Pulmonary Function Test Waiver

snappingflyer

recently took a Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) at FCI because I was born a few weeks early. didn't pass - apparently my bronchial tubes are somewhat obstructed and all my measurables were 'below normal.'

I've got no asthma history, no history of inhaler use, never smoked, have played sports all my life (including college football), recently ran a half marathon at a pretty good clip, and have never had any difficulty breathing. despite all of this, flight surgeon at FCI said the chances of my waiver getting approved for a below-normal PFT are 'iffy at best.'

does anyone else have any history with poor PFT results? I'm getting a second PFT test in the coming days and will hopefully be sending some improved results on to the staff at USAFSAM.

thanks for your input.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/9/2021 at 10:52 AM, ChristisKing said:

Any update on this? I just did my FC1 last week, passed everything but my PFT. I did test positive for Covid last September, and the fight surgeon believes this has something to do with it.

I’d love to hear an update from you

@snappingflyer @ChristisKing

I'm in the same boat. I was flagged for having below normal FEV1/FVC numbers. Repeated the PFT with better but still "below normal" results and they wanted me to wait even longer to retest. I just tested negative today with my civilian doc on a methacholine challenge test so that should rule out asthma.

I still don't know what to expect. Is asthma the only concern with the below normal PFT result and will the negative MCT be enough to get me stamped off?

Any update from you guys would be appreciated.

Edited by Queso_3