issues. That’s the bottom line.

I’m not going to give you an itemized list of what I think, primarily because I’ve only given it superficial thought, and secondarily because I don’t think it’s very important. But if you can’t handle someone making inference from the words that you type I suggest you stop making arguments on the internet.