Where the Frontier guys at?

SPAWNmaster

Hey all. I'm a guard dude. Building time at my first 121 gig (regional) and have my apps out to the majors. Frontier just announced a hiring window and I'm wondering if we have anyone from there on these forums that I could talk to. Me: Civilian chief pilot and DO experience, obviously Air Force pilot, speak multiple languages, over a decade of civilian work experience including management at successful startups (including one to IPO). So I'm a fairly driven guy with some unique experiences. However I'm still pretty low time and the Legacy's won't give me the time of day. Again, mainly looking to talk to Frontier guys right now to learn more about how I maximize my app during the window. But I'm also open to talking to anyone from Jetblue or Spirit as well.

Thanks bruhs (and brahs)!

Edited by SPAWNmaster

F9, B6, and NK. Most here don’t know what that means, so I recommend you spell it out. This isn’t APC, and a few extra key strokes might make a difference. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

Ok fair enough. I just figured the folks who this applies to know exactly what it means.  Thanks for feedback and look forward to connecting with anyone who can reach out. 

edit: spelling/words

Edited by SPAWNmaster

8 hours ago, SPAWNmaster said:

Ok fair enough. I just figured the folks who this applies to know exactly what it means. 

I understand, however realize that many military pilots here go direct to one of the big 6, and don’t grow up in 121 regionals. I had to look up two of the airlines you abbreviated, and yet I was hired by United long ago.  
Want help?  Know your audience. 

Edited by HuggyU2

20 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I understand, however realize that many military pilots here go direct to one of the big 6, and don’t grow up in 121 regionals. I had to look up two of the airlines you abbreviated, and yet I was hired by United long ago.  
Want help?  Know your audience. 

A strange criticism.  The guy asked for feedback from folks at three specific airlines- those who could provide said feedback would certainly know what their respective IATA code was.

Critiquing him for asking for feedback on this website in the first place makes more sense.  Probably not going to get much out of this place.  Better off going to APC.

• Like 1

No, Karl, you're wrong.  

To address your point, I do not know the IATA codes for most airlines.  Yet I am someone who could potentially provide him the feedback he desires as I am friends with very senior people at two of those airlines, including a pilot who is single-digit seniority at one of them and another who is involved with hiring.  

The OP can accept my critique or not.  It was offered as feedback to help, not to make him feel good.  

And whether he accepts my critique or not is of no consequence to you.  

Edited by HuggyU2

14 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

No, Karl, you're wrong.  

To address your point, I do not know the IATA codes for most airlines.  Yet I am someone who could potentially provide him the feedback he desires as I am friends with very senior people at two of those airlines, including a pilot who is single-digit seniority at one of them and another who is involved with hiring.  

The OP can accept my critique or not.  It was offered as feedback to help, not to make him feel good.  

And whether he accepts my critique or not is of no consequence to you.  

Bizarre double-down.

I must have missed where he asked for advice from “ U2/United pilots who love name-dropping their astronaut buddies and humble-bragging their air show experience” in addition to folks from NK, JB, and F9.  He must have edited that out at some point after your silly nitpicking.  And yet, even after your holier-than-thou nitpicking, and all the inside knowledge you have from your single-digit seniority friends and friends in hiring, you didn’t offer any actual advice (other than the weird IATA thing).

Enjoy your last word to follow.  Whether you accept my feedback is of no ultimate consequence to me, but I certainly found the exchange insightful and mildly amusing.

Cheers.

SPAWNmaster:  I’ll be transparent that the only real advice I can provide is to seek out this information on APC.  Good luck, I think you’ll have no problem getting hired by any of the three you mentioned!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spawn,

If I were you, I'd just keep riding it out at your regional until you get the offer from your company of choice.  It's only a matter of waiting it out.  I've given this same advice to the young guys in my Guard unit as well.  Keep doing the mil flying, upgrade at your company then wait it out.

If F9, B6 or NK (oh snap!) are your target, then absolutely apply.  I would not make the move to any of those though simply to fly bigger metal.  If AA, DL, UA, WN (shiiiiit) are what you're aiming for, then 121 PIC time at your regional will be your quickest path.  Upgrading to AC/IP (if you aren't already) in your MWS is certainly advisable, but if you want to get to a major ASAP then I would argue your regional is the best bet.

