$7k+ bill from TRANSCOM for POV Storage

billy pilgrim

Several years ago I stored my POV when I went to Japan, then did a COT to USAFE.  I had a POV in storage on my original orders and was briefed by TMO that I could just keep my car in storage if I wanted to.  I did so, spent a few years in USAFE and got back to CONUS and picked up my car this past summer.  Last month I got an email from an accountant at TRANSCOM giving me a week or so to give my authorization for storing my car.  I sent in both sets of orders.  TRANSCOM comes back saying that my Japan storage is okay but I will be billed $7k for keeping my car in storage for my USAFE tour.  This is the first I've heard that it may not have been authorized.  I sent my follow on orders to the storage company several years ago when I PCS'd and they said I was good to go.  The verbiage on my two sets of orders is slightly different, one says POV storage authorized and the other says that member has a POV in storage at gov't expense.  The latter phrase is the one that TRANSCOM has issue with.

Dead ends trying to get my four year old orders amended at my past base, or AFPC and elevating the issue at TRANSCOM (Scott AFB).  I feel like I am in the seventh level of bureaucracy / shoe-clerk hell and need some help.  Anyone have any experience with this type of stuff?

Thanks, I have spent about 95% of my free time the last month or so trying to work this.  Any idea on where I can go from here?

Same on making it my full time job till corrected. Expect them to just start garnishing wages until they pay off your “debt” had it happen to me as a young Lt, with no money, student loans and a newborn. Went to my Commander who said, “that sucks, you should of had an emergency fund” UFB. On a related note, I have $11k in Guard pay still due to me from 2019 that hasn’t paid out yet. It’s amazing how difficult they make these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Like 1

Tracked down TRANSCOMs POV shipment and storage contract after some help from the local contracting office.  This whole thing only occurred because the contractor (IAL) didn’t uphold their end in several areas - like notifying me that my storage was no longer authorized etc...

I brought this up when I asked for an 30 day extension today and was told to expect the collection letter tomorrow.  There is a DoD IG report from 2016, during this timeframe on the lack of oversight between TRANSCOM and IAL on this exact contract.  UFB

Trying the IG - thanks for the links.  Anyone here do a congressional inquiry or anything before?  This is a mess.

Edited by billy pilgrim