Current AD to UPT

Deeble

Hello all, longtime lurker here.

I am currently an active duty O-4 looking at applying to UPT for FY21. I'm medical, so I came into the AF as an O-3 and have 5.5 years of active service. I commissioned as part of a scholarship program in 2011, so I know I will need an ETP for TFCSD. I'm rather unhappy in my career but love the military and want to be more operational.

My AFOQT scores were 91/99/87/98/65 but my TBAS was an abysmal 33 (0 flight hours). I plan on retaking the TBAS, of course, and working on getting some hours. 

My main concern is that my rank will affect any future career I would have as a pilot. I just pinned on Maj in Sept '19, but after being in training status for year(s) what would my promotion chances look like? Now that promotions are changing to give folks up to 5 looks, I think I would still be okay. I only know of two people from the medical corps that have switched to the LAF, specifically CSO. I would be interested in pursuing CSO or RPA as well. 

My other concern is that if I went the Reserve/Guard route, as an O-4, I have to be sponsored already; I can't just apply to the quarterly AFRC board. I am open to rushing units but feel like they will have the same promotion/rank concerns. 

1 hour ago, jazzdude said:

What medical specialty? If you're a doctor, might be worth looking into the pilot-physician career path

I wish - I'm a pharmacist. I did look at the program, and it's awesome, I just don't meet the req's. 

2 hours ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

Know a Maj and quite a few Captains going through UPT (both Guard/Reserve and Active), so it really doesn’t seem to be an issue. 

I had seen several Capt's get picked up on the AD boards the past few years, just never a Maj. That makes me feel a lot better to hear!