Good luck!

• Like 1

OP would be way better off sticking it out at his regional, upgrading to Captain and packing his resume with 121 MTPIC time, adding check airman to his resume, perhaps working on a union committee or some other volunteer work.

All of that will be more important on the resume and the "career airline" application than the A320 type or the bump in pay at Frontier or any of the ULCCs.

Always Politely Correct (APC 🤔) has quite a bit on Frontier as Huggy and Karl mentioned - APC folks mentioned that a “recent (currently open)vacancy shows 48 new positions. This upcoming Monday will be the litmus test on how many warm bodies show up...

AA, UA, DL, etc. pretty well known compared to F9 (lite twin pros), but confusing to say the least so there’s that. Definitely provides insight as SQ, EK, KE, QF, LH, NH and always OZ plus many more cause myself to have a meltdown when scheduling pushes a Deadhead (DH) somewhere delightful, sand centric or virus prone 😝

19 hours ago, AirGuardianC141747 said:

somewhere delightful, sand centric or virus prone 😝

How's your side of the cargo fence handling China travel?

UPS recently negotiated with their union for volunteer on China trips, no-penalty removal for people with scheduled China trips, and 150% pay for those who do volunteer.  Purple, right now, has business as usual.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:51 AM, Hacker said:

How's your side of the cargo fence handling China travel?

Well... Besides the common sense increase in hygiene recommendations (Wash hands, wear your masks, use your sanitizers, avoid physical contact, etc), there have been some other adjustments.

Minimize Aircraft/Crews in higher threat areas which correlates to minimizing overnights if at all. Basically pass thrus, but my thought is then where do I go? Not like the other surrounding areas aren’t feeling the pain. Granted, Korea seems just OK, Japan is highly preferred for myself having lived there before and I speak the language and have already had their healthcare system clean me up before.

We started “Heavy Cleans” as aircraft transition these areas, but I am unsure of its effectiveness or what this virus 🦠 likes or dislikes is impacted by this. You know as I do from our military service, some things work and some things are there to make you feel better about it even though you know your toast. 

There was a mention of Union assistance to address specific concerns and Company/scheduling mitigation to work out details if we request not to enter certain areas. I haven’t tested this as of yet, but it’s a nice thought if it truly works. Haven’t seen any monetary compensation as of yet, maybe some Delta Dollars or Hilton Honor points may do the trick 😅

Personally, I have a more capable mask system that I acquired during my last trip to Korea and some old school charcoal coveralls before I retired, but that’s not the point - I pickup better pay rates in the sand centric areas and would rather stay on that side of our flying eating schnitzel and brats. I may have to ask scheduling to be kind and use my “good will pill” they hopefully owe me. Would be nice to have some mil leave right about now, I envy ya’ll.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, SPAWNmaster said:

But I'm also open to talking to anyone from Jetblue or Spirit as well.

So there I was...

In Orlando a few weeks ago for some sim training prior to my new MDS qual course.  MCO is nearby and we get a ton of crew dudes at the bar in the hotel.  One of the dudes who I conversed with was a Spirit guy, and he offered that while there may be a lot of hiring in the future, expect SIGNIFICANT stagnation, as a lot of their initial hiring swarm is extremely junior and moving up in seniority will be slim to none for possibly decades.  Take that how you will.

Cheers!

On 2/11/2020 at 7:02 PM, war007afa said:

So there I was...

In Orlando a few weeks ago for some sim training prior to my new MDS qual course.  MCO is nearby and we get a ton of crew dudes at the bar in the hotel.  One of the dudes who I conversed with was a Spirit guy, and he offered that while there may be a lot of hiring in the future, expect SIGNIFICANT stagnation, as a lot of their initial hiring swarm is extremely junior and moving up in seniority will be slim to none for possibly decades.  Take that how you will.

Cheers!

Good inputs, thanks! Assumptions in my calculus include being a career FO and/or only taking jobs where the contracts mitigate the typical QOL concerns that stem from stagnation. I think the offset of such downsides also include the ULCC's inherent resilience against recessions and the like plus the continued upward mobility towards legacies where the gaps are most advertised. In other words, I can see the point about stagnation but hopefully it's not as bad as it could be. Food for thought though. Thanks again!